Sign in to follow this  
Guest F-16CJ

RAF Lightning F.Mk6 on some of the problems

Guest F-16CJ

It is said that lightning F.Mk6 installed in the nose is Faraday's interception AI-23 radar, but now the Lightning F.Mk6 plug-ins are the cockpit of the F-100D, ask the following questions ....

AI-23 radar intercept performance how?

Lightning is not from the beginning F.Mk1 installed the AI-23 radar?

Lightning fighter in real radar screen to see it?

ThankS! :good:

as far as I'm aware noone has yet produced a Lightning cockpit, if you want to substitute the F-100's for another pit then copy and paste the cockpit folder, cockpit ini & avionics ini from the donor aircraft into your lightning folder. You will also need to open the data ini of the donnor aircraft and copy the "detectsystem" section and paste that into the lightning data ini.

Once youve done this you must rename the copied ini files and rename them as per the names listed in the lightning config.ini.

Craig

I been using the F-4B/C since day one...only because of the twin engine annunciator panels. Radar screen's in the wrong place with the Rhino, pit, but it's a small matter....

Avionics could probably use a tweek, but that's something for another day!!

Wrench

kevin stein

using the Voodoo pit is also an alternative

Guest F-16CJ

Re Post3 and Post4

F-4B / C and the cabin Voodoo sets up I felt quite uncomfortable .... modify AVSION.INI then it must surely be necessary, but I do not have the AI-23 parameters.

Re Post2

If they do lightning cockpit, big change F-100's cockpit is unavoidable (unless the re-modeling), I do have a study of the history of aviation, the above picture shows lightning F.6 cockpit, instrument did not seem to F the -100, but this map is incomplete, only a small part can not see ......

Thank you Post2, Post3 and Post4 the views of our friends!

F-16CJ

Guest F-16CJ

Re Post6

Thank you!

Re Post7

Third-line Web site in our Screened out here ....Depressed!.......

Lightning's have a Ferranti Airpass AI-23 in the pointy bit also used in the SAAB J35H. For a radar performance is simialar to whats in the Mirage III but has better low level performance. Also if someone is going to re-do it can they do something about the performance as she should be able to climb from the Runway with an Intercept load pair of Firestreak - Redtop at somewhere around 50000ft a minute and should officially top out at 60000ft... but dont ask U-2 Dragonlady drivers that... Below is from Wiki but has been confirmed elsewhere in at least 3 books...

In 1984, during a major NATO exercise, Flt Lt Mike Hale intercepted an American U-2 at a height which they had previously considered safe from interception. Records show that Hale climbed to 88,000 ft (26,800 m) in his Lightning F3 XR749.

I have only seen footage from Lightnings dogfighting but they are nimble jets as the Test pilot has said...

The late Roland Beamont (Lightning development-programme chief test pilot), after flying most of the 2nd Generation Century series US fighters of that era, made it clear that in his opinion, nothing at that time had the inherent stability and control and docile handling characteristics of the P1 series prototypes and Lightning derivatives throughout the full flight envelope. Its turn performance and buffet boundaries were well in advance of anything known to him, the Mirage 1 included. This remained so right up until the next generation of fighter/interceptors was developed worldwide, with underbelly intakes and straked leading edges, or canards.

Also acceleration wise it goes like the proverbial scalded cat... and was also the only fighter able to catch Concorde :-

In British Airways trials in April 1985, Concorde was offered as a target to NATO fighters including F-15s, F-16s, F-14s, Mirages, F-104s - but only Lightning XR749, flown by Mike Hale and described by him as "a very hot ship, even for a Lightning", managed to overtake Concorde on a stern conversion intercept.

Some has been sourced from Wiki but has been confirmed by seperate sources minimum 2 other sources (being thorough). Anyone wants the information let me know...