Sign in to follow this  
EricJ

Bombing with the Pig

I'm looking for some good recommendations on how to be accurate with bombs with the F-111A, any tips?

700 ft, 700 kts off the deck, loaded with snakes. When your site is over your target, pickle them off. You will never miss.

Wilco :good:

Personally I have recently decided to use the games ccip hud function as a stand in for the myriad real life accuracy aids that are not yet modelled. I really enjoyed the MF approach with the ARN101 Phantom so decided on a similar set up for the F-111A, using MJ's latest gunsight works well, however I decided to add a custom flightpath indicator and centerline marker to aid with flying below three figures. I am not at all sure if there would have been provisions for such in the real thing, but for me it kind of stands in as a harder alternative to auto terrain following radar.

Cool stuff, thanks!

Personally I have recently decided to use the games ccip hud function as a stand in for the myriad real life accuracy aids that are not yet modelled. I really enjoyed the MF approach with the ARN101 Phantom so decided on a similar set up for the F-111A, using MJ's latest gunsight works well, however I decided to add a custom flightpath indicator and centerline marker to aid with flying below three figures. I am not at all sure if there would have been provisions for such in the real thing, but for me it kind of stands in as a harder alternative to auto terrain following radar.

That method I posted was one we learned when we first did the Varks years ago. Is fool proof and doesnt require and modifications to the ini's at all.

And a technique that requires practice for me, though I found out a diving attack works wonders too, pickling bombs off.

And what is this jazz about terrain following radar? Or need of one?

Some pictures ilustrate better what I mean, the first shows final adjustment getting inline with the target (extra low and close for dramatic effect) you can see the gunsight wandering up towards the hud. Second shot I have pulled level to get a better spread of bombs and to leave time to pull up (only just still), at that point you are in a bit of a bother because you wont see the target as it will be below the field of vision of the cockpit which is where imagination really comes into it, I toggle cockpit off for that part and watch the pipper walk up to the target as I overfly the target or more often start the pull up thereby taking on the role of the fire control computer myself seeing as we don't have them modelled into the game yet.

Granted my approach may involve a bit of a fudge but I just feel better having at least some kind of bombing assistance than none at all! The USAF certainly didn't waste billions of dollars on aircraft like the F-4 and F-111 so they could dive bomb with them!

The last picture for me is the reason Thirdwire games are still after 5 years, my favourite. For me it's like one of my all time dreams come true to feel like I am flying in a F-111 and doing the business, of course there are limitations to any game that attempts to simulate anything from real life be it tennis, chess or arm wrestling, but all in all I am just so very happy that at 26 I have the chance to play out in these sims the dreams I had as a little boy. So kudos to all that help and support these sims and may the haters next tyrds be as hedgehogs.

post-13988-1233197356_thumb.jpg

post-13988-1233197370_thumb.jpg

post-13988-1233197387_thumb.jpg

the real sight has 2 green bars which, if both with 0 deviation, build a + shaped cross in the middle of the sight, ends of the bars touoching the outer 50 mil circle

the bars were used to indicate several things, TFR "fly to" direction , ILS and other NAV relates stuff and weapon delivery commands for Toss Bombing etc.

the real sight has 2 green bars which, if both with 0 deviation, build a + shaped cross in the middle of the sight, ends of the bars touoching the outer 50 mil circle

the bars were used to indicate several things, TFR "fly to" direction , ILS and other NAV relates stuff and weapon delivery commands for Toss Bombing etc.

Thank you for that info Crusader, I noticed you upped the radar range in the avionics too, I was wondering to do that myself. One day, maybe we could have provisions from the game engine to build a truely representative hud for this most awsome of aircraft but in the meantime the one you made is just great! Thanks

Do you have any pictures of the real hud sight by any chance?

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos

only the 111D has a real HUD, all others have that "can do anything" red LCOS with green bars.

pics.. yep.. somewhere

Brilliant!! I have been searching the net but found nothing. "Can do anything", I like that :biggrin: So the green bars were in addition to the red part, so in theory because the gunsight is part of the optical glass, it can stay red and the bars if part of the "hud" could be green, but am not sure that would work because they wouldn't follow the gunsight... unless. hmm thinking to do.

700 ft, 700 kts off the deck, loaded with snakes. When your site is over your target, pickle them off. You will never miss.

Yup. My best luck with iron bombs when cluster bombs don't have the HE effect for success.

500 to 700 feet altitude. Pickle a string of snakeyes at a really wicked speed for your mudmover of choice. PGMs are grand, but nothing makes a better statement on your hostile country of choice then gobs of colateral damage. It's just not right when the enemy isn't whining that we took out a hospital, baby milk factory, orphanage, home for wayward fathers or such, to take out the altimate target that threatens peace, democracy, and any of the wildest whim of any CA member. Strap on a ride and go bomb stuff.

:ph34r: CL