Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

Question for you USAF types

I've noticed on some pics of aircraft (mainly fighters) that in addition to the usual tail code letters the squadron ID is also displayed instead of the a\c serial number ?

1466696.jpg1466190.jpg

On the very dirty Viper on the right, it's number is displayed AF 91-407 I think...

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

The newer viper actually does have the serial number on the tail. It's just really small. You'll find it next to the S on the right. From my experience on having to fill out plot sheets (where you have to drive around the flight line and take down tail codes) I've come to find out that there is no regulation on the size of the tail code numbers.

I probably didn't phrase my question properly, what I meant to ask was, is there a set standard for what is displayed (serial number or squadron ID) or does it vary from unit to unit, or even a\c to a\c within units ?

I have noticed that the last-four of the serial is also displayed in small numerals on the nose too.

The serail code is always on the tail. It has to be. You need to know what aircraft is parked on the flight line. I've never come across one that doesn't have a serial code. Now, not all aircraft have a squadron Number on the tail. Our birds at March (mainly KC-135 and C-17) have the march banner on the top of the tail and the AMC badge, but that's about it. But I think all fighters do have a squadron ID. Some may not be as flashy as others. It also depends if they're in a deployed area. In deployed areas, they're usualy subdued. Back at home base though, where they're stationed from, they're usually in their full colors.

Well, typically from what I've seen, most USAF (ACC and AETC) aircraft display the 2 letter base identifier on the tail, then the serial number which consists of the letters AF and the last 2 digits of the fiscal year the aircraft was allocated to be built , then usually the last 3 digits of the actual serial number.

Sometimes you will see 4 digits of the serial number if there are more than one aircraft with the same last 3 digits....i.e. 923 and 4923.

Also, somewhere on the aircraft in smaller print is the actual completeserial number, usually consisting of the last 2 digits of the year of the aircraft, a dash, then the full serial number.

Finally, this changes if the aircraft is assigned as the Squadron, Group, Wing, or numbered AF bird. Then you will usually see a slightly flasher tail code (usually the base color and a contrast color..creating a shadow effect), then the identfier of the particular Squadron, Group, Wing, Numbered AF, etc.

In the pictures above, the left F-16 is for the 4th FS at Hill...designated as the Squadron bird. The one on the right looks like just a generic line bird of the base.

Sometimes you might see variants of this in Reserve or ANG units...but usually for only specific designated aircraft.

FC

So, would that be like how Navy squadrons have the CAG birds, that are all colourful?

This does get me interested though, it seems like almost all the aircraft from the former 102nd Fighter Wing at Otis* looked like Squadron Birds.

*I'm still pissed the BRAC gave the Eagles to the 104th, Otis is a perfect place for Eagles.

Thanks for he replies guys !

FC: That was exactly the answer I was looking for, cheers.

So, would that be like how Navy squadrons have the CAG birds, that are all colourful?

yep

This does get me interested though, it seems like almost all the aircraft from the former 102nd Fighter Wing at Otis* looked like Squadron Birds.

That is because they are Air National Guard and basically State owned, so they are a bit relaxed on what all they can apply on their aircraft.

-S

There is one exception...birds on non-standard ops. I've seen pics of planes like SR-71s with "spurious" numbers on their fins so plane-watchers wouldn't know what plane was where.