Sign in to follow this  
xrearl

AV History

From what I've seen and used of the work produced, this is definitely a plus for the TW sims.

Question? Are they going to limit their focus on WWII era aircraft using the TW engine? Or are there plans to branch out and create some modern stuff as well? Helicopters would be great!

I'd say it's good news -as I wrote on Thirdwire earlier today -not only the AV History 1% guys are coming to help witch FMs, but they'll also may make others from CFS look seriously onto Thirdwire stuff. But also I must agree with Dave's post.

So welcome guys!

Slightly OT:

In fact the CFS3 engine is better (or rather more advanced) than TK's in some particular and narrow areas like said specular mapping, ground objects and units implementation mostly.Also some aspects of weather system and more detailed terrain mesh resolution. But that's ok for me, I've never been into modding CFS (3), love TK's sims for a long long time. Sometimes play MAW or ETO.

And, by the way, IF you haven't noticed already:

He who shall not be named is an ass.

Personally, I'd prefer not to say that these fellows are coming over "to help with flight models" because the implication is that we require help when in fact we have been making very good flight models for many years. It will be nice to have another team dedicated to high-quality mods working on the sim. Nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, I'd prefer not to say that these fellows are coming over "to help with flight models" because the implication is that we require help

I put it wrongly -i'm happy they consider moving into Thirdwire world, because I'm familiar with they'r work, and recognize it as of very good quality.

There is need of new prop/helo flightmodels, that's for sure.

I put it wrongly -i'm happy they consider moving into Thirdwire world, because I'm familiar with they'r work, and recognize it as of very good quality.

There is need of new prop/helo flightmodels, that's for sure.

Yeah I am glad they are going to be working on SF, too. :good:

Hey ndicki! It'll be nice to see some more old friends from the CFS3 days here.

I was around MAW for a while myself, but left when fairly simultaneously 1. Stopped kidding myself that I had the time for a constant commitment to an ongoing project 2. Luca got really ****ing mad at me because of my snail pace with a beta model 3. just couldn't use gmax anymore now that I had 3ds and 4. got really sucked into strike fighters.

Actually, you can sortof model in gmax and transfer the model to 3ds to export. And as far as some more advanced mapping goes, who knows? The engine already does specular, reflective and glossiness effects, it may not be a terribly big deal or expensive undertaking to modulate the existing effects via a texture map.

Perhaps the AI in SF2 can handle 1% flight models properly?

Thanks to refinements in First Eagles and extended by Wings Over Israel, the current AI and FM modeling engines are way beyond where this series was with the 08.30.06 versions.

I haven't spent much time pushing the limits with high fidelity FMs since these new patches came out... but the behavior of the stock aircraft in single missions and campaigns tell me a lot just from the seat of the pants feel. SF2 pushes the envelope even further. Why couldn't this sim existed in this form when I was still single and wasted a bunch of time trying to improve Jane's USAF?

As far as receiving "help" goes, I see the FM modders as a very small understaffed community.

The possibility of gaining individuals that have a knowledge and understanding comparable to those already making the best FMs is a great thing.

Even if all they ever do is crank out WW2 aircraft, that happens to be an area that can benefit greatly from their presence, as I expect them to be more like the Mirage Factory:

Quality before quantity.

Welcome to those coming over from Microsoft titles. Hopefully you find the Third Wire sims to be as fun as I have all of these years.

Hello to all the other CFS3 refugees! I haven't run away, I'm just doing my rounds!

I haven't really been looking at the SF series as a support for WW2 - the existing WW2 add-ons are (apologies to those concerned) closer to CFS1 or 2 than CFS3. Therefore I've been using each for what it was designed to do. I would very much like to see a CFS3 first-rate aircraft, such as some of those in MAW, in SF. We would effectively be looking at Mirage Factory quality, or even beyond.

Having said that, SF does lag behind CFS3 in a number of ways which will affect my view of it as a WW2 sim. One thing is that it does not (yet?) allow you to take control of other positions in the aircraft. This is one point where CFS3 and IL-2 score seriously. Another problem is propellor visuals. You can't really see the blades, even when the engine is just ticking over. This may be something which can be easily fixed.

A further point is the CFS3 "spawns" system. While this does get in the way if you're designing serious historical missions where precise events need to be scripted, I love the "Go flying and see what you get" feel in CFS3. It also allows such things as enemy aircraft taking off when you arrive over their field, and so on. I haven't discovered a way to do this in "Le Missionneur" as yet. It may not be possible. In CFS3, you can design a round flight to have a series of random spawns (which also can be set to spawn aircraft or other objects only so frequently) which make missions utterly unpredictable. SF missions are on a par with CFS1, where only scripted aircraft will appear. CFS2 had a system of alternative scripting, which depended on certain criteria being fulfilled before a further event was generated. This system of "trigger" events was unfortunately not carried over into CFS3. In its way, it is as useful as CFS3's spawning system.

Looking then at the main failings of SF as it stands, I would pick on the inability to swop positions, and the absence of an official mission builder. Ideally, this mission builder would incorporate features from other flight sims, such as the ones I've mentioned, and that could make it an incredibly powerful tool.

Of course, developing powerful tools costs money, and I for one would be happy to see such a thing released as a payware add-on.

One of the things which weighs heavily in favour of SF as an eventual platform for the following generation of WW2 simming is that where MS basically take your money and tell you to stuff off, TK shows an ongoing commitment to working with the community to improve and perfect his sims. And they are very good to start with.

As far as FMs are concerned, I do not think for a moment that AvH see it as coming to give anybody a hand. I think they simply want to do their thing, and if the people want to go for it, they'll be happy. I have no idea whether they'll branch out into post-1950 aircraft, but I hope that they will do so albeit without losing their specificities. What I do know is that when they do release an aircraft, for whatever sim they may be concentrating on, it will be an instant "must-have!"

Edited by ndicki