Sign in to follow this  
MetalMania

mind blowing google maps/earth location

I'm probably not the first person to call it out, but I just looked up the satellite picture of Davis Monthan Air Force Base on Google Maps. WOW. Mind blowing how many aircraft are out there covering several decades of military aviation. What surprised me was I even spotted a couple of F-102 or F-106, and what appeared to be a decent number of what looked like P-80? Even some Canberras (or what appeared to be Canberras). There must be hundreds of F-4s out there. F-111s. B-52s. B-1s. F-15, F-16, A-10, F-18, F-14, A-6, T-38, A-7, A-8, and on and on and on and on. Amazing.

I like how the flight line at Minot AFB is blacked out so people can't count B-52s, at least it was a few years ago, I also haven't looked at other bases to know if they are like that.

I like how the flight line at Minot AFB is blacked out so people can't count B-52s, at least it was a few years ago, I also haven't looked at other bases to know if they are like that.

I just tried it (Minot) and it's not blacked out but there's a join between two different sat images right in the middle of it so it's a little off. I've poked around a little and most of them seem to be "normal" images. Ellsworth for example has the B-1s in plain sight.

I just tried it (Minot) and it's not blacked out but there's a join between two different sat images right in the middle of it so it's a little off. I've poked around a little and most of them seem to be "normal" images. Ellsworth for example has the B-1s in plain sight.

Yeah, I just looked, it is a different image than when I looked a couple years ago, as the housing area where my HS girlfriend lived on Winding Way is no longer in the image, it was in the last one. (those houses were torn down in about 1998 I believe) So they def updated it.

Just checked but no blacked out area's :biggrin: guess nothing is secret now a days. Or more like that any potential threat has it's own spy satelites

i remember when google earth first popped up, if you checked on Edwards AFB, you could see the F-22 by one of the hangers, that was being used for early test flights.

just did a double check on edwards, you can see a Global Hawk sitting by a B-1 on the lowest part of the base.

Edited by rovert97

If you get the latest version of google Earth you can roll back the years and check out previous coverage, kind of neat now but if it goes for a few decades or more it'll be interesting to see how areas develop.

The Canberras at Davis-Monthan are probably Martin B-57s, license built Canberras.

well, the practicality and usefullness of counting airplanes on the ramp with imagery taken months or even years ago is not likely to be all that great.

missile silos, on the other hand.............

What's the point, really? Everyone knows we have thousands of the things. Russia is the only one who ever had a chance of making a successful pre-emptive strike (as in wiping out our ability to retaliate) and they already know where all those things are by now, I'm sure!

look at Bien Hoa Airbase (Airport), and about 100 meters west of the airport icon, on the taxiway heading towards old USAF bunkers, is an SU-27. There's also a DC-3 type plane on the runway.