Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Rise of Flight review on SimHQ Forum

SP will include single missions and generated campaign starting close to the end of the war. All the fancy realistic medals they show on screenshots and recent videos will be awarded only in campaigns. MP will have its own set of achievements.

Thanks Viper. So we'd start out with 2 flyable aircraft in campaign on either side ? Would the major aircraft of the late war period on both sides also be available to fight against as AI ?

Well, AI is pretty good and very life-like. As for planes, there will be more than 2 for AI and more will be added later for free. But players will have to pay to unlock them if they want to fly add-ons themselves.

Well several weeks have passed since my last post here and the whole internet connection thing has been well defined by the devs now. Such a shame for RoF that neoqb have decided to go this way, especially for the SP side of this game. I'll admit I kind of waffled both ways on buying RoF but after watching the news last night and seeing that report on the cyberspying, well RoF is definately out for me in it's present form. It's to easy I would think for someone to extract info from your computer if you kind of allow it too. I know I might be reaching here, but after seeing what some of these persons are able to do if they want to it's just not worth it no matter how great it looks. Thank God for FE and BHaH my WW1 fix should be fine for the next couple of years.

I'll wait and see but it doesn't look to flash for SP folks like myself who play SP exclusively. At this point, and unless things change drastically in the future, I won't be buying this product.

I think the problem is they can't figure out how to get people to pay all the time for offline only games! :wink:

I think the problem is they can't figure out how to get people to pay all the time for offline only games! :wink:

Good point Jedi Master and I agree 100% :good:

This whole mess with RoF flight just get stranger and stranger everytime one of the devs make a statement on their blog. Their latest was for a call for closed beta testers, but only open to active virtural squadrons :dntknw: ? They have said before that SP was as important to them as MP, but their latest action seems to say otherwise. This game is looking more and more like the WoW for flight sims, even the fanboys are sounding like they are a little peeved right now :biggrin:

I guess I'm in the minority in that I like games to have both SP and MP, and both to be good of course!

Sims like Il-2 annoy me because the AI is so lousy (and I'm not one of those who define AI quality by "whether they shoot me down a lot or I can shoot them down a lot", I define it by believability and historical realism, which IL-2's AI fails in both) for both SP and coop MP, and TW's MP shortcomings have bugged me as well.

By contrast, I found CFS3, LOMAC/Flanker, EECH, and F4 to be more balanced. Whether you fly SP or MP only or both, there was something for all 3 groups.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I like games to have both SP and MP, and both to be good of course!

Sims like Il-2 annoy me because the AI is so lousy (and I'm not one of those who define AI quality by "whether they shoot me down a lot or I can shoot them down a lot", I define it by believability and historical realism, which IL-2's AI fails in both) for both SP and coop MP, and TW's MP shortcomings have bugged me as well.

By contrast, I found CFS3, LOMAC/Flanker, EECH, and F4 to be more balanced. Whether you fly SP or MP only or both, there was something for all 3 groups.

I use to mess around with MP and SP too Jedi, but available time pushed me out of serious MP. I do have time for the airquake stuff if I wanted too, but co-op is really the only MP I would play. Unfortunately that requires time for training and being able to get on line and fly when your needed...so I'm out for now. Yes I agree with what you said about Il-2, I have 1946 but rarely fly it. Right now I spend most of my free time with FE, BHaH, BoB2, WoV&WoE, B-17 II, GPL, Steel Fury and SHIV.

I should clarify, I ONLY fly co-op MP! I have no interest in H2H because I also have little time to practice and I play a ton of different games so when I do fly I don't want to be killed in 30 seconds by some guy who does nothing but fly THAT sim for 20+ hrs/week!

Looking at the Official Rise Of Flight website, I notice that several days after its release, there are only 197 posts on the Russian forum.

This would suggest to me that sales are pretty poor.

I hope this sim is a success however the viewing stats on the ROF website look worrying.

Edited by Davy TASB

First I've heard of it. The promo screenshots look good. Would be interesting to hear more about this sim.

WOW

Well fellows, I just pre-ordered Rof and will be receiving it in a couple of weeks, at least that's what the latest release date (6-29) says. I'll try it out and give you an objective review and comparison of RoF and BH&H. I must admit that I've been an OFF flier for a while, but, that can be an advantage to being objective because I am familiar with it's good points and it's bad ones. From what I've surmised so far RoF will be released with two, count 'em, two flyable planes, the Fokker DVII and the SPAD XIII. In my opinion it only comes with one flyable as I abhor SPADS just as much as I do Thunderbolts. I'm not a boom and zoomer. I love a good dogfight. So, in the amount of flyable planes available, RoF loses, hands down, right out of the gate. Single player campaign in RoF is almost non existent from what I've read. So far, from what I've read, there are some canned missions and a mission editor so you can make your own if you'd like. Compare that to OFF's dynamic SP campaign mode and it's a slam dunk who wins there. Right now I'm just speaking from what I know about OFF and what I've had confirmed by those in the know about RoF. I'll refrain from saying more until I've had a chance to fly RoF, which should be in a couple of weeks, barring any more delays.

CJ

Well I can give you a review now.

Its hard to compare ROF to other games. OFF has the campaign and many other things, FE has 100 plane models and and is loads of fun. ROF is light on content in its initial release, the user interface is threadbare (but beautiful), requires online single play and a good computer.

But put simply, comparing ROF to other ww1 games, or any flight sim I have played, is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford.

ROF is superb. The FM, the AI, the damage modelling, the graphics, the physics. There isn't anything like it, most especially in terms of flying, fighting and realism.

Edited by peter01

That all depends on which Ford you're talking about! :biggrin:

Still sounds to me like it will get boring after a month or 2.

LOL Jedi.

But it is an valid comment.

My feeling is that most people that buy ROF are just going to go WOW! at first, its that good. But then, as it is on initial release, may easliy get bored within weeks due to the lack of content in terms of planes, campaigns, missions.

But more then likely, modders will do campaigns, missions, skins very quickly - many people interested in RoF have done similar things for Il2 and there are many ww1 aficionados that have great deal of interest in the game and will do whatever it takes to make it a great ww1 game. The modding future looks bright, the game will probably attract the best modders.

Most importantly, neoqb seem very committed to building the game quickly - flyable 2-seaters with artillery spotting, new flyable planes (they have many at various stages of development), new AI planes (the Pfalz D3 has already been released as AI for Russian version). They have talked about new campaigns, better quick combat and a dynamic campaign generator.

I think that ROF has got the basics very right - graphics, FM, DM, AI, engine mangement, feeling of flight, great misson tools with triggers - that it will grow strongly and quickly, and probably for many years, it is so advanced.

These are just my views, but it is what neoqb has promised, and everything they have done, and seem to be doing, confirms this. In a more general sense, I'm sure you would feel as I did if you played the game, that it is so incredible -way ahead of anything else - and neoqb who have spent a long time and a lot of money, that they would be crazy not to develop this game considerably.

And its what neoqb have always stated as their business model ... content over time.

Of course those that aren't convinced should just wait and watch developments before they purchase.

But I think its a mistake to dismiss the game on its content in the initial release. It'll be one of those games that grow continuously and quickly, and that will be half the fun.

I agree quality over quantity. But I am very worried about having to "Log on" to play SP.

I loved the Total War games. Bought Empire, had to get Steam, the game went back. Total wate of time effort and money.

I paid for the game! I want to play it!

Well, if they follow industry practice in a year or so we'll see compilation editions with more planes and features than it has now for the same or lower price as the release.

The only TK sim I didn't buy on release WAS First Eagles because it only had 3 planes! I felt the price was too high for that. When I saw it at GoGamer I think for $20, I picked it up. I bought the expansion pack on release, though, because it had MORE than the release game (including the necessary Camels and Dr.I) and I felt it was worth that price.

I don't doubt they've got the foundation for a great sim here, I just doubt the sim as currently available is great. :wink:

Well, if they follow industry practice in a year or so we'll see compilation editions with more planes and features than it has now for the same or lower price as the release.

Absolutely. Maybe in terms of content, even several months. But you'll still have to pay for flyables I'd guess.

I don't doubt they've got the foundation for a great sim here, I just doubt the sim as currently available is great. :wink:

It depends on definition of great. I understand your point, yet based on the quality, IMHO, its not only great as the most advanced flight sim currently available, its a miracle that as a ww1 flight sim development of that quality it ever saw the light of day.

Edited by peter01

I can only compare it to one thing: Back 2 Baghdad, an old F-16 sim released in the mid 90s.

It was the most accurate F-16 sim ever made, some argue even more than F4 which came some years later. I don't know if the latest Free Falcons and whatnot have made them more accurate or not, but in the 90s B2B was as real as it got. It also had a premium price. I can't remember now if it was $100 or what, but whatever it was it cost 2x the average sim of the time.

If you wanted to experience taking off, flying, landing, and shooting weapons in an F-16, B2B was tops.

Unfortunately, they neglected the rest of the sim. Terrain bordered on poor for the day, AI was almost nonexistent, and mission/campaign options were anemic. Some people raved about how great the F-16 was, and how you couldn't experience it on the home PC any better.

The game flopped hard. People didn't want a faux MSFS with an F-16 with working weapons. It was a good flight sim, but not a good combat sim.

My definition of "great" means the entire package. Very few flight sims have managed it. Red Baron 2/3D, Falcon, Longbow... those were "great."

Far more common are the ones that have some aspects perfect but miss the mark in other areas to the extent that people continue to complain about those particular failings years later, despite the games' success. Things like solo play in Il-2, multiplay and terrain in TK's sims, campaigns in ED's sims, etc. Il-2 survived because of the online MP side. TK's survived because of the open modding. ED's with good AI and modeling.

They are good, don't mistake me, but they're not "great". :wink:

It sounds like RoF is the perfect game to experience WWI dogfighting action for those 2 planes, where you take off, fly around, shoot and get shot at, and land. It doesn't sound like it's even coming close to achieving what RB2 did over 10 years ago, given the technical limits of the time, with regards to making you feel like a pilot in the war.

To put it another way, when I go to buy a car, just because the engine gets great mileage and it handles like a dream I'm not going to get it if the tires are cheap, the interior looks like an arts and crafts project by a kindergarten class, and the thing is beset with rust. I'm willing to accept a reduction in some of the "excellent" qualities to improve the "acceptable" or even "lame" parts.

"Unfortunately, they neglected the rest of the sim. Terrain bordered on poor for the day, AI was almost nonexistent, and mission/campaign options were anemic."

You may have the wrong impression about RoF, thats not the case with this game.

In fact terrain, AI and missions/campaigns are excellent. It will have many more flyables, certainly AI. There must be 30 or so models, many with cockpits that have been seen over time. See http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2678372/1.html. The Fokker Dr1 for example was probably the first developed, featured in many videos some two years ago - neoqb could indeed have many just waiting on the shelves so to speak.

RoF does not really seem to have any basic game weaknesses (including immersion), other then it can be tweaked/improved over time like all games, and of course additional content after release.

Doesn't sound like the game you describe, Back 2 Baghdad. And RB2 was a disaster on release.

There isn't anything like it, most especially in terms of flying, fighting and realism.

You are right about that, this is most certainly isn't anything like it.

A WW1 Flight sim being released without any British aircraft in the sim. Very realistic, I must say!