Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Adding a launch rail...

I have read the knowledge base... http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=24863... And if I've understood, I need a model of a sidewinder launch rail in order to fit one to this Hunter I'm messing round with (SF2).

Here are the screenies as we are now; the missiles appear in the right place, and function correctly, but don't have a rail. If I've got it right, that's because the aircraft model itself doesn't have a rail there either. Right so far...? So I have to add one.

Which is the problem. I have GMAX, but not 3DS MAX. And GMAX won't export LOD files.

So... Does anybody have any advice on where to get a rail from?

Thanks!

PS Don't look at the aircraft itself too much. All very WIP!Incidentally, in the photo of the real one, spot the "mistake"...

Edited by ndicki

Spot on. The SAAF never used Hunters, primarily because they'd already been excluded from the Commonwealth for being "unmentionable"; so they got Mirages instead in 1963, to replace their Sabres. This Hunter can only be Rhodesian - and the paint scheme corresponds to what was in service at the time. Goes to show, though!

So, what you're asking is how to add a pylon, as opposed to a launch rail (which would be part of said pylon)

Well, first off, you'd need a pylon to add!! Unfortunately, I don't think there are any.

Meaning: a new one would have to be created in MAX, then exported and blahblah and set up as a weapon (or, more likely using the "fake pilot'' method) -- just as used on the MiG-17PFs/PFU, MiG-19P/PM for the missile pylons and radar nose, or the 2nd cockpit as seen on the P-38M mod.

If you look at the Paki F-6 Farmer, the Cuban Mig-17AS (and probably a couple others), you'll see that the additional weapons stations are added via ini edits, using an item from Ye Olde BunyPak called "F6" ... these are the pylons that attach to the wings. In the case of the Paki Farmer, the outboard sidewinder rails. (or on the 17AS, outer bomb rack).

So, for the final answer, you need someone to CREATE a pylon set, spaced to fit between the drop tanks, and added via the known methods.

Adding the weapon stations themselves, as you've done, is a pretty simple matter.

Wrench

kevin stein

So, for the final answer, you need someone to CREATE a pylon set, spaced to fit between the drop tanks, and added via the known methods.

Adding the weapon stations themselves, as you've done, is a pretty simple matter.

Wrench

kevin stein

OK, except that I said "rail" for "pylon with a rail". Look on the bright side - I've understood how it works! I did hunt through the weapons packs I've got to see what there might be, but there wasn't.

Know any easily-tameable modellers?

Know any easily-tameable modellers?

:whip: Don't I wish!!!

Like trying to herd cats!!! :rofl:

Hey, you got the important "basics" down!

Wrench

kevni stein

That is one major problem with SF. 3DS MAX. It costs a fortune to buy - we looked while a gang of us were wondering where to go after CFS3 - and even if it is apparently easier to use than GMAX, nobody's going to pay that kind of money just to pass the time. Why TK didn't go for GMAX, I don't know - he'll have his reasons, I'm sure, but I wish... I could do it myself, given probably several hours (!) in GMAX. Or if there were a GMAX exporter...

They have a 30-day trial version. In 30 days, with my incredible modelling abilities, I may just work out how to make a cube or something. In GMAX, they have a "make-a-teapot" button. I'm good at making teapots. In fact, that's about all I've really ever managed.

The funny thing is that as a rule, the modellers can't paint, and the painters can't model. Wonder why!

Edited by ndicki

OK, so it's blocky, disappears at certain angles (????? Why? Admittedly, it isn't textured, only coloured in MAX) and it's in the wrong place - BUT IT IS THERE! Using the false fuel tank principal.

Now I have to read more about that bloody modelling program before I can go much further.

Later... Still not going to win prizes for elegance, but...

Last night I was doing this for you... but here we had a blckout from 3 AM to 12 noon.

RAAF_Hunter_SW_Pylon.gif

RAAF_Hunter_SW_Pylon.jpg

I see now that you already start doing the missing pylon, if you like I can send you mine, if not, well, it could be usefull for another project.

Last night I was doing this for you... but here we had a blckout from 3 AM to 12 noon.

RAAF_Hunter_SW_Pylon.gif

RAAF_Hunter_SW_Pylon.jpg

I see now that you already start doing the missing pylon, if you like I can send you mine, if not, well, it could be usefull for another project.

AleDucat, that looks brilliant! Mine is rubbish in comparison - I'd be really grateful if I could use yours - it looks exactly right! I'll PM you with my e-mail address. Many, many thanks!

Great, so we will have Hunter with AIM-9 :smile:

Great, so we will have Hunter with AIM-9 :smile:

Is this lekker, or is this lekker, my chinas! As used ONLY by the Rhodesian Air Force...

Is this lekker, or is this lekker, my chinas! As used ONLY by the Rhodesian Air Force...

:good: I want it!! Got an ETA on release?

THIS is how it should -- assisting each other!!

Gentlemen, I praise you!! Fantastic work!!

So, like when we seeing this bird??? "2 weeks"?? :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

Need Zambian MiGs to kill now!

zaaf_mig-21bis_af612.jpg

Looks good guys, great team effort...

Need Zambian MiGs to kill now!

zaaf_mig-21bis_af612.jpg

Looks good guys, great team effort...

Ag, Josh, are you trying to tell me you don't have a Zambian MiG? Shame... :biggrin:

THIS is how it should -- assisting each other!!

Gentlemen, I praise you!! Fantastic work!!

So, like when we seeing this bird??? "2 weeks"?? :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

:happy::smile::grin:

Maybe a bit less... Two weeks is a long time in modding! Wait a bit, it won't be long. I want it as near spot-on as possible first.

Ag, Josh, are you trying to tell me you don't have a Zambian MiG? Shame... :biggrin:

No, but I just took off in a Gina from Thornhill, flew up to the Zambezi and back..

This one is not Zambian, though. Look closely... :blink:

No, but I just took off in a Gina from Thornhill, flew up to the Zambezi and back..

See Bob Mugabe anywhere? :good:

See Bob Mugabe anywhere? :good:

No, unfortunately he had a prior engagement, he was getting knighted or being given some award for his efforts to fight hunger in Africa or something of the sort.

I am stumped on that MiG, I should know it but nothing is coming to me.

Don't worry, you haven't lost your touch!

Republic of Zingaro Air Force (RZAF) - a small country landlocked between SA, Zim and Botswana. Difficult to find on the map...

Don't worry, you haven't lost your touch!

Republic of Zingaro Air Force (RZAF) - a small country landlocked between SA, Zim and Botswana. Difficult to find on the map...

Proving to be quite difficult :dntknw:

Wrench, I hope we can set an example :grin:

Nigel, send me that MiG and I'll give a try with the textures.

Ummm... Damn! That pylon looks sexy. I think it fits almost perfectly with Hunter/'winder size... Perhaps I had to longthen it a little, but pretty well for a "blind" guess. :biggrin:

Jeremmy, your sign is almost killing me! For some reason if I left the browser window at that .gif, after a while CTD :sad:

Has anyone the same problem?