Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Keeping the pilot from disappearing when shot.........

This might be a little morbid but I want to know if there is a way to keep the pilot from disappearing when shot. I would like to use a damaged pilot bitmap (blood and oil) with head down when the pilot is killed. I've tried altering files but nothing seems to work.

1. Is it possible?

2. If so, I want to use a damaged model (new bitmap) of the pilot when the game sense a kill.

Instead of the pilot just diappearing maybe swap for new bit map with no head movement.

So I guess my question is, how do I create a damage model of a pilot that the game can recognize?

Sick I know,but would be cool :idea:

As far as I know its part of the code thats not accessible to modders. This subject has been brought to TK before and he didn't seem interested in changing it.

I guess it would be a little too violent :blush:

Thanks Tailspin

I would consider it a good addition. Wouldn't need to be too graphic, just a slumped over pilot. You never know about TK though. If enough people ask for it he may reconsider.

I would consider it a good addition. Wouldn't need to be too graphic, just a slumped over pilot. You never know about TK though. If enough people ask for it he may reconsider.

What about parachutes available in mid 1918?

Wouldn't need to be too graphic, just a slumped over pilot.

I'd settle for just non disappearing aircrew...Even if they remained bolt upright once killed.

I asked the same question last summer, over at the Third Wire FE forum, but got no reply from TK himself.

Here's the link:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5648

now I'm just guessing here but would it be posible to add a "dead" pilot that was slightly smaller to the plan via the "gunpod" method so that when the real pilot is killed and disapears the "dead" pilot model that was hidden inside the "real" pilot will be visable?

How about a wounded pilot? Not dead but damaged like a wing. Each component has a damaged counterpart. Why not a pilot? The dead pilot can disappear but a wounded pilot can be a bloody mess and still make it home. Can this be possible? When a wing is hit it gets bullet holes. When a pilot gets hit It can have some blood and oil stains and a bloody jacket. Or is the pilot completely unmanagable?

now I'm just guessing here but would it be posible to add a "dead" pilot that was slightly smaller to the plan via the "gunpod" method so that when the real pilot is killed and disapears the "dead" pilot model that was hidden inside the "real" pilot will be visable?

O yea dude good idea. It might be the only way even. The only potential problem with doing it: the "dead" pilot model shouldn't have parts that would pass the alive 3D model and be seeable BEFORE he is really dead.

But it's definitely the way to go imo, and is not even that complicated. Well thought. :ok:

Any option to fix this issue would be better than the famous 'empty cockpit'. When i first bought this sim and i had seen an MT enemy cockpit i would free-look around the sky figuring the pilot jumped ala RB3D. Its too bad that all this time since that great sim we dont even have these few things in such a great series (First Wire sims) like;

1.) Pilot wounded sound (maybe unrealistic but very immersive)

2.) Slumped over / dead / wounded pilot

3.) Pilot jumping from flaming plane (maybe its in there but i havent seen it?)

I love all the TK sims and just wish they had a few of these things

IL28

Geeshh, thanks alot guys! This never bothered me untill you brought it up. :smile:

A slumped over pilot would definitely add to the immersion factor.

Ok, I need to bring this up again. I've added a little effect to my Pfalz DIII "Holes" TGA file. Since a damaged pilot cant be created (as far as I know). I've added a little gore to my damaged plane. A little exagerated so you can see the before and after. It appears when the top fuselage is hit.

The second picture shows my pilot burning alive! So why would a damaged or dead pilot be too violent? I think burning alive is a little worse. Hmmmmm. If a "Holes" or "Damaged" TGA file could be made for the pilots that would activate when the pilot is hit, thatwould be awsome.

:tumbleweed:

Nobody likes blood and guts i guess :blush:

I know the pic is a bit messy. I did it that so everyone could see it. It could be done on all planes and gunner positions. I was just wondering if that same "Holes" targa file can be used over a pilot bitmap file when pilot is damaged (shot). A different targa file of course.

Well I hope somebody who knows about modding answers you, I think it's a great idea. :yes:

This bothers me too. I'm not into gore per se, but an empty pit is odd.

There is a way to do this but not as a pilot. The "pilot" would have to be created as a gun turret. You want to keep the ability to look around and a turret has this ability. Pilots don't take damage, they get destroyed and go *poof*. A turret can take damage and show a damage model.

Hope this helps.

I dont want to make a bloody mess of a dead pilot :no: . I would like to know how to create a damaged pilot. One that can still make it home w some battle scars and an oily dirty face. I understand that the pilot config files are locked so people cant do this type of thing. But it wouldnt be a gorey mess. Just a realistic wounded pilot. I've tried a few things but nothing seems to work. If TK would or could unlock the pilots data that would be great. Even a dead pilot with this "damage" with his head locked in the down position would be very cool. Like I posted before, If my pilot can go down in a burning heap alive, why not just make a dead pilot?

Maybe I'm just kicking at a dead horse hear :dntknw: .

Maybe I'm just kicking at a dead horse hear :dntknw: .

No, just preaching to the choir.

You know, there may be a way to do this, with new aircraft at least.

My thinking is this:

Have a mesh component (say a cube) hidden somewhere in the model - call it "deadpilot" and a damage mesh "D_deadpilot"

Link the mesh to fuselage as normal

Declare the mesh (deadpilot) as a fuselage component the same as a wing or stabilizer but with no lift components in the FM and give it the same hitbox as the pilot.

Hopefully the mesh would be destroyed at the same time as the pilot (setting an armor or damage rating may be the key here) and when the mesh and normal pilot get destroyed and disapear the D_deadpilot mesh would take its place.

I'll mess around with the Hannover tonight - the same method could work with the gunner.

ETA: Nope, couldn't get it to work

Edited by Laton