• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
Spectre_USA

Netbook versus Thirdwire's finest?

So, I'm in the IT area of a banking biz that didn't need a bailout, and I got a bonus!

I've been openly lusting those tiny little netbooks for some months now, and when the cash hit my paws, I pulled the trigger on an Acer Aspire One.

If you happen to be looking, I did some research, and found the 10.1" screened system to have about the best bang for the buck.

But I didn't get it for a gaming rig, I have one or 3 of those, but I figured that the tame specs on early Thirdwire things might make them a cool, on the road

diversion for my flights o' fancy. I even have a micro-controller that tests good on the big rig, and installs well on the little rascal.

But I took a patched to latest version, copied it over, and got a black screen, quick flash of blue across the top, then desktop.

Great.

Deleted that one, and took an original install out for a stroll. Wanted the CD, so I installed the 1st patch for WoE. Fired it up, no CD whinging, but the same as

the above. CTD.

OK, check for and re-install the latest DX9.0c, was already at 0409 standard, but what the hey? Same darned thing.

Even changed the options.ini to 1024 x 600, the systems only resolution, no joy.

It easily surpasses the min specs, but would seem to be a shared memory situation. 1 GB RAM, and 256 MB of shared memory via the Intel ugly video.

1.6 Ghz Intel Atom processor, and butt-loads of hard drive space.

Is there a crashlog stashed somewhere I could consult? Event viewer seems to ignore it.

Maybe I should revert to SF:P1 or WoV?

I gotta have me some air combat capability on this bugger, so point me in the right direction, gents...

I can't remember the exact specs of the first laptop I played SFP1 on, but it had shared video memory of about 8MB I think (laptop was bought end of '00), with everything turned right down I got about 5fps and it turns out the bombs are rectangles at the lowest detail setting!

Anyway if you get it working let us know how as I'm looking to buy myself one of the Asus T91s when they come out.

Try it again, but without a patch....there are no-cd exe files that allow you to run without the disk.

I've run all the titles on laptops before, all the Dell latitude series, as that is what I wrench on at work.

Heck, I've been using laptops for work, and been certified to work on them, for over a decade.

But this one is actually my own, and can have on it what I want without the random search by the firewall Nazi telling me

it's unauthorized software.

I think it is either the screen size stringency, or the shared memory, which the Dells have as well...

I suspect it's the shared memory issue.

I'm just up on this OLD laptop and SFP1 works fine (in 16 bit mode) even if it's a ATI 7500 with 32MB of memory.

FC

Acer = laptop of doom. We had a few of those lying around. They were so bad we used them for vehicle chocks.

So, you're picking one up yourself, eh Dave?

Sorry, they don't come in yellow, so you'll have to paint those chocks yourself...

Na-Na.gif

PS

Thanks for the links LB, I will take a wander by.

I'm gonna take for granted TK's toys are on it...

Edited by Spectre_USA

Acer = laptop of doom. We had a few of those lying around. They were so bad we used them for vehicle chocks.

Not new. Most-bashed laptop brand over here (the only reason people bought them is because they're supposedly cheap), and their customer service is epically stupid.

Edited by kct