Sign in to follow this  
wonderwarthog

Marvelous---and a few questions

I have been following OFF from the beginning. The current (disk) version is really wonderful, my compliments.

I have a couple questions: (1) How do I completely ditch the "HUD"? (2) I understand you can turn off the red damage reports. How do I do this? (3) I understand there are three manuals. Where can I find them? OFF isn't anywhere in my Vista Program Files. (4) I disengaged brakes from from the pedals in Options but I still see "brakes" most of the time when using my pedals in the air. (5) Can you reload the Lewis Gun?

Thank you.

Hello,

" ...I have a couple questions: (1) How do I completely ditch the "HUD"? (2) I understand you can turn off the red damage reports. How do I do this? (3) I understand there are three manuals. Where can I find them? OFF isn't anywhere in my Vista Program Files. (4) I disengaged brakes from from the pedals in Options but I still see "brakes" most of the time when using my pedals in the air. (5) Can you reload the Lewis Gun? ..."

Thank you.

1,2,3 start OFF, go to workshop, run CFS3config, then windows and custom settings - there you can en- or disable the HUD or Tac screen completely, along with red or blue warning messages, chat and all that along with some graphic things.

(edit: oops forgot 3 - Readme is in the OFF main directory, then there are a lot of infos at Polovskis FAQ page. As well look in the stickies for lists of what OFF does with which keys etc. Unfortunately no real big manual - maybe someone should write this sooner or later. Maybe this would even help selling it - there are hundreds of people who seem not to know how to setup their game or "micromanage" it - but the stickies are well worth a look.)

4 no idea - but when at the aerodrome, or in the air (be it single mission or campaign) press Escape, click "controls", and customize your pedals or whatever to your liking via changing the "Mine" control settings file. You can also change anything else here to your liking, command-key wise.

Just DO NOT use "Ctrl-Shift-E" or "Ctrl-Shift-R" for anything personal, otherwise the in-game acceleration (and deceleration) will not work, and you will not get it back until a complete new install of OFF.

5 This is operated via Ctrl-C (open or close canopy in the original CFS3) or so i think, but it is only an animation to pull it down - the Lewis gun will have as many shots as were there in all the magazines without you having to reolad it.

Good luck!

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Hey Warthog,

She's too much fun, isn't she?!

To turn off the warnings and the HUD, as Catfish said, you need to click on Graphics Config in Workshop (bottom toward the right...gray box). But the checkboxes are a little hidden. You need to click on custom settings, and accept the warning that changing things may cause problems (it won't), THEN look for the "Window" tab at the top above the graphics sliders, then from that drop-down list, click Overrides. You'll see a lot of radio boxes you can check to disable things.

Manuals can be accessed from the "Hangar" while in flight, or by looking in the manuals subfolder of the main OFF folder, which should be called "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields" unless you changed it at install.

I don't know how to get the "Brakes" warning to stop for sure, but I suspect it will when you disable warnings in the Overrides. Of course, there are no brakes, and if you don't tip the pedal forward, it shouldn't show that text (at least on my CH pedals). But in a dogfight, I tip the pedals constantly!

You can't reload the Lewis gun. It's fully loaded with all canisters to start with. You can activate a little animation of pulling the gun down for reload, but it doesn't reload it. It may be Ctrl-C as Catfish says. I don't remember. It's just for show.

WonderW- Read the STICKY Tips & Cheats..it a must for new flyers and answers most every question.

Many thanks all---all questions answered. My gosh, OFF is wunderbar!

Two final questions. (1) I am getting 0 force-feedback. I have all the FF boxes ticked. I am using a Microsoft Sidewinder FF stick which usually rips my right hand off. I am feeling nothing at all in OFF. I seem to recall the earlier versions of OFF had strong FF. (2) Where do I find the screenshots? I want to post some to convince the non-believers.

Edited by wonderwarthog

Wonderwarthog (like in Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?),

For the Force Feedback, I think UncleAl is the man to ask - perhaps in a PM?

The screenshots are on C: my files, there the OverFlandersFields folder. You make them with F12.

Wonderwarthog, welcome !

Make sure you enable FF from OFF Manager, workshop.

Other MS FF users may be able to help.

Ctrl and ; for screenshot (or change it, I use letter B).

they go to your documents folder, in "CFSWW1......... " folder

Many thanks all---all questions answered. My gosh, OFF is wunderbar!

Two final questions. (1) I am getting 0 force-feedback. I have all the FF boxes ticked. I am using a Microsoft Sidewinder FF stick which usually rips my right hand off. I am feeling nothing at all in OFF. I seem to recall the earlier versions of OFF had strong FF. (2) Where do I find the screenshots? I want to post some to convince the non-believers.

The FF in OFF is very weak. By comparison the other CFS3 mod, ETO, has much stronger FF. CFS3 itself is not particularly strong. Go figure.

Olham........can't believe there's anyone out there remembers the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.........lost the whole lot to a fire years ago but still smile to remember the margin cartoons of Fat Freddy's Cat....great stuff!!!

Yeah, I was suprised that our friendly german of all guys would mention the fabulous furry freak brothers Olham is obviously very well read, haha

GAW & RICKITY

The Freak Brothers are still printed here in Germany (at least some years ago), as Special Editions,

in Rotbuch Verlag.

I have just found "The Mexican Odyssee" again. And I have little books about only Fat Freddy's Cat.

All absolutely great stuff - can read it every year again.

I got my first Furry Freak Brothers over 20 years ago. True genius. :clapping:

Thanks all for the render aid. I found the screenshots. My FF was OK---I realized it was working when the bumpy ground on takeoff made it go berserk (I had been using airstarts to get right into the bashing). I see the SE has the adjustable tailplane---excellent. The Eindekker is superbly modeled. I noticed it was pretty useless against observation balloons---let me guess---no incendiary or explosive rounds during its period? I am 1000% satisfied by this latest incarnation of OFF. Way to go!

P.S. Is the Be2C completely unarmed? I noticed my Eindekker did not collect bullets when I passed abeam. Shooting down a target with the Eindekker is a real challenge. I have a LONG way to go to be a Immelmann.

P.P.S. Yes the Hog of Steel is my personal hero!

wart.jpg

My brilliant career:

Diving the S.E.5A at full speed---can't do this with many WWI aircraft:

Shot03-21-09-17-06-24.jpg

Impertinent S.P.A.D. XIII looping onto my Fokker D.VIIF's tail:

Shot03-21-09-19-06-00.jpg

My D.VIIF's engine on fire---heeded advice to turn off mixture, and I dived---flames went out:

Shot03-21-09-19-06-04.jpg

Shot03-21-09-19-06-57.jpg

Albatros D.II just blew a great deal of fabric off of my Nieuport 11:

Shot03-21-09-19-23-40.jpg