Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

SF2 Multiple Installs

Well, I've tried the trick... In your "Mods" folder (by default in My Docs\Strikefighters 2) you'll have an aircraft folder, with at the very least, a number of folders with the ini files for the stock aircraft. If you're anything like me, it's now full to the brim of just about every aeroplane that's ever been released, which can lead to some interesting fights. For example, in "Quick Combat", you end up with Syrian MiG-17s against South African Mirage F1CZs... Unlikely. Especially when the Syrians are supported by Nicaraguans in MiG-23s. You know the thing.

So... I renamed my "aircraft" folder to "xaircraft", and created a new "aircraft" folder. I copied only a few aircraft over, and went to see what would happen. It worked - the stock aircraft did not appear, and my choice was limited to those I had put into the new folder. Bingo!

So the next step. Is there anybody clever enough to put together a little batch file which will switch over the aircraft folders and then fire up the game? I imagine that if we say we'd all like the following scenarios - Cold War Europe, Modern Europe, Vietnam, Israel, Korea, WW2 for example - and agreed on the aircraft folder names, it wouldn't be too difficult, would it? And if you want to change the names, you can edit batch files by hand quite easily. I just don't know how to make one...

Anyone interested? Could be useful...

Only if you wanted it to control "Single Missions". The way It's set up, The "Campaigns" and "User Made Missions" already do that via .INI's.....Dates, Nations,Squadrons, where when how.....ect.

Only if You wanted to control "Single Missions" generated by the Game, would this be helpful......Even then, You can control what Nations Aircraft show up in a TerrainName_Nations.INI in the Terrain Folder.....

It's good thinking though......

Edited by 331Killerbee

Well, I enjoy the unpredictability of the computer-generated Single Missions - so it would be useful, as I equally don't want to fiddle about with the terrains and limit my options that way.

Actually, one of the things I enjoy most about CFS3 - my other sim - is that the "Spawns" function makes life utterly unpredictable, even in missions. You can find yourself face-to-face with just about anything! As in real life.

TK, if you're listening...!

So....let me get this straight.....

Multiple installs, with varyingly named main folders for core files (ie: WoE_PTO, WoE_MidEast, etc) are NOT possible???

Somehow, that dosen't seem right .... why couldn't there be a 'copy' folder of the main SF2, renamed and with a new shortcut to say, SF2_MidEast, and another folder in the /mydocs/etc/ect/etcSF2_MidEastMods and have a 2nd version??

I'm not understanding this...(i'm a bit slower than usual on weekends :wink: )

Wrench

kevin stein

Mr Jelly created something exactly like that for the old SF1: see the downloads section. No doubt will need much work to work with SF2.

So....let me get this straight.....

Multiple installs, with varyingly named main folders for core files (ie: WoE_PTO, WoE_MidEast, etc) are NOT possible???

Somehow, that dosen't seem right .... why couldn't there be a 'copy' folder of the main SF2, renamed and with a new shortcut to say, SF2_MidEast, and another folder in the /mydocs/etc/ect/etcSF2_MidEastMods and have a 2nd version??

I'm not understanding this...(i'm a bit slower than usual on weekends :wink: )

Wrench

kevin stein

Kevin,

My thoughts exactly when I saw this :blink: .........But People learn through Trial and Error. But, They might be able to put together a DOS Application that Installs different Files ala' EAW Terrain. But by the time the Application finishes doing this, I'd already be up and flying........ :wink:

331KB

why couldn't there be a 'copy' folder of the main SF2, renamed and with a new shortcut to say, SF2_MidEast, and another folder in the /mydocs/etc/ect/etcSF2_MidEastMods and have a 2nd version??

"Core" folder contains dll's and stock cats - nothing else.

All settings are stored in my documents. All mods also go there by default but that can be changed.

Simplest solution for switching:

Shortcut to SF2 options.ini on desktop

In ini itself make several Directory= lines for different mod packs. Comment out the unwanted (I think ; do comment stuff out in TK's inis) mod folders, leaving only the current one.

Gr.Viper,

I think You've figure it out. I'd say a little App. that changes different Options.INI's to ones taste.....

A quick little DOS App. that changes Uni-Coded Options.INI's....

Edited by 331Killerbee

It could read Sub-Folders that have just Options.ini's relvelent to a certian "Set-up" or Mod.

It might be a possibility.......Could work for "Stand-Alone" Installs such DS Mod, OTC.....ect.

I'll se what I can come up with to script such a thing.....It would sure beat putting in "Comments" by Hand.....

So You want multiple Installs of StrikeFighters2

OK, Pay attention.....

Look at the File Paths, It'll play an important Part.

This is XP, But plug in...UserName/Saved Games/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2...For Vista Users...And You'll get the point.

sf-1-1.jpg

sf-2-1.jpg

You'll want to call out File Path in the Options.INI like down below....

[Pilot]

LastName=Pilot

FirstName=Ace

Callsign=Phantom

Service=USAF

[Options]

Section=3

[GameplayOptions]

MissionStart=2

CockpitView=0

DisplayUnit=0

EnemySkill=1

Simulation=1

FlightModel=1

WeaponEffectiveness=1

Avionics=1

Targeting=1

HUDDisplay=1

Landing=1

Collision=1

Blackout=1

AmmoUsage=1

FuelUsage=1

[GraphicsOptions]

DisplayDeviceID=0

DisplayWidth=1024

DisplayHeight=768

DisplayDepth=32

AspectRatio=1.777778

AntiAliasing=0

LensFlare=0

DetailLevel=4

ObjectDetail=2

ObjectTexture=3

CockpitTexture=3

CockpitMirrors=1

CockpitReflection=0

EffectsDetail=2

TerrainDetail=2

TerrainTexture=2

HorizonDistance=2

GroundObjectDensity=3

WaterDetail=2

CloudsDetail=2

Shadow=3

UseAdvancedShaders=0

[soundOptions]

SoundVolume=100

SpeechVolume=100

MusicVolume=75

NumChannels=16

ReverseStereo=0

SpeechSubtitles=1

[ControlOptions]

ControlMap=Killerbee's.INI

Sensitivity=75

DeadZone=20

ForceFeedback=1

TrackIR=1

[MultiplayerOptions]

LobbyLaunched=FALSE

[MiscOptions]

HUDDisplay=1

ForceAIPilot=FALSE

DisplayUnit=0

[instantAction]

AircraftType=F-4E

MissionMap=DESERT

StartTime=16:30:00

StartDate=09/18/1968

StartTimeDeviation=120

TextureSet=0

NationalMarking=0

SquadronMarking=0

AircraftNumber=0

KillMarking=0

[singleMission]

AircraftType=F-4B_65

Service=USAF

MissionMap=CUBA

MissionType=STRIKE

MissionTime=NOON

MissionWeather=CLEAR

AirActivity=RANDOM

AirDefenseActivity=RANDOM

LoadMission=FALSE

LoadMissionFilename=C:\STrikeFighters2\A-4F_ALPHASTRIKE!.MSN

MissionYear=1968

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

[Campaign]

CampaignName=Jay Test

PlayerService=USMC

PlayerUnit=VMA-121 Green Knights

Difficulty=NORMAL

Length=NORMAL

AircraftSupply=NORMAL

WeaponSupply=NORMAL

LoadCampaign=FALSE

CampaignSavename=

[Multiplayer]

Connection=0

PlayerColor=0

SessionType=0

GameType=0

Password=MyPassword

MaxPlayers=8

IPAddress=127.0.0.1

[DogfightHost]

MissionMap=DESERT

MissionYear=1968

Loadout=0

StartTime=10:30:00

StartTimeDeviation=240

RespawnTime=60

RespawnDistance=4000.000000

MinHeight=5000.000000

MaxHeight=12000.000000

HeightDeviation=5000.000000

ContrailAlt=7000.000000

ScreenshotsDelay=60

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

WeatherType=SCATTERED

[DogfightPlayer]

AircraftType=F-4E

TextureSet=DefaultTextureSet

PlayerService=USAF

Squadron=DefaultTextureSet

[CoopMission]

MissionMap=DESERT

MissionYear=1968

ContrailAlt=7000.000000

Service1=USAF

Service2=SOVIET

Mission1=SWEEP

AircraftType1=F-4E

AircraftType2=F-4E

AircraftType3=MiG-21PFM

AircraftType4=MiG-21PFM

ScreenshotsDelay=60

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

WeatherType=SCATTERED

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< To turn it off write "FALSE".

Directory=C:\STrikeFighters2 <<<<<<<<<< Change it to the location of the "StrikeFighters2" Custom Folder or location

Of the Modded Folder.

[Version]

BuildDate=Feb 2009

Place it in a "Custom" Folder like down below to reflect the Mod......

sf-3-1.jpg

Semper Fi! :wink:

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

Cool part about this is that it helps retain Custom Mainscreens and such that are dedicated to a certian Mod like DS Mod or OTC and the likes.......

Another Thing.......Vista and XP come with a .INI Converter called....."NotePad". Open the old (ANSI or ASCII) .INI with NotePad and "Save As" and at the bottom, Under Encoding Type Dropdown, Click on UniCode and "Save as". It'll ask if You want to Overwrite or Replace, Click "Yes". Will help in speeding up Loads.....Also helps in converting old GunData's back and forth for the "Merge" Button on the Old Gun Editor. Till TK makes the new Gun Editor for SF2.

SF2 is done in Unicode, It'll read ANSI just fine......It'll read backward.

SF1/WOV/WOE/WOI/FE is done in ANSI (or ASCII) and can not read Unicode.

Edited by 331Killerbee

Which is pretty much what I meant to say. SF2 is hard coded to look for Options.ini in My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2, and making new copies of the core files won't go anywhere, because they'll all refer back to the single copy of Options.ini. So there needs to be a tool which can swop over the options.inis to point at different sets of mods folders - not my idea - or to swop over different aircraft-only folders, which was my initial idea.

The fact remains that as things stand, the only way to do this is by hand, either renaming folders or by editing the Options.ini file.

Which is pretty much what I meant to say. SF2 is hard coded to look for Options.ini in My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2, and making new copies of the core files won't go anywhere, because they'll all refer back to the single copy of Options.ini. So there needs to be a tool which can swop over the options.inis to point at different sets of mods folders - not my idea - or to swop over different aircraft-only folders, which was my initial idea.

The fact remains that as things stand, the only way to do this is by hand, either renaming folders or by editing the Options.ini file.

Or Copy and Paste and admit that You're Lazy........... :blink:

Or is that too much Buttons to punch or click?

Edited by 331Killerbee

And some People wonder why us "Veterans" of Strike Fighters Series never help out or give advice or make things out of responce to Comments or Ideas (Such as Tools and such...ect.). If one wonders, CHECK OUT THE LAST TWO POSTS............

And You'll get Your Answer.........Just a quality Example.......YOU"RE WELCOME! ndicki....

Edited by 331Killerbee

Well I'm sorry....

Maybe it's because that it's Sunday Morning, And My Weaties have been urinated in, I won't let this turn into a Urinary Olyimpics.....

I'm sorry if I offend anyone. But an old 58 year old Ex-Marine responds this way.......I applogize.

I'm done here.....

Edited by 331Killerbee

I'm sorry if I offend anyone. But an old 58 year old Ex-Marine responds this way.......I applogize.

There are no "ex-Marines" KillerBee, you should know this :biggrin: :biggrin:

331Killerbee, I fully understand what you mean to say. I can use notepad as well as the next guy, and do. The point is though, that it'd be nice to have a little prog to do it for you. Even hard-case US Marines must appreciate a little Gucci kit (as we say in the Brit Army) from time to time!