Sign in to follow this  
Olham

How small it is!

Enjoy this first flight of a Dr. 1 - and wonder, how small it is!

- and wonder, how small it is!

I find that this is something usually overlooked when talking about the Dr.I. It was the short fuselage, combined with the torque of the rotary engine, that allowed the Dr.I to perform a lightning-quick, flat, skidding turn to reverse direction. A great account of this is in the History Channel's "Dogfight" episde that recounts the Voss-McCudden fight. [season 2, "The First Dogfighters"]

Great Vid!.... I wonder how many people got hit in the head removing the Chocks during the 14-18 war?

(looks like a dangerous job to me)

Most WWI fighter planes were relatively small, but the DrI was one of the smallest.

Wingspan 23 ft 7 3/8 in (7.19 m)

Length 18 ft 11 1/8 in (5.77 m)

Height 9 ft 8 1/8 in (2.95 m)

CJ

Great vid, thanks for posting it! Some people are really dedicated to build something like that.

I wonder if there are any Great War era films about test flights and such like there are from WW2 period gathering dust in some obscure archive... Would be interesting to watch them! Maybe the big aviation companies like Fokker and others filmed such events, but have they been preserved to this day is another question.

Spot on Olham great video , i love the classic shot as he climbs from the fly past and it seems that there's no main struts... :clapping:

Thanks, Uncle

must be almost hard for the Spit pilot, to fly so slow, I guess.

Here, the Camel and the Dr.1 are seen together:

Nice video, thank you for posting. Probably the most beautiful plane ever created.

Vizz all respect, Ssir, but zere you must be mistaken!

Der most beautiful plane is off course my geliebter Albatros!