Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

1.3 AI=Aggressiveness Intensified 130%?!? IT ROCKS!

Since 1.3 I am finding the dogfighting to be a bit more intense. The AI seems to engage more aggressively at ALL altitudes and not be afraid to work together to go for the kill. It freakin ROCKS!!! Not sure if this is my imagination or not, but Veteran skill pilots in QC used to be something I could handle fairly well. Suddenly they seem quite capable and even eager to perform advanced manuevers in order to get me lined up in their sites. I've had my ass handed to me several times tonight in QC matchups that used to end in my favor more often than not. Whatever OBD did to fix the low level AI, maybe it bumped up the combat skill of everything. Whatever the reason, I LOVE IT!!!!

Has anyone else noticed the skies have gotten nastier? This is the best game I have ever purchased in my life, period.

Hellshade

Thanks, we're being transfered to France in a couple of days and you just sent my morale straight down the crapper. Is there nobody censoring your letters home?

Harder? You liked it harder?

Oh me oh mine! I find it difficult enough already, to survive more than seven sorties, man!

But well, to look at it realistic:

why shouldn't AI fly as clever and dangerous as we arm chair pilots do, eyh? (I hate reality!!!) (Lol!!!)

Bloody hell, he's not wrong! :swoon: Me vs two DVa, I'd barely got on the tail of one and the other was up my ass, firing all the way in until it rammed me! I was like a rabbit in the headlights, watching him and thinking "He'll break away now...no...now...no...surely now...WTF...MENTALIST!!!" :blink:

I guess the days of taking on six EA single-handedly and picking off each one as the others fly around aimlessly are over. NICE PATCH! :good:

That is something that always annoied me in the videos:

player pilot gently drifting around the scene, shooting an Albatros here, and another one there;

and in between the two, sipping from his thermosflask.

No Albatros veteran, and certainly no ace, would have flown on in gentle soft curves, playing

the perfect turkey for your pleasure. When a Nupe gets behind me, my manoeuvers will be

immediate and abrupt changes of direction; even if you could follow, you'd find it hard to hit me.

If they managed to change that, this patch must be a great improvement!

I haven't installed it yet, but will today, and I don't know if I will enjoy it, but it sounds like this

is getting closer and closer to the real desperate situations, even good pilots died in...

Edited by Olham

In my opinion, 1.3 has taken this flight sim to a new level. I would have to agree that the days of taking on 6 EA, picking them off one at a time, are over...and that is a great thing. The strategy now seems to be to shoot a few holes in one and then disengage to switch targets as quickly as possible and put a different one on the defensive for a bit unless you are absolutely certain that there is nobody else around backing him up. The challenge is, they seem to work in teams much more often now. It really does feel like two pilots are working together to take you down. Just like the way it must have been. My confidence in making the kills has gone through the floor. My excitement and determination to become a better pilot has never been higher or more rewarding. I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with the new AI. It's definately an eye opener.

BEST. PATCH. EVER.

Yep, the fighting is definitely very hard now (as if it wasn't earlier!). Best to apply for a desk job behind the lines if you want to make sure your favourite pilot(s) live through the war. Maybe work as the guy who gets to confirm all those claims... :biggrin:

I'm with Hellshade. It seems to me that dragging is a technique that the AI almost ALWAYS use now, instead of occasionally. I used to be able to take on two E/A after separating them from the larger group with no sweat. I was never sure what the other one was doing, but I would shoot at one, check six, if the other wasn't there, shoot some more at #1, check six.... When #1 was done, then #2 was usually cake.

Now, since 1.3, it seems to me that every group of E/A are fighting as pairs. Very difficult. That's how Stan bought it. A clever drag. Alb. #1 flew across my bow (as it were) and then dove and rolled and did everything to make it hard for me to shoot him. But I stuck on him, thinking none of the other E/A were going to follow us through that! No sooner did I have a bead on him and opened up, than THREE (count them, THREE) of his fellows who had apparently followed us precisely through all of that maneuvering, opened up on me. Sheeshhh!

Okay, so will OUR wingmen work with us this way?! I'm going to have to try not sending my #1 wingman to attack? Can you send the others off but keep your wingman with you? I've never used the help key. Perhaps it's time to start! I wish there was a key to get your wingman to drag an E/A into place for you!

I've been reading about my avatar a bit, and it seems he was one of the first to emphasize cooperative combat rather than lone wolf tactics. Sims are inevitably about lone wolf tactics, at least with AI wingmen. If I have to stick with lone wolf against cooperative tactics from enemy AI, I'm going to have to become a very good pilot indeed.

Edited by griphos

My experience, Griphos, seems to be, that you order "attack" first, but then press the "help" key.

It seems, that only wingman 1 follows that, unless the others are very close.

I want to add this, (patch download at 13% as I type), but I'm a tad confused. On the web page I see >>OFFICIAL PATCH 1.3<<, and then the "Optional" Hardcore Damage Model and Normal Damage Model. Does this mean that if I install the main patch and want to switch to the normal dm I can't go back to hard? And once the hard damage model is available again will I have to exit the game and run the appropriate patch to change from one to the other or will this be one of the settings in Workshop?

(I'll probably add it anyway. As may have been gleaned from my other posts, I play these games for the challenge. Joyriding and looking at pretty scenery is why I have FS9 installed.)

ALL Patches are Normal DM as they always include ALL previous changes/fixes. SO if you patch, and you want Hard you have to run Hard DM patch afterwards.

Currently it's not available until we fix that..

:ok:

The Pfalz bug...right.

What about switching? Ingame, or exit required?

You mean can you run a patch whilst in game? eeeerk. No. Always quit the sim totally, before running any patches of course!

They definately seem to be working in pairs with a lead and a wingman more often. Not always, but certainly more frequently. They also are not afraid to engage at low altitude or to dive from great heights to prey upon you if you are down among the tree tops. I think it's fantastic because it adds to the realism significantly. I didn't see anything in the 1.30 patch notes about it, so is this somehow an unexpected benefit from patching the low level AI? Any offical word from the brilliants Devs who brought us this fine flight sim and all of these excellent updates?

Hellshade