• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
wsmwsm

Nose dives

Just got BHAH. . . in less than a week. Breeze to install.

One question: Is there any way to prevent an aircraft from taking a nose dive when you start a flight at altitude? It's a bit disconcerting.

Just got BHAH. . . in less than a week. Breeze to install.

One question: Is there any way to prevent an aircraft from taking a nose dive when you start a flight at altitude? It's a bit disconcerting.

If you are getting this in QC, it's a new one to us. What altitude are you starting at? Perhaps there is not enough 'air' to support the plane. If you are getting this in Campaign when using Warp, we are aware of it. Just turn off elevator trim before you use warp.

Also, please remember to upgrade to the latest patched version of OFF 1.30, if you have not done so already.

Thanks,

OvS

Could it possibly be mixture control? If you are flying with complex fuel management, could you be starving out in an altitude start?

Beard

I've been getting the same thing in QC. Auto Mixture On @ 10,000 feet. Maybe one in fours times, QC begins with my plane in a steep dive or even upside down. Happened occasionally in the past, but seems worse with 1.30.

wsmwsm,

I had that too in QC - it was so, that the game did not recognise the throttle.

I had to move it full back, and forward again - and there the engine came!

Maybe the reason?

Depending on your joystick, each time CFS3 loads it may need the joystick centering, basically all controlls axis up/down/left/right etc, including throttle and rudder. My Saitek needs that, I just pause to do that.

I'm sorry to persist but this is clearly not a fuel mixture or a joystick issue. The aircraft start with their noses pointed toward the ground and with their engines running appropriately - no matter the altitude. Their flight path can be fixed immediately by pulling up the stick and the aircraft respond thereafter.

Although I am not 100 percent sure about this, when I installed BHAH for the first time yesterday, I ran a few quick missions before updating to the 1.30 patch. I don't remember having this problem before installing the patch, although I don't remember for certain whether I started a QC flight from a prescribed altitude. I believe I did, though.

The only other time I have seen this with any version of CFS3 involves the latest CFS3 ETO expansion. There are one or two recent aircraft additions (like the Do 217) which do this - a known issue.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Edited by wsmwsm

The only time anything like that has happened to me (when selecting 5000 feet altitude/Winter in QC) is being dropped slap bang in the middle of an angry storm cloud and being tossed about by the infamous turbulence. Always manage to get the kite under control but it can be a little disorienting for a while. A tot of rum afterwards is recommended.

wsmwsm

Can you provide what squad, date, craft, settings in QC, settings in Workshop?

I can't say I've gone through every aircraft, but many of them - Alllied, Central powers, bombers, fighters, various Albatrosses, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, Pfalz, Be 2, etc. All the same. Doesn't matter what altitude, location, weather conditions, time of day. Same thing each time and the same effect occurs after a warp. Drops like a brick until I pull back on the joystick, then corrects. Happens in free flight, dogfight, ground attack.

I have tried multiple combinations of aircraft characteristics but usually easy flight model, auto mixture (on or off), auto rudder (on or off), aircraft stress (on) - makes no difference.

The pilot is assigned to Jasta 1, Albatross DII fighter, Proville, January 1917. But, again, in QC I've used other aircraft, changed locations and seasons.

I've also noticed that when starting BHAH QC then ending flight, I first end up at the Overides screen, not the QC screen even though though I've set "Exist CFS3" to "off". Adds a lot of time to getting back to QC screen. After that, it goes back to the QC screen.

On the other hand, although the frame rate records a lower number than OFF Phase 2 and other CFS3 progeny, BHAH runs amazingly smoothly and the graphics, sound and performance are great. But I digress.

I just experimented. It's not the overall realism level. It's the flight model. Only "realistic" produces a normal flight path when starting at altitude while "easy" and "medium" create a nose dive. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Any way to correct this? My pilot won't live long enough, or fly well enough, at the "realistic" level to make things as enjoyable as they could be.

I just experimented. It's not the overall realism level. It's the flight model. Only "realistic" produces a normal flight path when starting at altitude while "easy" and "medium" create a nose dive. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Any way to correct this? My pilot won't live long enough, or fly well enough, at the "realistic" level to make things as enjoyable as they could be.

I do not believe this is an FM problem or we would all be experiencing these unwanted effects.

Just a thought ,and I may be way off beam here, have you checked to see how your aircraft control surfaces behave in outside view when you start your QC flight?

The reason I ask is that if, for instance, you fly with rudder pedals you can sometimes find that the axis controls are messed up and operation of rudder actually operates your ailerons and throws you around a bit.The solution ,if this is your problem ,would be to go to axis control settings in game and find your rudder axis control and delete everything you find in assignments apart from the rudder axis itself.

This is a long shot.

HTH

best

nio

I don't use rudder pedals. All control surfaces work. Again, the plane starts with a severe downward angle. Once the nose is pulled up, it flies normally. And, as I've discovered, this does not occur when set to realistic.

I've also noticed, as indicated above, that I am sometimes unable to get to the QC page (the page which displays the aircraft with the "Quick Combat Metal" containing the dropdown menu for aircraft, location, enemy, etc.) after ending a flight. Instead, I go directly to the "overides" page and need to start over again.

Erm..happens to me all the time too!...recoverable, but scary!

1.30 / Auotmixture on / No rudder pedals..... especially bad in multiplayer!!!....happens to all who join my game!...over to you guys!

Missed your prev post wsmwsm, yes it's the flight model when set to easy/medium.

We have only ever tested Realistic, and always said so. The options were only there as a legacy from CFS3 settings.

AI only has been tested with Realistic. Otherwise we'd still be making this if we had to tweak FMs in 3 modes lol.

We cannot fix MP UK W. It seems MP uses an easier mode for FM obviously, or the players connecting are on easy/medium.

Check your settings, and maybe check your connection speed, not sure it's dumbed down due to that. If not everyone sees it in MP then that sounds like the case.

We cannot fix MP UK W. It seems MP uses an easier mode for FM obviously, or the players connecting are on easy/medium.

Check your settings, and maybe check your connection speed, not sure it's dumbed down due to that. If not everyone sees it in MP then that sounds like the case.

Ah ok m8..It's no big deal anyhow..just wondered :good:

Oh well, nothing to do then.

It's time you dived into realistic FM then old thing :wink:

Have to agree catch - realistic FM is the answer. I can assure you it's not scary in any way.

Oh well, nothing to do then.

Nose Dives have been addressed in 1.30b - which will be out soon.

HTH

WM

Nose Dives have been addressed in 1.30b - which will be out soon.

HTH

WM

Well, that was quick service. Thanks.