Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

I´m in love with the Camel

What a wonderful fighter.It´s impressive that OBD team could reproduce the natural behaviour of the Camel( turn left nose up, turn down nose down)

It´s nimble, climbs very fast, turns in a dime, the two Vickers can do a beautiful work...

I´m flying DiD , 100% realism(using warping) an so far have 7 claims in three missions (still pending)

In the first days with OFF I try to fly the Camel , but I had a nasty stall when I was in the six of a Alb DIII, low over the frontlines.

I gave up with the Camel, but now seems we are understanding each other...

I need to care of this pilot , because until now I wasn´t able to confirm 5 kills in any of my campaigns... :blush:

Í declare myself a very happy masochist pilot of the OFF community.(we are all masochists flying this HARD sim and loving it don´t you know?) :rolleyes:

I´m not saying you are a sadist ,Pol :biggrin:

Edited by Luiz Carlos

Yes, The Camel is my favourite..... A real dogfighter, and a match for anything the enemy can put up.

No, not Pol - it's Winder! (Lol!)

On my Dsherman side of ze trenches, I just sit in der sun ant vait, until she killed you all.

British Wunderwaffe - enemy must do nothink - Mmmuahahahahaaaaa!!!!

I tried flying the Camel after the SE5a. Flies like a dream but I could not get use to that upper wing. Even with the “window” above the visibility is limited. 

The Camel is my favorite plane as well, always has been. And I love the BHaH offering. And just like the real thing, it does NOT respond well to ham-fisted pilots. Treat it gingerly and it will outfly anything you come across.

Cheers!

Lou

The Camel is my favorite plane as well, always has been. And I love the BHaH offering. And just like the real thing, it does NOT respond well to ham-fisted pilots. Treat it gingerly and it will outfly anything you come across.

Cheers!

Lou

In my first attempts with the Camel I actually broke the left wingtip into the ground in the take-off run just after have applied throttle.

(and there are people that say OFF doesn´t have torque modeled)

I learned then to apply right rudder, a little aileron to the right and accelerate slowly to avoid this happens again.

I think the Camel was so agile because it has some degree of instability,besides the very concentrated center of gravity.

The problem was that flight computers have not been invented yet and that instability caused a lot of fatal crashes too.

I think the Camel was so agile because it has some degree of instability...

Absolutely Luiz. The more unstable the plane is the better fighter it makes, (to a point). It is its very instability that allows it to be so nimble, when and if you sort it out before it kills you trying. The big, docile B/R planes were very stable and a good platform for recon work and bombing, but about worthless in a dogfight, which is why they needed gunners for protection.

Cheers!

Lou

Great glad you like it Lou. We worked a long time on the camel even from before Phase 1 of OFF, refined over the phases. Originally I worked with Hans "Stickshaker" who tested with great feedback to get the feel right. There is a lot of torque and gyroscopic effects added.

Recently we checked through and WM improved roll rates on many craft including the Camel, plus finally I had the CoG placed more accurately now it feels right with a strong tail heavy feel. If used correctly with concentration and care it is a fabulous aircraft, but yes deadly to the pilot too if you are careless.