Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Skinning... A Gentleman's Agreement

Hi All

Perhaps it may be an idea (in the hope of preventing future toe-treading) that we post information about historical aircraft we are skinning.

The reason I bring this up, is that Sandbagger is working on some British Aircraft, but we have no proper info about what he is working on.

This of course, is not a problem, unless someone else happens to be working on the same aircraft, and we have the situation that two versions get uploaded, and we end up with a further situation of people arguing the toss about which is more accurate/better than..... I am sure you see where I am going with this??

Perhaps, this will never be a problem, and everyone will be very happy (I for one don't care at all, if someone is doing the same aircraft as me, and happily accept it will almost certainly be a better rendition than mine.... But this may not be how everyone else feels)

Perhaps a little info about what you are working on, so other's are aware, will prevent a problem later on?

An ounce of prevention, is better than a pound of cure!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I dont foresee any problems coming about, since were all nice guys here anyway, but I agree. It's a good idea "just in case".

-Rooster

Good idea

I'm making a skin of the prototype sopwith triplane N500 Brown bread and also fokker Dr1 102/17 presented

to manfred von Richthofen and crashed by kurt wolff, and its not red :blink: .

I've also made a fictional camel skin called bulldog which I will upload soon.

Hope this is ok

regards Fubar

As for me I should not indicate anything more than I am just getting started. I am working on a French spad VII with my last dog as emblem. My eventual intent is do do the Spad XIII's of the 94th Aero squad from 1919. Sometimes referred to as the "showbird spads". I would welcome anybody else doing them as well since my abililities are entirely unknown at this time.

Hi all,

To give an idea of what I've been working on - 'Shredward' has passed me all of the aces we have for all of the SE5 squadrons currently in BHaH - that's a total of 350 skins.

I've just got the last 20 skins to do for No.60 RFC (1918) and they'll all be ready for future release.

As such there's too many to post information on, but I will post a few screen shots soon.

Basically, for the SE5 squads - if there was an ace listed, he'll have a skin for 1916, 17 and or 18.

I'll be starting the new Nuip 24 soon so I'll post a few early skin shots then.

Hi all,

To give an idea of what I've been working on - 'Shredward' has passed me all of the aces we have for all of the SE5 squadrons currently in BHaH - that's a total of 350 skins.

I've just got the last 20 skins to do for No.60 RFC (1918) and they'll all be ready for future release.

As such there's too many to post information on, but I will post a few screen shots soon.

Basically, for the SE5 squads - if there was an ace listed, he'll have a skin for 1916, 17 and or 18.

I'll be starting the new Nuip 24 soon so I'll post a few early skin shots then.

Looking forward to those m8!!! :good:

Cool man. Thanks for the teaser Sandbagger. I cant wait to get on thier six.

-Rooster

Some interesting schemes there! Were did you get info on them? I know the first three ones, but the other are unknown to me, and I pretty much have all the books on the SE5 except the Kagero Legends one. Could you tell me where you got them? Cheers!

Hi all,

'Shredward' is our research guru and has access to an extensive library and data base. We tend to feed off him when creating new skins and fill in with our own data.

Most are extrapolated from WW1 black and white photographs and textual data (books, datra files, reports etc).

Those above are taken from the skins of No.56, 60 and 74 Squadrons RFC. The checkerboard fin is No.74 RFC. The red, blue and yellow are No.60 RFC, circa 1916, before the Squadron were ordered to revert to 'standard' colour schemes and markings. The wavy line skin is that of Rhys Davids. The red nose and black/white stripped skins are based on reported but unconfirmed schemes used by the pilots. We tend to inject a bit of poetic liscence when necessary.

I can't recall the exact Squadron/Pilots allocation, but they include pilots Cochran-Patrick, Ball, Broadberry, Rhys Davids, Lewis, Caldwell, Menziers, Bishop. The yellow skin is the squadron stock (default) skin for No.60 RFC - 1916 period.

Excellent can't wait to fly these - I might just have to leave the green-tails!

Nice skins shown here.

I like the Sandbagger SE5 skins especially.

Can't wait to see the N.24 shots too.

Only saw these S.E.5s today, Sandbagger - the look really cool!

So the Brits had a little more colour than I always thought.

Can't wait to shoot one down - sorry, SB!

I didn't know there was a skinning forum until just now, and I apologize if I've inadvertantly stepped on somebody's toes with the few skins I've made so far. However, I have next to zero info about historical paintjobs and ain't really interested in doing them, anyway. I figure most of them have already been done, or are in work, or other folks have better info on them than I do. So I just make generic things or weird personal markings. <BR><BR>HOWEVER, if the urge ever hits me to do some historical thing, I'll be sure to give you all the head's up.

Edited by Bullethead

Generic and Weird eh?...You will fit in perfectly BH :drinks:

Generic and Weird eh?...You will fit in perfectly BH drinks.gif

Well, it's either 1 or the other. It's pretty hard to do both at once blink.gif . (<-- this smiley reminds me of Stan from "South Park" reacting to Cartman's latest wild hair up the arse).

I did some generic naval skins (as best I can research) because the naval squadrons in OFF didn't appear to have the right schemes. And I put 7 months worth of Bloody April Fee angst into my "Bad Attitide" Fee skin. I'm thus fresh outta ideas. However, I'm now beginning to grok a whole new flavor of angst, that of the 1918 Kaiserschlacht. Seriously, this puts Bloody April in the shade, and it's pretty much the same for both sides. So I figure I'll soon come up with inspiration for 1918 planes with bad attitudes, too grin.gif .

But that's for the future. In the meantime, as you suggested, let's drink! drinks.gif