Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

T-38 spanks F-22

Laughing about such a thing like 'Oooh, look at me, I kicked an F-22s butt in a training scenario', is like bragging about having phone sex. Sure you may have got a release out of it, but mostly, you sound like a dork. And painting a silhouette of a simulated kill on your aircraft (I'm looking at you Growler guys)? Now you look like that guy notching his bed post after phone sex...a pathetic, needy dork.

FC

That of course may be the case.. but then again look at the roles. The F-22 -->Fighter, Growler --> Dedicated EA aircraft. So given the Growler vs. Raptor argument, it's all about ROE. The only way a Growler could manage a Raptor kill is how the hop was setup, to get the training value, i.e. "Let's throw the best at it and see what happens". You can go into alot of semantics about AESA, this that.. but it can occur that maybe the Growler jammed the hell out of the Raptor thus allowing the kill. Then again they didn't go into configuration of the Growler, which could have been a "typical" configuration during a simulated mission, with the Raptor obviously Red Air. It's like that post on Alert5 about the VFA-11 getting a guns kill on a Raptor. Stuff happens and goes into inter-service rivalry when Air Force pilots strut into a Navy airfield and they can rightly say that it doesn't dominate everything. Just like how me an Army dude can out do some JTACs here on my FOB. Most of my controls are sitting on my butt in the TOC looking at computer screens. So it's like do I really need a JTAC? No, but the Army and Air Force doesn't agree, so I gotta say "roger". So when I outdo the JTACs I feel pretty proud, and to down the world's most advanced fighter.... I would gloat too. Not becauase of rivalry, but mainly accomplishment of a great challenge.

And I agree with Jug, it could have been pure dumb luck on the Growler pilot vs. the Raptor pilot, but shows that nothing's invincible.

And all this talk of going back retro.....? No I wouldn't want to go back to old tanks JW. Dude I'm not going to sacrifice shoot on the move, better survivability, reliability over a clunker of an M60A3 especially when it's got an outdated sensor (Night vision just an IR searchlight?) systems and just LOUD. Nope sorry. THat's like saying I want the FISTV back over a BFIST. Just not a good idea.

And all this talk of going back retro.....? No I wouldn't want to go back to old tanks JW. Dude I'm not going to sacrifice shoot on the move, better survivability, reliability over a clunker of an M60A3 especially when it's got an outdated sensor (Night vision just an IR searchlight?) systems and just LOUD. Nope sorry. THat's like saying I want the FISTV back over a BFIST. Just not a good idea.

Well I was just joking, but the TTS (Tank Thermal Sight in) the M60A3 is a better thermal than the TIS (Thermal Imaging Sight) in the M1, M1IP, M1A1 (all A1 Variants) and M1A2. The M1A2SEP, has nextgen FLIR (same level of stuff the is on the ITAS TOW system and Stryker ATGM) optics that are better than the TTS and TIS.

TTS is the sight used to record tank and Brad gunnery on all US Army ranges. It takes less time to cool down, uses less power (longer time without running engine to charge your batteries on a screen line or in the defense) is not green (or red like in the Brad) so the person can actually stand looking into it for longer periods of time with out getting "green eye."

Obviously the TIS is a good optic, better than anything anyone else had at the time, but the TTS ws still better, it is certainly more than an "IR Searchlight" I don'ty think the M60A3 ever had searchlights. The M60A3 could also shoot on the move, and was more reliable to be FMC due to maintenece. Obviously the Abrams ib better than the last Patton series tank, but there were some areas it excelled in over the M1. It doesn't matter anyways considering my post was toung in cheek.

Oh and the M-60A3 is a better tank in the defense than the M1, as that is what it was built and designed for. The M1 was designed to be an offenisve tank.

Nah still not sold :good::smile:

Well, I'm offended by the M1, so I guess it succeeded!

Robert McNamara didn't like the idea of the T-38, he wanted a 6 place training aircraft...where 5 students would learn to fly by watching the instructor pilot. Did this man make ANY right decisions while in office?

yes he did, the "mc namara" line was a good idea, even if it wasn't it's own idea. :biggrin: