Sign in to follow this  
Caesar

Anyone here been to Vandenberg AFB?

'Evening all,

As I'm getting closer to commissioning and EAD date, I've been doing research on my assigned base and was able to get a fair amount of information on it (Vandenberg AFB) and some of the surrounding area, but as I'm trying to get as much info as I can, I figured I'd ask here: has anyone been assigned to Vandenberg AFB? If so, were you on base or off (I've gotta live off, not being married)? I heard most of the newer LTs are in the Santa Maria area about half an hour away, but areas like "Lompoc" (sp?) are closer and cheaper. Any places I ought to avoid? Anything you could tell me would be great.

haven't been there myself, but have had some dealings with support of the base and use of the systems and data.

Are you going into space ops?

13S1X, or space/missile trainee. I've been thinking of missiles first, maybe transitioning to space ops later on.

I watched a missile launch once. It was pretty epic. Haven't been on base though.

awesome.

best of luck.

I've been in the space and missile field when on joint assignments and continue to work with some of that stuff.

Cool beans, and thanks. I've heard sitting alert is the "fastest way to get a Masters or PHD in the military" so we'll see how that goes :blink: .

Edited by Caesar

I've flown into Vandenburg several times, however, the big thing from what I understand is that's it's a bit isolated relatively speaking.

FC

I was born there and have been back several times Lompoc is isolated but santa barbra county has some great scenery and beaches. some places are pricer than others so do your home work there were some major fires there last year

Edited by Viper6

I was stationed there from 1993 to 1994. Incredible area. Just beautiful. Lompoc has a federal prison there. We also called Lompoc, Lompton because of the wanna be gansters there. Also during the spring there are giant fields of flowers are far as the eye can see. So if you have allergies. You will just love the spring. What else do you want to know?

Well, I suppose any "need to know" stuff you've encountered; I fear I've been a bit vague, though.

The info I have so far is:

Lompoc, Santa Maria, Vandenberg Village and Montiavo are the more common places; Lompoc and the Village are closer and less expensive, but less people live there, while Santa Maria and Montiavo are more expensive, but with more people there; my BAH should make either of the later affordable, though, albeit maybe not ideal. I have a car, so that's not going to damage my pay, which will help. Also did some background on the units at the base and will be going over available map info shortly.

Things I'd be interested in knowing:

Are there any drawbacks to any of the areas you've lived in? Crime rate, fires (as Viper pointed out), hippies that'd put flowers in my Mossberg? I already know I have to keep my AR-15 locked up in NY with my family until I get my actual base assignment because it's not CA legal. Is there anything you think especially pertinent, or that you wish you knew before you got there? (though from what you describe, it sounds beautiful.)

Thanks for your replies!

Well as far as I knew the crime rate wasn't bad. I never had any issues at all. Leave your AR-15 in NY, don't even bring it even when you get on base. The CA liberals love to prosecute military over there.

From Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo, the area is incredible. So much to do and so much to see. The community around Lompoc really supports the military, but when you get away from Vandyland, people are not so much friendly when they find out you are military.

I would stay away from LA if you can, the place needs to be nuked and rebuilt. However San Fransico is a beautiful city with lots to do and EAT, OMG EAT. If you love seafood man you are going to be good to go there. They don't really care for the military either but I didn't have any problems with anyone.

In Lompoc, there is a Mexican restaurant called El Toro Bronco, or as we called it, El Bloat McFat, that have the best burritos I have ever had to this day. They are huge and they load them up. Can't be beat.

I had a good time at Vandy. Working Vehcles and Equioment, MMT and test launch gave me lots of opportunities to support NASA missions and like. I got to assist in the Taurus, Pegasus projects. Got to do shuttle support missions. A great time for sure.

All right, well thanks for the info, Dave! I'm looking forward to it. :good:

I like Lampoc alot.

Many great mexican resteraunts. Never had a bad meal or service at any one.

Last time I was there the Wallmart had a really bitchin' salt water fishing departement.

Santa Maria is grand.

Don't forget to check out Nipomo. Orcutt, Guadelupe, Oceano, or AG.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima