Sign in to follow this  
josefII

Something About Shrikes and ARM's

Hi guys! :salute:

I'm at a loss as to what to do with the Shrike and ARM AGM's :sorry: . I'm trying to use them on A-4's and F-4's for WoI. Everytime I try to fire them at something (like SAM's or Radars), they just shoot of my pylons like aimless rockets :blink: . Any suggestions as to how to deploy them?

Okay what I find best is to point you Jet at the offending Radar using your RWR... be about 8 miles out and then pull the nose up slightly and then shoot the missile off... it will then track the radar but be aware if there are other radar's about then it might go after one of those... I get a rough 80% chance of a kill even with early model Shrike A's I find that if I am inside 3 miles though the missile will not track correctly...

Hope this helps...

Do not post in the Knowledge Base for to 10 millionth time.

To learn how far are the targets, look at the SAM launchers around the radar. Estimated range may be obtained by lookking at the map and see

where may they be in the direction of RWR signal (cities, airfields, known lines of air defence such as the channel...)

Btw, did you notice that when using ECM being not tracked they find you?

If what you mean is to engage, not to avoid SAM, use ECM, set them on some away from the area for 10-15 seconds. The noise will call their attention, as they track you (signal in the second circle of RWR), deactivate them and let them illuminate you for a shot (when the signal is in the inner circle of RWR) loose the ARM and break diving into the SAM site. The signal of a radar illuminating a target is the best for ARMs to find and destroy

Edited by macelena

Shrikes work fine but are a bit short-range. Still the best thing to use 'cause they are light. Fire them in the direction of the radar.

Beware of stock ARMs - they follow lofted trajectory and very often lose target/fail to lock and simply fly over the battlefield. Leave them at home. AI radar crew don't switch off their dishes so ARM missiles have no special use so far. And they're heavy.

True... but they're always nice to have in a pinch. However, in most cases I just use Mavs instead as my SAM/AAA killers. I maneuver too much and down low too much to depend on ARMs... but again, that's all terrain and mission dependent.

I've yet to fly in WOI so i'm not familiar with any particular things specific to it as far as ARMs.

The Shike has a range of about 15 miles depending on your altitude. Like was mentioned above, when SAM goes active line up with the site, go about 15 degress nose up and fire. Unless there is another radar near the target, it should be right on target. If lower and closer you can just put your pipper on the launch site and let loose.

2 variations on a tactic for WOV/WOE... The first is loading up on ARMs and sending your wingman after the target. Stay up and behind him and engage the sights as they become active. This can also be done via EricJs suggestion using Mavericks

The second is sending the wingman in while remaining really high and behind at reduced throttle while studying the RHAW screen (if you have one) and radio traffic to determine the threats and when to engage. Using Standard ARMs you can engage at incredibly long ranges. In action i've hit from about 25 miles ,while in tests on the range 70 miles was acheived (IRL range was about 75 miles)