Sign in to follow this  
bobd

Having Sound Problems

I had no problem with the demo, but the full game has a terrible sound distortion. I saw some reference to sound fix in the coming patch. I hope it helps my situation. I have SB 5.1, anyone else getting this?

I had no problem with the demo, but the full game has a terrible sound distortion.  I saw some reference to sound fix in the coming patch.  I hope it helps my situation.  I have SB 5.1, anyone else getting this?

Did you try disabling your sound card's hardware acceleration? You can access the controls through the RUN command, then typing dxdiag B)

I have the EXACT same problem, it was fine for about a week, and then what you describe has happend! , are you sure its wise to disable your hardware acceleration, wont it mess your system up, if anyones had this problem and this has fixed it, please say.

Thanks

EDIT: i also have the exact same sound set up

thanks again

Edited by Hawk

After hearing about people talk about improved framrates after turning hardware acceleration off i gave it a go. The biggest difference i noticed was reduced quality so i turned it back on. (Since i'm not a programmer it still puzzles me why turning something called "acceleration" off would improve performance but i know it isn't allways logical)

There has been some a lot has been a lot of talk about how much playing back several soundfiles at the same time affected FPS in lomac and some people took it very seriously and did all sorts of tests on it. Apparently the devs noticed and the following quote is from wags latest patch pre-release notes:

Corrected sound and input program header files. This has increased the efficiency of sound files.

... he only talks about efficiency so its hard to say wether it will sort out the distortion you guys are talking about.

Ghostdog, I'm with ya man, I thought something called an accelerator would make it easier on the fps, not harder! But in reading a bit, I believe by moving it to the max, you are saying, "give me all you got", whether I can handle it or not!

But it gives me around 7-8 fps by disabling it. No noticible difference in quality, but I have old ears! :D (this is on a SB Audigy 2 ZS, btw)

Edited by Vegas

Hopefully it will be fixed in the patch. I realize it's a software problem--but I want to comment on the hardware.

I have an Audigy Platinum--and I'll never buy another creative product again. Poor driver support--and it hogs the PCI bus bigtime--not to mention the snap, crackle and pop noises I get in every sim I own. It says it records @ 96kz but it really doesn't--it goes through a analog step before it upsamples to 96.

Just my two cents--next time, I'm going for a terratec card.

many has reported that the high-end SB cards are heavy on the cpu. I have 2 cards. One onboard on my Asus p4p800 deluxe mobo which i use for games and an Audiophile M-Audio multichannel card for soundrecording.

I tried turning off sound acceleration & it fixed it. If I lose a little sound it's a good trade off for FPS.

I also had a snap crackle pop. I found a forum that addressed this problem and this edit fixed a lot of it. If your interested it's in the registry and located at:

>HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE/ SYSTEM/ CurrentControlSet/ Control/ Creative Tech/ Emu10kx/DriverSettings/ Wave/ Pin#00000002

>The pin# might vary but what your looking for is a DWORD Value called "Turbo". Change this to zero and reboot.

As always changing the registry is at your own risk. I have winxp, don't know about other OS.

BBQ, I'm with you on being anti-Creative, but I tried to switch to Hercules Fortissimo and found I had mic problems. The sound was great, but since I use gamecommander, I needed something that would pick up the mic correctly. While Creative certainly doesn't do all they should, they seem to be the most accepted by the game developers. :(

As i said before, i had this problem, but i found a fix: Make sure you have the latest sound card drivers!!! , i found that turning down harware acceleration really screwed everything up, (especially with 5.1) but i downloaded the new drivers and hey, it worked!