Sign in to follow this  
Canvas Wings

How are medals awarded in the game?

Just wondering; having received medals for the first time (two DFCs awarded on the same day?) -how are medals earned? Is it by kills, logged hours, successful missions or some combination thereof? Maybe it depends on which medal?

I got the impression, that kills are rewarded by medals.

For us Germans, 5 kills seem to mean 1 Iron Cross; 4 Iron Crosses mean 1 Pour-le-merite (I think?)

The successful doing of your duty would rather be rewarded by promotion to a higher rank.

That's my impression so far.

Just wondering; having received medals for the first time (two DFCs awarded on the same day?) -how are medals earned? Is it by kills, logged hours, successful missions or some combination thereof? Maybe it depends on which medal?

5 Kills = DFC or Iron Cross or French equivalent. 25 Kills (I think) = VC or (Blue Max?). Beyond that I don't think anyone other than the devs know. The medal system is undergoing an overhaul so it may be that it's not yet working as desired. That's speculation on my part though.

Well, the American medals are pretty screwed up.

The Medal of Honor (NOT Congressional Medal of Honor as the game calls it) is the lower award.

I dunno what the highest award (30 kills) is. Haven't got that many in a Yank plane (yet).

Would be kinda nice if that is corrected.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

The Medal of Honor (NOT Congressional Medal of Honor as the game calls it) is the lower award.

I dunno what the highest award (30 kills) is. Haven't got that many in a Yank plane (yet).

ttt

I haven't gotten more than 5 confirmed kills before getting killed, myself. Would be kinda nice if that is corrected, too. :blink:

This is first time anybody was So Concerned Over The Medals, so research is being done . . . . Go Figure

Not concerned at all, Unc; merely curious. The gongs don't matter. Survival is everything.

I still think we should get something for wounds and combat-related injuries :blink:

Oh, we have here: plasters, bandages, braces, iodine, morphine and amputation saws.

Soldier?...

I haven't gotten more than 5 confirmed kills before getting killed, myself. Would be kinda nice if that is corrected, too. :blink:

It's in keeping with the finest traditions of the United States Marine Corps, Jarhead.

The ENTIRE First (and only) Marine Corps Aviation Force combined shot down only four German planes in all of World War I.

http://www.acepilots.com/usmc/hist2.html

And the USMC's MOH pilot (who shot down only two German planes, go figure) was really a Navy officer (there actually was one US Navy ace who flew with the RFC).

So, maybe you aren't supposed to get five. :blink:

Tony

Edited by tttiger

ttt

Me neither-- the Spad 13 is strangely unstable in my experience and actually seems more difficult to fly than the Camel in the game for some reason. Though there is a US Camel squad or two around.

Edited by SirMike1983

Me neither-- the Spad 13 is strangely unstable in my experience and actually seems more difficult to fly than the Camel in the game for some reason. Though there is a US Camel squad or two around.

Uggh! I refer to the SPAD XIII as the "I've Stallen and I Can't Get Up!" plane!

RR

As far as I know the Developers of OFF, are from Canada, the UK, and South Africa

The only Americans are skinners

It shows me, that medals didn't have a very high priority at all, either in development or testing for all possabilities

And I happen to agree, partialy because I get killed before I earn many medals at all. But this is primerily a flight sim, and at that it excells

I'll just have to cheat more . . :biggrin:

Al,

I've also noticed that very few American aces have the biographical backgrounds in the "Ace Dossiers" section that the British and German and French aces do.

Considering all the British and German and French biographies were taken directly from "the Aerodrome" web site (with permission I'm sure) the US bios could have been used in OFF as well. The bios of all the Yank aces certainly are all there on the Aerodrome.

From a marketing standpoint that seems to be a glaring oversight. Eddie Rickenbacker, Frank Luke, Elliott White Springs and all but a very few others simply state "Data Not Found" in the Aces Dossiers.

My interest is primarily RFC/RNAS/RAF (I can't fly the Spad effectively, either) but I usually fly the careers of the real American pilots who historically flew in those British services. Happily, most of the US aces pictures are there (I put the correct one in the dossiers) but not their bios.

It's not a huge deal but considering how accurate historical units and aerodromes and front lines and even weather are portrayed, it does seem odd to pay such short shrift to the Yanks.

Okay, I'm gonna go fly Eliiott White Springs' Camel for awhile, whoever he was....

Tony

Edited by tttiger

.... In what is primerally a flight sim :yes:

Heh, not any more UncleAl. The devs have done such a brilliant job of creating a totally immersive WWI experience that medals, promotions and squadmates matter - more than I've felt in any sim since Their Finest Hour - not least because it's so difficult to survive long enough to get or keep them.

Uggh! I refer to the SPAD XIII as the "I've Stallen and I Can't Get Up!" plane!

RR

That's EXACTLY what it feels like: the accelerated stall behavior is unlike the other planes I've flown in the game. It faces D.VIIs and has little chance against them, except to run away. It even struggles against Alb D.Va aircraft. Maybe I'll have a crack at the flight model behavior some time.

Edited by SirMike1983

That's EXACTLY what it feels like: the accelerated stall behavior is unlike the other planes I've flown in the game. It faces D.VIIs and has little chance against them, except to run away. It even struggles against Alb D.Va aircraft. Maybe I'll have a crack at the flight model behavior some time.

The other odd part is that with my brief experience with the SPAD VII, the eirlier plane seems to fly better than the latter, without so much stallin'

RR

Just dont make tight/quick turns to the right in the Spad. Can turn fine and fast going to the left however due to engine torque effects I would presume.

Edited by Test Pilot

Just dont make tight/quick turns to the right in the Spad. Can turn fine and fast going to the left however due to engine torque effects I would presume.

The Spad XIII has an interesting quirk. You can stand on the rudder and yaw up to about 45^ off your course without affecting your vector that much. This is quite useful at times, mostly for balloon strafing, but occasionally in dogfights.

OTOH, I find that any use of aileron below about 75 knots results in an accelerated stall. This includes landing approaches, so come in low, hot, and straight, lined up well in advance to pass between the trees on the threshold. Try to be about 80knots and 2 feet off the ground, level, then chop throttle and let the pig settle in. You might bounce a bit, but no harm done.

In dogfights, try to stay above 100 knots or you'll run into real problems. I find the Spad XIII's works best if kept between 150-200 knots when making passes and 100 coming over the top. Don't be afraid to get over 250 and push 300 if need be. Needless to say, to be effective in the Spad XIII, you have to be quite a good shot, because you're going so much faster than the enemy that usually your firing opportunities are going to be very fleeting.

Edited by Bullethead

The other odd part is that with my brief experience with the SPAD VII, the eirlier plane seems to fly better than the latter, without so much stallin'

RR

Originally it was the opposite: the change to the top wing shape on the 13 was actually meant to speed roll and reduce accelerated stalls, in the original 7 design. A number of pilots complained the 7 had a slow roll rate and poor turn characteristics. The 13 actually was a big improvement in that regard with its frame shape change.

Edited by SirMike1983

Mike, why don't you and Rick and BH start your own thread about Spads and please stop hijacking this one, which is about medals?

I would be glad to comment but this isn't the place for it.

Tony

Edited by tttiger

Fair enough, the Spad topic has run its course for the time anyway.

Mike, why don't you and Rick and BH start your own thread about Spads and please stop hijacking this one, which is about medals?

I would be glad to comment but this isn't the place for it.

Tony