Sign in to follow this  
Ivankuturkokoff

Mirage V Sea Harrier

Ohh

well then ARGENTINA OWN THE HARRIER :P

:D

AceMan, this is highly controversial, but Argentina claimed a Sea Harrier, downed by the Mirage 'Dagger' of Capt. Donadille (the Sea Harrier flew for more 30km, pouring smoke after a supposed 30mm DEFA hit), then the pilot ejected and was rescued in the sea by a Sea King chopper), if you can read spanish (which I'm sure you can, AceMan :D ) there are pages describing the combat here, here and here.

Well I do have an aircraft magazine collection which some of you from the Jet Thunder development team already know that is a Brazilian edition called "Aviões de Guerra" ("Warplanes" in english) that have many articles that cover the entire Falkland Air War and there is no mention to that hypothetical Harrier being shoot down by a Dagger!

Else you can check this site also which regads to British aircraft losses:

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falkland...craftlosses.htm

There is no mencion to that Harrier either!

The only aircraft that the Argentinians shoot down in Air-to-Air combat was a Scout Helicopter.

I saw once in TV documentary about the Falklands, that mencined that the closest that an Argentinian pilot was from shooting down an Harrier was when the Argentinian pilot (forgot his name) was piloting an A-4 (and not a Dagger) when he managed to get behind an Harrier but when he had the Harrier in his cannon sights, his A-4 cannons jammed and then after that a second Sea Harrier placed itself behind the A-4 and shooted it down (I don't recall if it was with cannon or Sidewinder but I think it was with a Sidewinder)! The Argentinian pilot managed to eject and survive and it was him in that TV documentary that told this war story!

Well I do have an aircraft magazine collection which some of you from the Jet Thunder development team already know that is a Brazilian edition called "Aviões de Guerra" ("Warplanes" in english) that have many articles that cover the entire Falkland Air War and there is no mention to that hypothetical Harrier being shoot down by a Dagger!

Great! So do you know this collection too! What's the original Publisher of the english editions? I'm trying to get hold of an English version, you know, the portuguese translation may have some inaccuracies. Indeed, there is no mention of the Sea Harrier hit by the Dagger. But there is mention of the Scout helicopter downed by the Pucará.

I have a local magazine called "Revista Força Aérea" with a full and comprehensive article about Mirage/Dagger in the war, it describes the combat clearly, although it doesn't claim that a Sea Harrier was shootdown - but it describes how the Sea Harrier was in the sights of the Dagger and two DEFA cannon bursts issued against him. This attacking Dagger was hit from behind by a AIM-9L in the meanwhile, the pilot (Donadille) ejected and he's the one telling the story. I think many here experienced this in online flights: being 100% focused in your target, and forgetting the target's wingman, who is approaching from behind with a nasty surprise. B)

...when he managed to get behind an Harrier but when he had the Harrier in his cannon sights, his A-4 cannons jammed

heh, lucky Harrier driver. A Sea King helicopter and a Lynx also were attacked by cannon fire from argie jets, but managed to avoid and survive.

Edited by Dante-JT

Great!  So do you know this collection too! What's the original Publisher of the english editions? I'm trying to get hold of an English version, you know, the portuguese translation may have some inaccuracies. Indeed, there is no mention of the Sea Harrier hit by the Dagger. But there is mention of the Scout helicopter downed by the Pucará.

Well, first of all I'm Portuguese and that magazine collection that I have is the Brazilian Edition! :)

I didn't know that an English version of that magazine collection even existed!

A REVISTA FORÇA AEREA É A MELHOR DAS MELHRES

THE MAGAZINE "FORCE AEREA" IS THE BEST OF THE BEST !

In number 24 have great plublisher of Malvinas....

The Title is "Com Bravura e um Pouco Mais"

(ALGUM BRASILEIRO TRADUZ ESSE TRecho)

É SOBRE OS A4 na GUERRA DAS MALVINAS ..... tem um relato completo ! com otimas fotos

Muitas fotos dos navios Ingles no momento do ataque !

Fotos dos A4 em combate ! e claro ! A ultima foto de muitos Argentinos , pilotos de A4 ! mortos em combates !

-------------

The Title is "Com Bravura e um Pouco Mais"

(ALGUM BRASILEIRO TRADUZ ESSE TRecho)

That would be "With bravery and a little more"

He he! No te preocupes de tales cositas. Es igual. Paz, paz y bien. :D

A REVISTA FORÇA AEREA É A MELHOR DAS MELHRES

THE MAGAZINE "FORCE AEREA" IS THE BEST OF THE BEST !

In  number 24 have great plublisher of Malvinas....

portugal_c.gif

In Portuguese:

A revista Aviões de Guerra também é excelente, uma das melhores edições de revistas sobre aviação militar! Sobre a guerra das Malvinas ou Falklands (afinal de contas as ilhas são Britanicas :) ) tem situações descritas com excelente detalhe como por exemplo o ataque e posterior afundamento da fragata Ardent, ou o ataque ao Sheffield e o outro navio de carga (esqueci-me o nome) com misseis Exocet e todas as outras situações da guerra (creio eu!)! Diferentes relatos sobre a guerra das Falklands/Malvinas vêm em muitos numeros desta colecção!

canada_2b.gif

In English:

The "Aviões de Guerra" (or "Warplanes" in english) is also excelent. It's one of the best magazines about Military aviation that I ever read! It includes several war stories about the Malvinas or Falkland war that are described with an excelent detail such as the Attack and sinking of the Ardent frigate and other situations like the attack on the Sheffield destroyer and a Transport ship (that I forgot its name) with exocet missiles! It also covers almost every situations and stories of that war! The war is covered in several articles that come in several edited issues of that magazine collection!

The "Aviões de Guerra" (or "Warplanes" in english) is also excelent. It's one of the best magazines about Military aviation that I ever read! It includes several war stories about the Malvinas or Falkland war that are described with an excelent detail such as the Attack and sinking of the Ardent frigate and other situations like the attack on the Sheffield destroyer and a Transport ship (that I forgot its name) with exocet missiles! It also covers almost every situations and stories of that war! The war is covered in several articles that come in several edited issues of that magazine collection!

Indeed! I said that supposed it had a english original because I see the credits "Aerospace Publishing" and "Pilot Press" in the backcover, but now after you said, I think these credits mean the source of the color profiles and cut-away drawings displayed - but the content actually is Editora Nova Cultural, Ltda., São Paulo, Brasil, 1985. It's a bit of a rarity - I have almost the entire collection. I owned 6 volumes bound in hard cover - it has an history behind :) I bought and collected it through the 80's when it was released in Brasil. I was a kid and it was a big inspiration for my current aviation addiction. In the mid-90's, I borrowed 3 of the hardcover bound volumes to a friend, he managed to lost 'em.. grrr :( big mistake. With 3 volumes left (2, 4 and 5 - each 15 fascicles joined forms a hardcover volume), I did a sort of "quest" to find someone selling the missing volumes or fascicles. Didn't found anything. The few I found who own this collection, seems to not been interested in selling it.

Then a long time friend, who has about the same age as me and also collected these fascicles as a kid, agreed in donating his entire collection to me for the sake of the JT project! :) Lucky, now I got all the Falklands/Malvinas material acessible. Not yet bound on hardcover but the 'quest' for the missing fascicles have a happy ending. :D

Well people!

I go to finish teaching to say portuguese.... or some similar thing...

ehheehehehhee

:D