Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Supersonic B-2

Don't think it'll be able to catch up with the F/A-37's though... :grin:

The B-2 is NOT breaking the sound barrier.

Some of the airflow on the B-2 is near sonic speed, which is causing the effect you see.

But the bomber is not supersonic.

FC

Yeah I know technically the B-2 aint Supersonic but hey its a great shaped airplane... for a heavy... not as good looking as a Vulcan but thats my humble opinion...

Amazing how inaccurate some people can be about basic things.

Nothing wrong with the article, it's the tagline that is inaccurate, it's a shame because most people who don't know much about this sort of thing will likely remember that alone. Sometimes it's not the journalists that are lazy but the editors.. they care more about selling paper than promoting fact, truth or even opinion.. they would claim their own grandmother smokes crack from a conch shell if only it sells a paper. News values my ass.

anything going supersonic tends to loose its stealth properties against certain radar frequencies. Would not be the preferred tactic.........

I'm not an aerodynamic expert but heard that same what FastCargo said: this effect is near the sound speed. And I think too, that this picture is very old.

Now something fun -I don't remember where I red that but it was the article where was wrote that B-2 and F-117 can flight with Ma 2 speed !!! How? BECAUSE THEY HAVE SUPER SECREET ANTIGRAVITATION ENGINES :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: no comment...

THE GREYS !! THERE ARE EVERYWHERE !! :minigun:

Edited by CIACHO

Yeah, definately looks like some sub-editor talking s**t, the article itself describes the effect "appears when there is a sudden drop in air pressure around aircraft travelling just above or below the speed of sound", and the sub-editor has obviously chosen above, presumably as it is way sexier.

Exactly