Sign in to follow this  
Velvet

American SPADs

Velvet those are good pics and eduard makes good models. Here are some skins I would like to see for OFF BH&H http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/septem...a/showbirds.htm I may have to do them myself, haha. The Reed Chambers plane and the Rickenbacker were issued in 1/48 plastic by Dragon with photo-etch oh maybe 12-15 years ago. The Dragon kits are very nice and have a lot of detail but have been out of production for years already so it is nice that Eduard is releasing thier kits. Never too many kits is there?

The "Showbirds" are so bizarre, one would feel compelled to shoot them down at once.

Well, the showbirds are historical. They were painted that way after the war and were part of the 94th AeroSquadron that was stationed inside Germany in the spring of 1919. The pilots had a free hand at painting them. I can imagine that maybe some potshots were taken at them from the ground. When the 94th left Germany these planes ended up in Poland in Polish service. I would really like to learn more about this aspect of the 94th. I often wonder..what became of Rickenbacker's Spad. It's a Yank concern of course as he was the inspiration of many a flier in WWII and even now for me.

Here's some decals from a company called SPADA. Excellent decals for all common scales, these are just 2 of the 4 sets they have available for the SPAD XIII. They also have markings for the Albatros DIII's Ni-11/17's and a few others. Here is the direct link to SPADA decals http://www.spada-decals.com/cariboost1/crbst_2.html

Edited by godzilla1985

Hey thanks Godzirra for the decal link. I need some 1/28 Spad decals. I read Biddle's book and may have to get a set for his plane.

Well, the showbirds are historical.

Verification.

post-17487-1243274449_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks Godzirra for the decal link. I need some 1/28 Spad decals. I read Biddle's book and may have to get a set for his plane.

Glad I could help :good:

Oops. You meant those SPADs, of american property, not design. CharlieLima is getting a heart strike, he´s too old

Edited by macelena

Never too many kits is there?

I agree, my wife on the other hand.....

Here are a few other photos from some old books of mine.

Great Pics Cody! I LOVE to see photos of these old birds. Thank You for posting these.

Hey, Rickity - great to see those designs again!

And all these other lovely designs - my "skinner's heart" desires to do a SPAD some day.

Here's the SPAD XIII from the Smithsonian Institute.

Thanks Olham, I would love to see the collection. I wonder how much of this SXIII is original.

Well, if I was in your shoes, Rickity, I would definitely visit the Smithsonian.

Your way would be a lot shorter and less expensive than mine.

Might be pretty original, cool story here if true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Raymond_Brooks look in the After WWI section.

Wow! that's some story. I felt bad that I didn't know more but here the Smithsonian didn't know much either. I'm glad they were reunited briefly. Almost a twilight zone moment.

I sat in the cockpit of a Stearman once, inside the Mall of America of all places.

Edited by Rickitycrate