Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

F-35 too loud

i'd vote for IL-76's being noisiest esp. on landing. things louder than the local vipers, mirages, and occasional C-5.

Il-76 engines are similar to those on 727 and DC-8 eg old design turbojets. Turbofans are far less noisy, and that's what every modern design, fighter, bomber, transport, or civilian, now uses.

In a turbofan, there is a large fan (or fans) in front of the engine core that pushes a large amount of air around the core and out the back without combustion taking place in it.

In a turbojet, a large speaker disguised as a jet creates megadecibels of sound to push the plane away from the ground.

Ya know, I only live about 2 to 3 miles away from my base and I don't even hear the F-16s take off and land. It really is stupid for retirees and other folks to move in and live that freaken close to a base if the sound of aircraft engines is a problem for them for the only sole purpose is to be that close to a BX, commisary, or medical. That's just plain selfishness there and apparently they never took home whatever they learned in their experience in the military. Most of these retirees also only served 5 to 6 years - pretty much their first and only contract of service. I can't tell you how many times up at the gate I've seen retiree ID cards and 9 out of 10 times it says E-4 or E-5. Those who have served more than that are usually the ones who understand the military and don't gripe or complain about anything when it comes to operations at the base. They've really been there and appreciate what goes on. Now for the morons that listen to hip hop music as loud as possible and complain about the noise level from the fighter jets, well that's what OSI is for.

Dont the arty boys have a saying that goes"I dont care what you play, as long as you plpay it LOUD".

I must say it IS funny when a retired LtCol calls in a noise complaint though!