Sign in to follow this  
Test Pilot

Love the new DVIII

Though some aspects of the model and flight model seem a bit off flying her. After all I dont think the real one was quite as unstable as this version :biggrin:

post-47147-1243996599_thumb.jpg

I hope WF2 sees this. It's the 1st spotting of a D.VIII in OFF :biggrin:

Edited by Bullethead

I've sometimes seen three-winged versions of that fighter. Was it a special model perhaps? :biggrin:

Field modificashionz arr vell allowed, Herr Leutnant, but "mid air modificashionss" ?!?!?!

Next time you ask your Mechaniker! We need EVERY pilot - even foolz like you!!!

Though some aspects of the model and flight model seem a bit off flying her. After all I dont think the real one was quite as unstable as this version :biggrin:

Lecturer: And students of WW1 aviation will soon become aware that many of the early DVIIIs were, in fact, do-it-yourself affairs, as pilots grew tired of the obstruction posed by the lower wing. In the illustrated example above you will notice the prominent trailing wing strut, provided for mechanics to aid in guiding the machine on the ground... as had been the case in the early Fokker Triplanes.

I think the DVIII turned out the nicer looking aircraft with the rotary. It just has more character.

Speedski

That's what I asked myself, when I saw Test Pilot's picture: why did Fokker not build a D VIII

with an inline engine. Now you present that pic of a test version like that.

Do you know, why he then took the rotary instead, WomenFly2?"

That's what I asked myself, when I saw Test Pilot's picture: why did Fokker not build a D VIII

with an inline engine. Now you present that pic of a test version like that.

Do you know, why he then took the rotary instead, WomenFly2?"

Fokker owned the factory that made rotary engines. In-line engines where allotted to Albotros and others and the D.vII production. Adding to this, Fokker was not beloved by many hence he was not in favor of the upper political hierarchy which controlled the decision making for material allotment too. The rotary was loosing choice as a power plant, it had reached it limits in power development. Fokker wanting to make his plant profitable, still designed with rotary engines in mined.

Looking at the D.vIII design, it is the simplicity of a combat killer machine. Minimum materials, light weight, good visibility, fast for a rotary engine plane, very hard to see head on, and easy to fly.

The V.28 had a Goebel Goe.IIIa 145hp rotary engine.

Fokker%20V28.jpg

The V.37 was an armored version of the V.29 had a Benz Bz.IIIB 195hp in-line engine.

Fokker%20V37%20tn289.jpg

Cheers,

WF2

How does one go about getting a D.VIII? And may we call on Womenfly2 for a 'feet-on-the-pedals' evaluation vis-a-vis the real thing?

The simplicity of the design is one of the outstanding features for me, must have been very quick to build, one wing, simple tubing pop an engine on the front, relatively easy to maintain. Did you get to fly one WF2?

The simplicity of the design is one of the outstanding features for me, must have been very quick to build, one wing, simple tubing pop an engine on the front, relatively easy to maintain. Did you get to fly one WF2?

Yes I did, with a rotory.

Cheers,

WF2

Anyone, who DOESN'T envy this lady?

Great stuff, if I get a beta one some time may ask you to try it ?

Cheers

Pol

Pol, I've flown a Taube :wink:

Actually, I can't wait to just get my feet wet in a Cessna.

-Rooster

As she is a lady, it was polite to ask her, Pol, but the answer can only be YES; YES; YES!!!

I assume she is still sleeping right now or at work - otherwise it would be here already.

Great stuff, if I get a beta one some time may ask you to try it ?

Cheers

Pol

Be honored to.

Cheers,

WF2

P.S. Olham, I am at work. .. wink.

Edited by Womenfly2