Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Bump Maps and skinning...

When I look at skins, much of the underlying aircraft framework seems to be illustrated as part of the skin. Is it possible to use Bump Maps? G-Max supports Bump Maps, but I don't see any provision for them.

Are you talking about bitmaps? (.bmp)

Nope, he means bumpmaps. In 3D modelling, bumpmaps are greyscale images used to determine depth, where black is the lowest and white the highest of a given depth-height range. It'd be used in a 3D game for things like panel lines, wiring, surface mouldings, ribbing etc. Without bump mapping height and depth can be conveyed by shading and drawing shadows but these won't shift dynamically as lighting changes... bumpmas will.

Quickly knocked-up example below, a crude model of a section of wing. The first image is the model without a bumpmap, the second blurry image is the bumpmap and the third is the same model with the bumpmap applied.

Edited by Dej

Just goes to show how much I know about the subject.

Quickly knocked-up example below...

Can I take this as a 'yes' for Bump Maps in G-Max? I hope.

No but you can use _S.dds for specular (black and white texure) to achieve lighter/darker areas to get similar effects with models in CFS3 not quite as "bumpy" but it's possible to create lines and shade.

Some craft have these assigned some don't.

Can I take this as a 'yes' for Bump Maps in G-Max? I hope.

Eek! Don't take anything I say as a 'yes' for anything. I was just offering an example.

Eek! Don't take anything I say as a 'yes' for anything. I was just offering an example.

We tried working with the specular layer and found it made the planes look as if they were made of plastic. We didn't like it.

OvS

OK..."_S.dds" it shall be. Thanks all.

OK..."_S.dds" it shall be. Thanks all.

I really like what you can do with the specular s.dds lighting files added to a plane skin. I used them on my Nieuport 17 skins I did for OFF and they add a lot to the looks. Just be sure to add them with a plane skin with no decals, or the decals will show up as ghosts on some plane skins; also don't over do it, or like OVS said, it can look strange. The Camel and Se5a also use the speculars.

Bump maps are a great tool for upgrading skins, but not in all games. They work well in some platforms but not others. I do work for an historical HL2 mod, and we just did a series of bump maps for weapons. They kick the weapons up a notch, but have to be done carefully. However in other games, I've seen bump maps make a mess.