Gustav

First Eagles ScreenshotsThread

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

Are you planning to give the observer a very low rate of fire gun?

LOL, I haven't thought about it yet.  Stephen1918 developed some innovative refinements with his rifle and grenade files, but I have not had time to experiment with them.  At the moment, I am using a Hotchkiss as default but there is no reason why some other form of armament can't be used instead.  I have some WW1 small arms somewhere on a backup disc, similar to the 1938 small arms shown below.

shot-2.jpg

Figures-1.jpg

• Like 7

I have not decided yet If this plane will be ultra fun or ultra frustrating to fly! What it will be for sure is really interesting.

• Like 1

still WIP..

Carst region

large.img00002.jpg.54cf84d0fba41fdfab05b270f59e4c33.jpg

North of Gorizia (Bainsiza plateau)

large.img00003.jpg.c08f3e5b9f9fd3b4dec637549f359cac.jpg

Isonzo valley

large.img00004.jpg.e80de1fc06277b3bef52506e7a1b410d.jpglarge.img00005.jpg.0fc4d8807b9640ceac87fa2b64ec73fa.jpglarge.img00006.jpg.8fe7f87914e9c8ab1e85d1559f2e26b3.jpg

Caporetto with mount Matajour in the background (where E. Rommel captured the whole mountain during the Caporetto battle)

large.img00007.jpg.780a8dfd509a5b4c85a44fde837cffd7.jpg

Edited by gterl
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stratos said:

I have not decided yet If this plane will be ultra fun or ultra frustrating to fly! What it will be for sure is really interesting.

I’ll do some research into its FM, been wanting to do a Bleriot XI FM for a long time. Should float nicely like a leaf with slight lack of power, and should naturally want to go nose up because of the noticeable wing angle of incidence that works as an air brake too.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 1

I've looked over Stephen1918's armed observer files - clever idea! :biggrin:

Rather than modify the pilot, it looks like the ideal solution is to build the observer/gun combination into the 3D model?  Perhaps two versions?  One with a Hotchkiss MG and one with a Berthier rifle?  Has anyone gotten ini files, simulating a rifle, to work ingame?

shot-3.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve managed to modify early Parasol, Farman, and Fokker data inis to shoot rifle shots, inspired by Whiteknight’s tweaks. This works well with Stephen’s armed observers, but for actual simulation of a rifle...that’s beyond my scope (sorry for the pun :biggrin:). Stephen’s Taube has a rifle-armed observer that moves and fires his rifle, might be something to check into.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.

Testing the N28 cockpit, and accidentally got some Pfalz D3a takeoff shots.

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00010.JPG

img00009.JPG

img00011.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

Looks like he's flying again...Asiago Plateau and upper Piave valley

large.img00001.jpg.20f958067e527cfc13794b6f3b905294.jpglarge.img00002.jpg.0082c20cb3c64214da8f3dd91c4de5f3.jpglarge.img00003.jpg.94c36e5abe6d463e56af5c28155c38ed.jpglarge.img00004.jpg.4593b75c38bd998905d780e5c023872c.jpg

brumowski-1.jpg?w=450&h=450&crop=1

• Like 6

George, I continue to marvel at the wonderful maps you produce - especially since you are color blind!  Amazing...

Yes colors are a struggle, but by comparing one with another I slowly get to it

• Like 2

Sorry I know it's a 'test', but by looking at the picture it seems a 9-cylinder engine.

AFAIK it was fitted either with 3-cyl Anzani (Y-configuration) or a 7-cyl Gnome (military use, with a 7-cyl Gnome Omega with 80HP).

Overall Bleriot's where fitted for the most part with either REP (Robert Esnault Pelterie), Anzani (either W or Y configurations) or 7-cyl radial Gnome engines

REP's where replaced quickly by Anzani engines

- W configuration = all three cylinders pointing upwards

- Y configuration = two up one down (120degrees apart)

I really do apologize if I seem picky, but just noticed this little detail

Keep up your excellent work!

3 hours ago, gterl said:

Sorry I know it's a 'test', but by looking at the picture it seems a 9-cylinder engine.

Yep, its a Nieuport 28 engine I dropped in for a quick test - to get a feel for constructing the nose.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a new batch of WW1 pilots.

shot-1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm very excited about the Bleriot XI - been reading up on some of the powerplants used and top speeds...should be very entertaining to fly. Top speed for the 3-cyl. Anzani powered type is about 76 kph, with a ceiling of only about 900 meters.

The 7-cylinder (70-80 hp) rotary types typical for 1914/early 1915 have a top speed of about 105-6 kph and a theoretical ceiling of about 2000 meters - slightly higher than the Morane Saulnier Types G and H. I don't have stats. on whether these were only 80hp Gnome (Lambda) powerplants or some of the earlier Le Rhone variants too of about 80 hp...power output would have been similar, and top speeds on both engines.

There is a Gnome (Delta) engine by 1914 of 100 hp (9 cylinder) but I doubt this was ever used on the Bleriot XI types (one or two seater).

Couldn't find any stats. for the earlier 7-cylinder rotary powered variant (Gnome "Omega"...about 50-60 hp) that was probably a one-seater type and typical from about 1911 to 1913. From some general calculations, I'm estimating that the Omega variant had a top speed of around 85-90 kph, and a ceiling between 1000 and 1500 meters. Some types also had higher hp Anzani engines installed, in the pre-1914 period, but most switched to rotaries by 1913/4. The rarest powerplant is an "engined up" version of the top-facing, three-cylinder Anzani (w configuration), giving about 40-50 hp, compared with the standard 25-30 hp variant. Only a few had this variant installed...probably no later than 1912 or 1913. The 40+ hp Anzani should give similar top speed and ceiling to the Gnome Omega variants.

Also exciting is that the stall speed in level flight is about 60 to 67/8 kph on most of the Bleriot XI variants...this leaves maybe less than 10 kph between top speed and stall on some of the engine and air frame combinations used. :biggrin:

Here's links to a 1910 Anzani (w configuration) of about 30 hp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hj1O0nJgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjRjHgAMPU

This may be the 40+ hp variant, with the exhausts at the top of the cylinders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMAKVrNfMI

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added some info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heh, I love the research you have done on this.  Gotta great story about Anzani radials. 

Back in the 1970s/80s, the Santa Paula, CA airport was a haven for old civilian aircraft, much like Chino was a haven for old military aircraft.  One sunny afternoon there, I had a conversation with an old geezer who owned a 1920's single-seater that was a rough equivalent to the Piper Cub.  I don't remember the type, but I do remember it's Anzani three cylinder radial.  The owner had welded retaining braces to the cylinder heads because they had a habit of blowing off the engine!  He said he had been forced down three different times because of the Anzani blowing cylinder heads!

• Like 2

Apparently some of the Morane-Saulnier type G variants also had Anzanis installed (trainer variants bought as early as 1912 by the French, also some in possession by the Germans, and the Dux factory in Moscow obtained a license to manufacture them, by 1914). Have been busy tweaking FMs for these early, underpowered variants, and will include them with a ver. 9.1 FM update pack - they work well for early war scenarios and/or flight training :biggrin:.

Most were removed from service by the second half of 1915, although, oddly, the Russians continued using them as trainers well into the 1920s. Some of the earliest types used in the war, by 1914, included the M-S type G. Slightly longer wingspan on them than the type H (especially for two-seater variants) - not so much for single-seater variants. Typical powerplants included the 60hp Gnome Omega, also the 6-cylinder Anzani (about 50-60hp). Also in use was the 45hp Anzani (possibly 3-cylinder) and the 25hp variant - sometimes designated as subtypes 16 and 17 by the French (and used as trainers).

Detailed stats. on the types are lacking but, comparing with Bleriot XI variants, and the M-S type H, I think the tweaks should work well. Great fun trying to keep these in the air.

Happy flying and happy new year!,

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00007.JPG

• Like 3

Really looking forward to gterl's improved Italian map - I like mountains!  Meanwhile, over his existing Alps...

img00009.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00010.JPG

img00012.JPG

img00013.JPG

img00015.JPG

img00025.JPG

img00017.JPG

img00023.JPG

img00022.JPG

img00019.JPG

img00021.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5

More shots from the epic battle over the Alps.  A couple of buddies said they look like something Howard Hughes might have filmed when making Hell's Angels.  :biggrin:

A key component of the immersion is gterl's excellent Italian map, with some tweaks by Quack74 and VonS.

img00014.JPG

img00016.JPG

img00027 (2).JPG

img00029.JPG

img00040.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5

VonS has cranked out a large number of new aircraft folders containing all the essential files for Nieuport 17 and 23 aircraft - including separate Lewis gun versions for the RFC.  Now, its my turn to crank out a bunch of N17/23 files, with and without Lewis guns.  Because of the weight and drag penalty, very few Nieuports mounted both Vickers and Lewis guns.

img00006.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00015.JPG

img00016.JPG

img00017.JPG

img00018.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 3

No idea of why, but my install does not have gun flahses or tracers, is that historical? Or is that I'm missing effects?

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

No idea of why, but my install does not have gun flahses or tracers, is that historical? Or is that I'm missing effects?

Check of couple of aircraft data inis.  They should have something like this:

[InternalGun1]
SystemType=FIXED_GUN
GunTypeName=7.92MM_SPANDAU_LMG08/15
InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN
GunGroup=1
MuzzlePosition=-0.1260,0.405,0.62
LightPosition=-0.1260,0.405,0.62
AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxAmmo=500
EjectShells=FALSE
EjectPosition=
EjectVelocity=
GunFireAnimationID=7
Synchronized=TRUE

If they do, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Do you have a GUNS sub-folder in your OBJECTS folder?

• Like 1

Also check the following link where I suggest a reverse install of many Laton effects...should bring back any effects that you have missing:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/88700-fe2-bad-framerates/?tab=comments#comment-716531

Have PM-ed you a zipped version of my Effects folder to try out, and an alternate "short muzzle" flash variant (also for the Effects folder).

Gun flashes are historical, but probably not as big as the "Hollywood" ones I like to use :biggrin:. Tracers are historical from about late 1916 / early 1917....every third or fifth bullet would often be a tracer round, to help with aiming...by that point in the war incendiary rounds show up as typical too....good for balloons and Zepps, igniting the hydrogen once it starts mixing with the oxygen coming in through punctures in the fabric made from a volley of regular bullets.....if I understand my chemistry correctly, tracer rounds and incendiary rounds were pretty much the same thing when first used in WW1...perhaps separated and refined more thoroughly as distinct ammo after the war....tracers do have a light/temporary incendiary quality anyway.

P.S. Pic below from the Wikipedia with relevant info. on incendiary rounds.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 4.00.49 PM.png