Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

RAF Cosford Airshow

Anyone going? I'm undecided, have to decide if it's worth sleeping rough at the train station tonight for a 5 hour airshow or just get there by public transport tomorrow and catch a couple hours at the end. :blink:

I'll be there as usual & so will the Vulcan, all being well.

Where would the Vulcan be, say around the 20th of August? I may know a certain boom operator (with a camera) that would be interested in seeing her on his way home.

Here's this years plan so far, yesterday was the first flight of the year, today she was at Brize Norton where she's apparently going to be based from now on......

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/anmviewer.asp?a=424

I'll surely go to Volkel (big show anyway) and it's probably very going to be a very special thing at Sanicole in september:

small grass airfield in the moors of the Belgian Kempen region where I've seen amazing things with aircraft coming very close and passing very low.....

It's great that the Vulcan is making overseas trips and showing up in our country and Belgium !!

Hou doe,

Derk :good:

I can remember it was about 3 weeks til the end of our time at our school and we where having one last big match before the end of the year because we had exams the following two weeks. After about 5 mins of playing everyone on the field looked up in amazement because the Vulcan was flying over. It was one of the sights ill never forget. The noise it made, and how slow it was, was just amazing. The shape as well, just brilliant. Im glad to see it back. How come its going to Brize Norton and not to Waddington? Wasnt that where it was based once the re-work had been done?

Not too sure why its going to be based at Brize as Waddington was "talked about" a lot last year.

Cosford airshow was a huge success this year, they closed the base at 13.30 as it was stuffed to the brim with 58,000 people & 18,000 cars, there were 4 miles of tailbacks on the M54 of folks still trying to get in & all the backlanes around the base were absolutely gridlocked.

Personally, I decided to spend more time actually watching the acts this year..........thats why I only took 500+ photos. :blink:

Here's a couple of samples.....

post-841-1245096100_thumb.jpg

post-841-1245096138_thumb.jpg

Ant.Then you must post 250 times+ in this tread because we want to see them all :shout::clapping::ok: :dirol: :biggrin::good:

I'm now contractually required to mention that you'll be able to see the Vulcan at RNAS Yeoviltons's air day on the 11th of July, along with a load of other stuff that I'm at least partially responsible for organising. She arrives on the 7th for the press preview if you're in the area!

Not too sure why its going to be based at Brize as Waddington was "talked about" a lot last year.

Cosford airshow was a huge success this year, they closed the base at 13.30 as it was stuffed to the brim with 58,000 people & 18,000 cars, there were 4 miles of tailbacks on the M54 of folks still trying to get in & all the backlanes around the base were absolutely gridlocked.

Personally, I decided to spend more time actually watching the acts this year..........thats why I only took 500+ photos. :blink:

Here's a couple of samples.....

Ermmm me feels me made a huge mistake.. I had the impression that the airshow would last 5 hours total, starting at 0830, therefore closing at 1330... but you say they closed the gates at 1330 and I feel that you mean the actual airshow start time did not correspond with the opening of the gates.. therefore possibly the train that would have got me there for near enough 11 might just have been adequate to catch the majority of the show. Oh well. Spilt milk :blink:

I shall certainly be booking tickets for one of the other shows this year!!!

Unfortunately won't be able to make Yeovilton either as I'll be going South from up North just a few days later, and can't skip the North part!.

Ermmm me feels me made a huge mistake.. I had the impression that the airshow would last 5 hours total, starting at 0830, therefore closing at 1330... but you say they closed the gates at 1330 and I feel that you mean the actual airshow start time did not correspond with the opening of the gates.. therefore possibly the train that would have got me there for near enough 11 might just have been adequate to catch the majority of the show. Oh well. Spilt milk :blink:

I shall certainly be booking tickets for one of the other shows this year!!!

Unfortunately won't be able to make Yeovilton either as I'll be going South from up North just a few days later, and can't skip the North part!.

Gates opened at 7.30, flying started at 12.00 m8 [always does], poeple were still queing to get in at 13.30 but the base was full.

Oh no :blink: Gutted. Hope you had fun day though! Maybe we could have a CA contingent get together for next year. Cosford has always been on my list of must sees as I lived in Wolves for nigh 6 years and can you believe I never made the time to go!? They say it has a certain charm lacking even in the larger displays such as Biggin Hill or Farnborough.

"Cosford airshow was a huge success this year, they closed the base at 13.30 as it was stuffed to the brim with 58,000 people & 18,000 cars, there were 4 miles of tailbacks on the M54 of folks still trying to get in & all the backlanes around the base were absolutely gridlocked ".

Looking at the pics it must have been great. :yes: But the field stuffed with 58.000 spectators...

Been at the Ramstein Flugtag (before the disaster) with 750.000 people according to the organisers, and at Klu 75 in 1988 at Deelen Airbase there were 400.000 people ...... Wonder about the numbers in the USA ,Canada and other countries..

Hou doe,

Derk :wink:

Edited by Derk

Last great airshow i went to was Waddington international air show. Great day, lots of aircraft from all over the world on static display and also in flying displays. If you get the chance go, but be warned, only one main way to Waddington, and there are tailbacks as far as the eye can see. If you decide to go, send me a PM and ill give you a route that brings you out about 5 mins from the base, it will cut out about half an hour of traffic.

If I remember correctly then last time I was at the Open House RDAF Skrydstrup some 125.000 people showed up. To bad they cancled this year due to limited resourches regarding comitments in Afghanistan. It seems something allways is comming up when it's going to be in Skrydstrup. RDAF usually rotate the Open House betwen FSN.Skrydstrup FNS.Karup and FSN.Aalborg So every third year it will be in Skrydstrup if not cancled :sad: this touches me hard because I only live 25 miles or 40 km from Skrydstrup........

Waddington Traffic Jams what are they... oh yeah I turn up on a motorbike and filter to the front or failing that go the night before and spend the night with a mate who's on 5 squadron...

Last great airshow i went to was Waddington international air show. Great day, lots of aircraft from all over the world on static display and also in flying displays. If you get the chance go, but be warned, only one main way to Waddington, and there are tailbacks as far as the eye can see. If you decide to go, send me a PM and ill give you a route that brings you out about 5 mins from the base, it will cut out about half an hour of traffic.

That's the trick. Do some navigation, get as near as possible, using the smallest roads, BRING YOUR BICYCLE WITH YOU and you're there.

Another big adavantage is that in case of rain, you won't get stuck in the mud with a couple of thousand other cars somewhere in a meadow or even on the airfield........

In some cases they I saw them use plane tractors or even AFV's and light tanks to get people out of the mud.....

Hou doe,

That's the trick. Do some navigation, get as near as possible, using the smallest roads, BRING YOUR BICYCLE WITH YOU and you're there.

Another big adavantage is that in case of rain, you won't get stuck in the mud with a couple of thousand other cars somewhere in a meadow or even on the airfield........

In some cases they I saw them use plane tractors or even AFV's and light tanks to get people out of the mud.....

Hou doe,

HAHA i think it was two years ago when it rained so much, that the airshow was cancelled and cars where stuck on the airfield!

hmmm While I'm at RAF Lyneham I see most of the aircraft attending these air shows in the south of the UK before they go to the display circuit... perhaps, say a few days before the airshow, it may please you plane-spotters amongst us to check out the other bases surrounding the main base/airfield where the show's taking place... last year I got to see most of the types that were gonna attend RIAT...of course RIAT was a washout XD and cancelled, point is most of the heavies were hanging around Lynehams pads... shame I cant take many pics whilst at work DX

Anyways, Cosford is always a good'un...

btw; someone said they knew a 'boom operator' to film the vulcan...shes never done air/air refuling in civvie hands...plus only accepts drouge :3