Sign in to follow this  
Laton

Float planes

Hi guys,

Still working on the CL.IV but I've been poking around the old Wings of War max files I've got here (this is the same source as many of the A-Team WWI aircraft)

and found a few models they didn't bring across to FE so I'll have a go at them.

Progress so far:

Felixstowe F2A

felix1.jpg

There are 3 or 4 skins for the the F2A

Brandenburg W 29

hansa.jpg

At the moment I don't plan to do a huge amount of extra work on these (re-mapping, re-painting etc).

There are a few WW2 float planes available for TK's other sims so getting them to work on water should be possible.

Can the water be used for these planes in FE? The water acts the same as solid ground. You can land planes on it without crashing or even splashing.

BOOM CHICKA WAH WAH!! :dance:

Man, I can't believe these have been stashed away all this time!

Are there any other unreleased gem's in those WoW Max files, Laton?

Regards.

Bucky

I think you'll have to use the Flanders terrain. With the stock Cambrai terrain the Channel is beyond the edge of the map. There are some floatplanes available for WWII so I assume you can land on the water? I would also think the ship wake or bow wave effects could be adapted for the planes. Very cool Laton. :good:

Bucky - I'm pretty sure the A-Team got all the rest, but I'll keep looking :biggrin:

I think these will end up being 'amphibious' so if you see them in quick missions its possible the game will make them take off or land from normal airfields.

Mission builders should be able to populate coastlines

These look fantastic!

Coastal air operations in WW1 are a very poor cousin to the action in France over the front. Both in the Sim world and indeed aviation history! Although FSWW1 does go into it very well.

It is well worth looking into and will give food for thought for you mission builders!

U-boat hunting, protecting troop ships crossing the channel ( or attacking them), anti Zep and Gotha patrols, Cap Missions over docks etc not to mention Fleet operations from early carriers or battleships!

Look forward to these!

Bucky - I'm pretty sure the A-Team got all the rest, but I'll keep looking :biggrin:

I think these will end up being 'amphibious' so if you see them in quick missions its possible the game will make them take off or land from normal airfields.

Mission builders should be able to populate coastlines

Does the A-Team own the rights to them?

Does the A-Team own the rights to them?

Can't see how they would. The original Max files are freely available here (scroll to the bottom of the page).

(ETA: The A-Team would of course have the rights to their skins/LOD's and Max re-works of the originals.)

The skins are in DDS format. Nvidia has a Photoshop plugin for that format here.

Edited by Laton

These are freely available for anyone to mod. Even capun and polovski (of OFF fame, who hosted these models at his site), stated that when all this erupted a couple of years ago. Ahh, memories :rofl:

Edited by peter01

:whistling:

:biggrin:

Hiya Laton, lads...

Any New Updates on these lovely Float planes or your much anticipated CL.IV pal? Really looking forward to flying some excellent new Birds in F.E. I want to thank you Laton for all your hard work and your recent models which I am enjoying flying very much mate...

All the best....

Rab Watson

Fife

Scotland

Hiya Laton, lads...

Any New Updates on these lovely Float planes or your much anticipated CL.IV pal? Really looking forward to flying some excellent new Birds in F.E. I want to thank you Laton for all your hard work and your recent models which I am enjoying flying very much mate...

All the best....

Rab Watson

Fife

Scotland

Funny you should ask.

The CL.IV is at about 95%, just talking to Peter about the FM.

imga1.jpg

imga2.jpg

and I got the Felixstow in-game for the first time a few hours ago:

felix1-1.jpg

Still lots of work getting all the ini stuff sorted out, but it's on the way. A few more weeks on this guy probably but I'll be working on the Brandenburg at the same time.

Edited by Laton

Hi Laton..

Thanks for the update mate..wow..these Aircraft look amazing..excellent Job!!!!

Kind Regards...

Rab ;0)

What ever happened with the Float Planes?????

Ditto! I wasn't around last year and missed these then so I'm seeing them for the first time. Maybe he's too busy making an Albatros D.I or D.II or both (*nudge*nudge*wink*wink*).

I think he's been busy making a kidgrin.gif . Hope all is well Latongood.gif

float/seaplanes CAN be used, but you have to use Gepard's "Invisible Airfield" (patpending) as he used in his WW2 Midway terrain, and I shamelessly borrowed for my WW2 "Central Pacific" terrain (and a few others).

The major side-effect is, the game engine "sees" (or maybe seas?) it as a normal airfield, so in single missions, you can expect land-planes to operate off it as well. However, campaign builders can force their use ONLY to seaplanes/amphibs, in their squadron basing statement.

wrench

kevin stein

Good to know they will work. And I'm sure one of use will figure a way for them to work the way they were intended, from water, without other aircraft spawning.

Thanks Wrench.

But we have no Seaplanesblink.gif ........yetgrin.gif

Oh Gosh!!! The W.34 - the most beautifull seaplane ever!! Some new ships to attack could be come along too. :drinks: