Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Fighters crashing for training

I´ve just known of two Spanish Air Force Hornets wich collided mid-air during ACM over the Canary Islands. Both pilots ejected safely,( God Bless MartinBaker, 29000ft and mach1+) but these make the 4th and 5th aircraft we loose this year, all of them because taking the training perhaps a little too far. Two Mirage F-1 crashed in a simmilar accident earlier this year, claiming the life of three pilots. Another F-18 crashed was lost, pilot ejected, when collided with an observation tower in a Range. The aircraft use to fly beside them (

) too close for comfort.

The attrition for this cause that we sustained this half year alone is greater, IIRC, than the UN/NATO forces in 7 years in the

Balkans. I know that training is key for the air dominance that the western coalitions gain in mpst conflicts, but are we making

these training to hard?

Well, like they say - you fight like you train. But, perhaps the training rules need review.

yea, that seems a bit high, particularly when matched against the size of the force.

at least this time the pilots are okay

Cheers

It does seem high...but then again, I'm wondering how much we hear about accidents now that we are so much more interconnected. Accident rates (not just total number of accidents, but proportionally) used to be much higher back in the day.

Yet, there are some accidents we don't even hear about even today.

How many of you know we lost a T-38 at Edwards a few weeks ago with the loss of the pilot (who I found out I had instructed back about a year ago)? Or that we had a serious incident in a T-38 at one of our pilot training bases (destroyed the aircraft) around the same time.

We have a lot of stuff happen that you never hear about.

So I'm wondering how much is perception and how much is reality?

I honestly don't know the answer to this one. Glad to hear everyone got out okay.

FC

It's a dangerous job with deadly risk, but they know when they sign up for it.

I'd heard about a T-38 incident recently, but I'm not sure which one it was.

How many of you know we lost a T-38 at Edwards a few weeks ago with the loss of the pilot (who I found out I had instructed back about a year ago)? Or that we had a serious incident in a T-38 at one of our pilot training bases (destroyed the aircraft) around the same time.

:salute: