Sign in to follow this  
snapper 21

Shadows on planes in SF2

Don't know if anybody has come across this, but I thought this problem was caused by the shadow.shd file which I have deleted from the aircraft folder. Also have change the .ini file from

[shadow]

CastShadow=FALSE

ShadowLOD=F104C_shadow.shd

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

to this

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

But still getting the problem, any ideas?

Cheers

Snapper 21

3rd party plane.

related to the model LOD meshes and SHD files for 06 Patch

Cockpit open mesh. Not much that can be done I'm afraid.

FC

Good God! Turn your back for two minutes loads of replies. Cheers guys just checking I wasn't doing something wrong, will go with what I have got.

Cheers

Snapper 21

Good God! Turn your back for two minutes loads of replies. Cheers guys just checking I wasn't doing something wrong, will go with what I have got.

Cheers

Snapper 21

Sorry, then the problem is not solvable??? :blink:

Unless the author finds the max file and puts a few stitches on it

Unless the author finds the max file and puts a few stitches on it

Author, where is you!!!! :clapping: Help us!!! :help:

I believe that particular author has long since left the modding scene.

For those who might be new to the ThirdWire series, modding for it has been around for over 5 years, with many changes to the code since then. A lot of the older models will have problems in the most recent series. Most issues can be worked around...some will never be fixed.

For this one, like snapper said, probably the best thing to do is remove the [shadow] entry.

FC

Easiest is to just return it to the old style shadow statments, left as ShowShadow=FALSE

the other, -now, mind you I haven't personally tried this- if you have SF or WoE or one of the early games, extract the shd file for the stock F-104G from the objects cat, drop it into Ajundars' Zipper folders, change back to TRUE, and see if the 'tractorbeam' line disappears.

if it don't work, you've only wasted a couple of minutes

wrench

kevinstein

Easiest is to just return it to the old style shadow statments, left as ShowShadow=FALSE

the other, -now, mind you I haven't personally tried this- if you have SF or WoE or one of the early games, extract the shd file for the stock F-104G from the objects cat, drop it into Ajundars' Zipper folders, change back to TRUE, and see if the 'tractorbeam' line disappears.

if it don't work, you've only wasted a couple of minutes

wrench

kevinstein

Oooooh...interesting. Do shadows work that way?

FC

I don't see why it wouldn't....several 'reallly old' models seem to have working shadows with the old lods.

Only take me a few minuets to find out, won't it??? :wink: as Ive got Ajundair's 104A all set up in the IndoPak mod...

let me test and i'll get back to you

wrench

kevin stein

ok, grabbed the F-104C, dropped it into SF2, extracted the old 06 level shadow lod for the 104G (as it dont seem to be in 08 level WoE's object cat no more....), edited the ini, and here's the results.

btw, this aircraft NEEDS some other tweeks as well, in the landing gear, as the nose continuiously bobs up and down on the ground (probaly needs the jounce and rebound adjusted on those KYB shocks... :biggrin: )

Also discovered that with the ENB stuff installed, screenshots are now appearing in the /Flight folder!!! as bmps....more strange crap to deal with!!! (like the fact that when I changed the 'type' of image in the options.ini to bmp, photoshop wouldn't open them ''unable to parse file type''.)

ok, first shot on the ground; shadow for the wingtip tanks needs distance extending. 2nd shot just off the runway, where you'd normally see the 'tractorbeam'. And it aint there!

So, yes, it works.

And for those that want to try it, i've attached the shd in the zip

wrench

kevin stein

ok, grabbed the F-104C, dropped it into SF2, extracted the old 06 level shadow lod for the 104G (as it dont seem to be in 08 level WoE's object cat no more....), edited the ini, and here's the results.

btw, this aircraft NEEDS some other tweeks as well, in the landing gear, as the nose continuiously bobs up and down on the ground (probaly needs the jounce and rebound adjusted on those KYB shocks... :biggrin: )

Also discovered that with the ENB stuff installed, screenshots are now appearing in the /Flight folder!!! as bmps....more strange crap to deal with!!! (like the fact that when I changed the 'type' of image in the options.ini to bmp, photoshop wouldn't open them ''unable to parse file type''.)

ok, first shot on the ground; shadow for the wingtip tanks needs distance extending. 2nd shot just off the runway, where you'd normally see the 'tractorbeam'. And it aint there!

So, yes, it works.

wrench

kevin stein

Giddy up!! Finally a use for a pre-Oct 08 Gen 1 install! :biggrin:

FC

So, yes, it works.

wrench

kevin stein

This method, can I use it for: :dntknw:

1) F-16A_ADF ??

2) F-16A_Blk10-NDC ??

3) G91R3 ??

:blink:

AGOSTINO,

Try it out and tell us. If you can't find a SHD file for those aircraft, find one that looks close and use it.

FC

Or give them all B-52 shadow and scare peasants.

Now THAT shows creativity!!! :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

AGOSTINO,

Try it out and tell us. If you can't find a SHD file for those aircraft, find one that looks close and use it.

FC

Thank you a thousand you all!!! :good:

I'd use Zur's, the Great and Powerfuls, Sabre shadow for the Gina. It's close enough in shape

wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench

Could you post your 104 ini shadow lines?

I have tried this

[shadow]

CastShadow=FALSE

ShadowLOD=F-104G_SHADOW.SHD

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

but I don't get any shadow????

For the drop tanks I added to the tank ini

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=2000

MaxVisibleDistance=200

And this seems to work quite well.

As for the bouncy nose on the runway, have tried using the stock cf-104 values but get pogo stick on trampoline effect.Have tried other values but can't get rid of the initial bounce, any idea what figures I should use?

And a general question to those who have download the F-104C-10 anything else that needs updating that I have missed?

Cheers

Snapper 21

If you want to stop that from happening then turn shadows off, if you can bear to live without them :lol: ,

Jack