Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Tripe vs Tripe action is awesome

This flight sim never fails to suprise me with how many cool things you can do in it. During the course of trying out the Camel and asking questions about it, Dej mentioned that he loved the view in the Sopwith Triplane. I had previously flew the tripe a few times and felt it was a bit slow and unstable. Well I took what I learned in the Camel and decided to try to apply some of that to the tripe. Don't turn too hard. Use the rudder as an elevator to keep it from spinning. Watch the stall speeds and also take advantage of that HUGE forward view the tripe has. That plane is a BEAST against EA.

Even though the plane data claims it was replaced by better models in 1917, I find that with the right tactics, I can keep almost anyone in my sights the vast majority of the time. When the Dr 1s zoom climb too high for me, rather than follow and stall out I just level out, look up and see which way they are going to fall back over and then turn and prepare to dive in that direction. I'm back on their tail in seconds! I don't know about campaign mode yet, but in QC mode I can do a pretty good job of shredding the bosche. With that huge view, if I respect the limitations of the Sopwith Tripes stall and turn rates, I am finding great success in testing myself against even 3 ACES as long as I make sure to check my 6 constantly and shake off pursuers before engaging. I may just have to hit the campaign with one of these 3 winged terrors soon.

Thanks Dej,

Hellshade

This flight sim never fails to suprise me with how many cool things you can do in it. During the course of trying out the Camel and asking questions about it, Dej mentioned that he loved the view in the Sopwith Triplane. I had previously flew the tripe a few times and felt it was a bit slow and unstable. Well I took what I learned in the Camel and decided to try to apply some of that to the tripe. Don't turn too hard. Use the rudder as an elevator to keep it from spinning. Watch the stall speeds and also take advantage of that HUGE forward view the tripe has. That plane is a BEAST against EA.

Even though the plane data claims it was replaced by better models in 1917, I find that with the right tactics, I can keep almost anyone in my sights the vast majority of the time. When the Dr 1s zoom climb too high for me, rather than follow and stall out I just level out, look up and see which way they are going to fall back over and then turn and prepare to dive in that direction. I'm back on their tail in seconds! I don't know about campaign mode yet, but in QC mode I can do a pretty good job of shredding the bosche. With that huge view, if I respect the limitations of the Sopwith Tripes stall and turn rates, I am finding great success in testing myself against even 3 ACES as long as I make sure to check my 6 constantly and shake off pursuers before engaging. I may just have to hit the campaign with one of these 3 winged terrors soon.

Thanks Dej,

Hellshade

You're welcome. Glad someone else is loving her as much as I did. Don't know whether you've found this but I discovered that on right hand turns if you throttle back, bank sharply, slap on full right rudder and let her nose drop she'll almost spin out but then turn on a sixpence/dime if you immediately whack up the throttle and pull back on the stick to keep hauling her round. It's tricky to catch the moment consistently but if you get it right I'd swear she turns faster then the Camel. She's an absolute dream in my opinion.

Unfortunately campaign life in the Tripe doesn't last long enough before the RNAS foist the Camel on you.

Edited by Dej

Please remember the Fokker Triplane was but a copy of the Sopwith original, it recieved accolades because uf it's twin guns weapon system

However if you look around this sim, you'll find the rather rare Twin Gun Sopwith Tripe. I believe there was only 6 ever made

Then the original is a lot less "twitchy" than the Fokker Dr 1. I always found the Dr 1 to be highly sensitive to any stick adjustments at all. The Sopwith Tripe appears to be have built with more stability in mind. It's a pretty stable gun platform (not quite as good as an SE5a), but with excellent turn fighting skills and the best view. I wonder why they abandoned the tripe after only making 6.

Hellshade

Well, the Fokker Dr.1 was INSPIRED by the Triplane - she was not a copy, but pretty different.

So she had a much lesser wingspan. And it was an "instable" craft. Maybe more tricky to get

used to it, but if you can fly her really, she is an outstanding turn fighter.

Then the original is a lot less "twitchy" than the Fokker Dr 1. I always found the Dr 1 to be highly sensitive to any stick adjustments at all. The Sopwith Tripe appears to be have built with more stability in mind. It's a pretty stable gun platform (not quite as good as an SE5a), but with excellent turn fighting skills and the best view. I wonder why they abandoned the tripe after only making 6.

Hellshade

There were only six twin Vickers Tripes, a hundred forty odd of the single Vickers though... for the RNAS at least. The poor bleeding RFC having to struggle on with outdated fighters when they could have had these babies was criminal - albeit the Camel was 'on the horizon'. I reckon there were RFC pilots killed that might well not have been if the Army and Navy hadn't cocked up on the contract and the Army hadn't swapped for the SPAD VII instead. The Jastas gave the Tripe a wide berth and preferred to fight further south than face her.

The Tripe wasn't without her weaknesses though, impossibly hard to maintain or repair in the field and short on spares. Inadequate bracing on some of those built meant the wings were likely to collapse in a steep dive. But I'll forgive her all that.

There were only six twin Vickers Tripes, a hundred forty odd of the single Vickers though... for the RNAS at least. The poor bleeding RFC having to struggle on with outdated fighters when they could have had these babies was criminal - albeit the Camel was 'on the horizon'. I reckon there were RFC pilots killed that might well not have been if the Army and Navy hadn't cocked up on the contract and the Army hadn't swapped for the SPAD VII instead. The Jastas gave the Tripe a wide berth and preferred to fight further south than face her.

The Tripe wasn't without her weaknesses though, impossibly hard to maintain or repair in the field and short on spares. Inadequate bracing on some of those built meant the wings were likely to collapse in a steep dive. But I'll forgive her all that.

I'll give those bosche engineers credit for at least one thing. They figured out early that 2 guns side by side is better than 1 and they stuck to that for most of their fighters. The Allies had more than a few single gun planes. Apparently they had a great deal of faith in their pilots marksmanship. The germans on the other hand new the plane just got you to the fight. The guns actually win it.

Hellshade

Dej, I'm just back from a fight against Tripes from 1 RNAS. It's damn hard to survive that in

an Albatros DIII - they turn so much tighter than us. I lost all my flight members, and after

having fired all my ammo, I had to make an emergency landing. Against a real, human pilot,

I would not want to face it in an Alb.

About the guns - you're right there, Hellshade. Firepower is my only advantage in the Albatros.

Well, the Fokker Dr.1 was INSPIRED by the Triplane - she was not a copy, but pretty different.

So she had a much lesser wingspan. And it was an "instable" craft.

I'm pretty sure the main contributing factor to the DRI's "instability" was that it's wings had no dihedral angle whatsoever. Probably not a prudent plan to let go of the stick....particularly at low altitudes.

Dej, I'm just back from a fight against Tripes from 1 RNAS. It's damn hard to survive that in

an Albatros DIII - they turn so much tighter than us. I lost all my flight members, and after

having fired all my ammo, I had to make an emergency landing. Against a real, human pilot,

I would not want to face it in an Alb.

About the guns - you're right there, Hellshade. Firepower is my only advantage in the Albatros.

Well, at least you survived. Allmenroeder didn't (debatedly). Whether Collishaw shot him down or not, what a horrible way to die, trapped in a crashed machine and surrounded by decomposing bodies. WikiLink. And now not honoured in his home town, unless that has changed Olham? Creaghorn?

Sorry, bit OT, was looking again at Tripehound aces and WWILFed my way to Allmenroeder's death... and was moved, seemed like a decent guy.

[EDIT ... no reason he shouldn't have been, of course [/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

I'm really starting to get the hang of the twin gunned tripe in QC mode. It's relative quick turning and ability to pick up speed fast makes it an amazingly effective killing machine in the skies. It seems all of those wings give it some nice lift too. I've been able to turn at less than 45 mph without stalling, and all it takes is a quick dip and I can be back up to over 120 mph or more in seconds. Plus, it gives an excellent view of that beautiful high res scenery! In a way it's a strange bird. It's not the best plane at being the fastest, nor the sharpest at turns or the most stable, but the combination of being very good at all of those things in addition to a clear view and excellent firepower makes it a fantastic bird of prey! I'll have to try the single gun version and see if it's still capable of being so lethal with only 1/2 the firepower.

Hellshade

I'm really starting to get the hang of the twin gunned tripe in QC mode. It's relative quick turning and ability to pick up speed fast makes it an amazingly effective killing machine in the skies. It seems all of those wings give it some nice lift too. I've been able to turn at less than 45 mph without stalling, and all it takes is a quick dip and I can be back up to over 120 mph or more in seconds. Plus, it gives an excellent view of that beautiful high res scenery! In a way it's a strange bird. It's not the best plane at being the fastest, nor the sharpest at turns or the most stable, but the combination of being very good at all of those things in addition to a clear view and excellent firepower makes it a fantastic bird of prey! I'll have to try the single gun version and see if it's still capable of being so lethal with only 1/2 the firepower.

Hellshade

You'd better get used to the single Vickers if you fancy flying the Tripe in campaign mode. For the longest Tripe career you'd need to be with 1 RNAS who flew it from January to December 1917. You'll have the twin Vickers for a month in July. Alternatively, try 10 RNAS where you'll fly a Tripe from February to August 1917, again having the twin Vickers for a month in July but instead of going back to the single Vickers you'll trade up to the Camel.

Thank you for the link and report, Dej - I had not known these details about Allmenroeder's death,

and it is a horrible way to find your end, indeed - worse than any movie book author could have

invented. I can hardly shake it off.

Soldiers or pilot aces are rarely honoured here in Germany; even those of WW1. Their names may

have been misused by the Nazis, but generally, it didn't seem to feel right after a second world war,

which was started by the Germans, to honour military men - whether they where 'decent guys' or not.

But you made me curious, and I googled for street names with aces in them.

And I found this at the "Berliner Zeitung":

http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitun...0093/index.html

So, there are still some names left, even when they are almost 'hidden' in some cases.

I also found a Ernst-Udet-Strasse.

If anyone wants to google more, here's how to write German street names:

1. the full name version has to be written: first name-family name-Strasse

2. family name only version: family namestrasse in one word, like "Gonthermannstrasse"

Edited by Olham

I haven't tried the Tripe yet in OFF (shame on me, but there are only so many hours in a day!), but is the special version with 2 MGs slower or clumsier than the normal 1 Vickers version? Because that must have been why the British didn't make more of those Tripes with extra firepower - at least that was the case with the Pups and Nupes, which would have lost their advantage in manoeuvrability if given an extra gun.

Thank you for the link and report, Dej - I had not known these details about Allmenroeder's death,

and it is a horrible way to find your end, indeed - worse than any movie book author could have

invented. I can hardly shake it off.

Soldiers or pilot aces are rarely honoured here in Germany; even those of WW1. Their names may

have been misused by the Nazis, but generally, it didn't seem to feel right after a second world war,

which was started by the Germans, to honour military men - whether they where 'decent guys' or not.

But you made me curious, and I googled for street names with aces in them.

And I found this at the "Berliner Zeitung":

http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitun...0093/index.html

So, there are still some names left, even when they are almost 'hidden' in some cases.

I also found a Ernst-Udet-Strasse.

If anyone wants to google more, here's how to write German street names:

1. the full name version has to be written: first name-family name-Strasse

2. family name only version: family namestrasse in one word, like "Gonthermannstrasse"

in nürnberg there is a tram-station and street named "fliegerstrasse", next station is "immelmannstrasse", next to it "boelckestrasse" and to it "richthofenstrasse"

so at least in nurenberg they have their names on streets, although almost nobody knows who that was.

because of the shadows of WW2 there is no open heroism in germany at all. nobody dares to say, ok. he was a hero and a good soldier. that's one of the reasons why the german red baron movie was made in so hippielike, pacifistish style. a hero was a hero, doesn't matter for which side. but in germany heroism and patriotism is completely toned down, compared to other countries. that's why the american influence in germany is probably bigger then in other countries. a french for example doesn't give a sh... what an american says. he's proud of his country and everything it stands for. in germany everybody who might honor a soldier of WW2 (about WW1 mostly they have no clou at all anyway) might instantly get into the same pot beeing a nazi. even showing the german flag somewhere was very cautious and with a bad feeling because one who shows flag was thrown into the nazi-pot. every country has it's heroes and openly celebrates them. every country shows flag. in germany nobody gets credit for doing his duty because war is something terrible, so the soldier must be terrible too.

that doesn't count for the german army. every soldier knows who rommel was, what he did. every pilot knows who hartmann and mölders and all the others were. it's the civilists who are not interested and honoring them at all. but it's only a german thing and IMHO a shame. at least showing flag was getting better the last couple years because of several sport events.

From memory the Tripe dual gun FM is slightly worse climb, more nose heavy, and a few mph slower.

You'd better get used to the single Vickers if you fancy flying the Tripe in campaign mode. For the longest Tripe career you'd need to be with 1 RNAS who flew it from January to December 1917. You'll have the twin Vickers for a month in July. Alternatively, try 10 RNAS where you'll fly a Tripe from February to August 1917, again having the twin Vickers for a month in July but instead of going back to the single Vickers you'll trade up to the Camel.

Twin vickers for a month in July? I doubt I'll live the full month but it'll at least be an exciting one. I tend to be one of those pilots who looks for every scrape I can get into. It's amazing to me how well the Sopwith Tripe holds up against enemy aircraft produced much later in the war than it was. Even a Fokker DVII appears to have it's hands full trying to dogfight it. He's faster, but has a hell of a time trying to get on my 6 for a kill.

Hellshade

Guest British_eh
I'm pretty sure the main contributing factor to the DRI's "instability" was that it's wings had no dihedral angle whatsoever. Probably not a prudent plan to let go of the stick....particularly at low altitudes.

I believe that you are absolutely correct. On my campaign to find out more about the DR1, you never could let go of the stick as she would not fly straight, but Yaw and Pitch would put you into a spot of trouble.

I also believe that weight was a major factor in the twin gun Tripe only being an experimental, and of course the maintenance issues, and the Camel, all led to it's shortened duty time.

Ok, both "Tripes" are my favorite planes to "fly: :flyer:

Cheers,

British_eh