• Mig-25
    • Mig-29
    • Su-27
  4. 4. Blue in late 70's and early 80's

• F-14
    • F-15
    • F-16
    • Harrier

Mig-17 vs F-4B/N/S, not having a gun hurts. I can yo yo with them but with no gun. I always seem to get in gun range and can't kill em. That is when they start turning hard on me and I am screwed.

I only have WOV, and so far I have used the lessons learned with what I have read in books to suceed in staying on top in most situations. SAM's get me more than MiGs and SU's, which is still not as much as AAA, but they have their moments.

Now, I downloaded the F-5 from here, and went and got into a scuffle with some MiG-19's, and I had one guy that worked me pretty good. That plane can decelerate so fast, much faster than the F-5, and naturally I started to overshoot. I swung to the outside to bleed speed and open a little for a guns kill, and he broke into me like a good boy, and wouldn't you know it? The little F-5 couldn't stay with this guy in the scissors; wings too small, kept trying to stall all over the place, etc...I went through this three or so times, and every time the only way to live was to just go up, which I started using and finally got him, but in the flats he was yanking down around 105 mph???? Amazing.

That's the story of my toughest opponent.

~Tax

Flying as Charlie pilot my 2 worst enemies are the F-105 and the B-52!!!!

Not laught at me, please, I'll explain: I can outfly any American fighter in a MiG (well, more or less...), but the Thud, simply push the afterburner, bomb, go for home and....mission failed. End of story.

With B-52 is even worst. If I'm in a MiG-21, I fire all my missiles and nothing touch the beast. Then I close and empty my gun, and the B-52 is flying as I'm not here. Again, mission failed. I remember only a B-52 kill since I have WoV.

As American, the most deadly is the 19, hands down (specially if you are flying a "no gun F-4")

On modern planes, the all aspect missiles is true, it's a game of "who fires first" and nothing more. So, I like much more the earlier planes

Edited by ojcar

Flying as Charlie pilot my 2 worst enemies are the F-105 and the B-52!!!!

Not laught at me, please, I'll explain: I can outfly any American fighter in a MiG (well, more or less...), but the Thud, simply push the afterburner, bomb, go for home and....mission failed. End of story.

With B-52 is even worst. If I'm in a MiG-21, I fire all my missiles and nothing touch the beast. Then I close and empty my gun, and the B-52 is flying as I'm not here. Again, mission failed. I remember only a B-52 kill since I have WoV.

As American, the most deadly is the 19, hands down (specially if you are flying a "no gun F-4")

On modern planes, the all aspect missiles is true, it's a game of "who fires first" and nothing more. So, I like much more the earlier planes

I agree about the difficulty in intercepting F-105s. Unless you make a near flawless approach, you will never get them.

It's easy. Never fly red air. So I don't have that problem. :lol:

My worst enemies in air:

F-5e

MiG-29C

SU-27 series

Mig-21PFM

MiG-17F

All are deadly when flown by aces, the Flankers being the hardest to break out of when their on your six.

Edited by spriggs

Thinking about things since my last answer i've changed my opinions a bit.

In the early campaigns, the MIG 19 is the big threat across the board on the Red side. It has it all over the F-100 in '62 and is still quite a threat vs F-4s in a close in fight. It's speed also makes it harder to disengage from compared to a 17. Speaking of the Mig 17, if you ever get low and slow with one around you are as good as gone.

Call me a bit blase, but the MIG 23 i never consider a threat in a fight. The only threatening thing about them is SARM shots as one closes in or tries to disengage.

In later campaigns the SU27 has a bit of an edge over the MIG 29 but both are formidable aircraft.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

late 70th, early 80th and then MiG-29 and Su-29? :no:

They came mid to late 80th.

If you take the MiG-23 in account you also must say which version.

MiG-23MS you can forget

MiG-23MF only as interceptor with their medium range missiles usefull

MiG-23ML now it becomes a good rival

MiG-23MLD is a deadly beast

Same with the MiG-21.

Between the MiG-21PF and the MiG-21Bison are miles. A Bison is extremly deadly, while a MiG-21PF is nearly useless

One overlooked plane that is quite the beast in the 62 campaign...

The Canadair Sabre MK6 is a wonderful dogfighter and is quite deadly in a turning fight. Don't ever let your airspeed bleed against one or you are finished.

Guess we can all say the Fresco is equilavent to a tie fighter...

This might be a bit out of bounds but it's the truth.

In the WOE 62 campaign, my greatest worry is intercepting IL-28s. Let's be for real, AIM-9Bs are not that all reliable and the Iron Beagle can take a whole lot of punishment without going down. The tail gunners are icing on the cake. Bad enough the missles rarely cause a kill, but having to close in with a gunner there waiting for you is just not the walk in the park you they teach you.

True get to close tothem bye bye plane.. :blowup:

One heck of a hard decision to make, particularly on the first 2.The Phantom can wack anything when put to good use, but ignoring aircraft such as the Kfir or the Nesher is simply a crime.As for the 1st, I can safely say that the -17 is easily any plane's bitch, as long as it is kept away from your six.Should it ever get there, I hope you got some thrust available...Some versions of the Fishbed and the Farmer carry both guns and missiles, and their agility level is fine, to say the least.But they still can't beat a Sparrow :P

Anyway, I'll go for the Fresco and the Phantom, cause when I fly in Frescos vs F-4s, I almost always die, and vice versa (when the hostile formation is 4 aircraft or more, I'm very likely to find myself in a MiG's sights).However, I can't help but agree with:

One that's flown by a live player :grin:

and

This might be a bit out of bounds but it's the truth.

In the WOE 62 campaign, my greatest worry is intercepting IL-28s. Let's be for real, AIM-9Bs are not that all reliable and the Iron Beagle can take a whole lot of punishment without going down. The tail gunners are icing on the cake. Bad enough the missles rarely cause a kill, but having to close in with a gunner there waiting for you is just not the walk in the park you they teach you.

(when carrying AIM-9Bs, or going for guns).