Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Post a pic of your town

...where we bury the Boche? Traitor!

Just between thee and me, [and I would not want this generally known] but there's more Krumpets in there than I'm admitting to.

Hauksbee, is that a green '96 VW Jetta in your driveway? :haha: If so it's the twin to mine!

Close. It's a '93.

Bringing back some sweet memories Hauksbee

post-46698-1247521727_thumb.jpg

My uncles & cousins take me out lobstering when I visit them in Maine

As the rookie, I'm assigned the lowest position - baitman

Stuffing mesh bags full o' 2 day old dead fish ...perculating in a steel box

Banding claws and dealing with whatever other critters they catch

They take me out on Saturady's - 1/2 days

Come back exhausted as it's tough nonstop work

Ah, but out on the water with the sea breeze and and picturesque scenery

Heat your lunch up on the exhaust pipe, then back at it

Get home & Auntie points me straight to the showers

That's when the boat starts rolling all over again

Sigh, haven't been there for 2 years now :sad:

They made the movie "The Islander" there few years ago

Trailer:

Storyline talking about territorial fishing rights and unseen borders on the sea is quite true

:rolleyes: Maybe this summer

Edited by Duce Lewis

I don't live in a city, town, village, hamlet, or anything officially recognized. I just live "in the country" somewhere near Lousy Anna's armpit. As Hank Jr. said,

I can skin a buck, I can run a trot line

And a country boy can survive

Oh, the glories of satellite broadband, or else I wouldn't be here :biggrin: .

The pic below was taken when

I was standin' at de Crossroads

Evenin' sun goin' down

This crossroads is the closest landmark to where I live. As you can see, this is dead on the Blues Highway. The main gate of Schloss Geschosskopt is centered between the sign posts and you can just barely make it out if you know what to look for. Walking out there to take the pic just now, I stepped over a possum and a water moccasin, and ducked several swooping bats that were after the yellow fever, malaria, and West Nile mosquitos that swarm around here. Enter at your own risk :haha:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39416639@N02/3718309613/

Edited by Bullethead

That's some very nice flint-knapping in the pictures.

That's some very nice flint-knapping in the pictures.

You're too kind. Nothing I've made in my life would sell for more than $50 unless the buyer didn't know anything about the pricing of modern points. True masters can command their price into 5 figures.

Where I live, most of the Indians weren't very good a knapping, if I do say so myself. This isn't surprising, because they didn't get much practice. Lousy Anna is mud all they way down to Hell, where there's a thin layer of baked adobe just above the flames :). Thus, the local Indians had to import most of their rock. Most of their points were therefore made of fire-hardened wood, antler tines, and garfish scales.

The points I find lying around on the surface were doubtless lost during hunting. These are work-a-day points that don't have to look nice as long as they get groceries. In fact, the thicker they are, the more likely they are to survive. OTOH, their true artisans made very fine stuff, often paper-thin, that they buried with their chiefs in their mounds. Such things would be 1-shot weapons on the hunt or in war, however, despite the extreme skill needed to make them.

Modern masters make stuff that you'd bury with a chief. I make stuff that's somewhere in between that and what you find lying on the surface.

Edited by Bullethead

True masters can command their price into 5 figures.

Five figures? Damn! There's a whole unsuspected world out there. Who buys them? Is there a Flint-Knappers 'art scene'? Are shows held? Contests? There's got to be a monthly magazine? A Knappers 'Olympics'?

Hey, Bullethead - good you're back.

Your description of your home place is so cosy - you might have written as well:

Please - I don't want anybody to come up with the idea to make a visit!

I think, it's understood (Lol!)

When I wanted to look at your pics, Yahoo wanted a registration, where I'd even get an E-mail address.

Is that for free? I don't like to read all the conditions; if it's for free, I'll do it.

Edited by Olham

Well I'll post some pictures of my hometown. I'm in the mountains of Georgia and attended college at North Georgia College in Dahlonega, GA. I'm relocating to another part of the country, which is why I'm comfortable sharing this on a forum lol. The town of Dahlonega is absolutely beautiful, as is the campus of my old college. I'm off to grad school further north for the next few years; I'll miss seeing it, to be sure...

Ah, I could watch the pics without registration.

Have you photographed the flint tools, and drawn them? That's incredible!

My girl friend's dad used to do that. He had found three place in Ostfriesland,

that had been neolithic settlements. I have often walked the field with him,

and found some great stuff.

Five figures? Damn! There's a whole unsuspected world out there. Who buys them? Is there a Flint-Knappers 'art scene'? Are shows held? Contests? There's got to be a monthly magazine? A Knappers 'Olympics'?

The world is full of people with way more money than sense (sadly, I'm not one of them) who like to collect utterly useless but still very expensive stuff. Some of them go for paintings, some for classic cars, and some for projectile points. In the case of masterpiece projectile points, what they really want are real artifacts, but those are not only exceedingly rare but also mostly illegal to acquire these days. Thus, the get the next best thing: modern reproductions. These are also very rare because the skill required to produce them is very rare, so these reproductions are every bit as expensive as blackmarket artifacts of similar quality.

At my talent level, however, I'm lucky to get more than $20 for a point. It's just a hobby to me, so I don't mind--I make enough to cover the cost of tools and materials. I actually sell most of my stuff to little kids; small points for $5 each. Every little kid wants an arrowhead :yes: . Even the girls, who make necklaces and pins out of them. The girls especially like points made of glass for this, because they sparkle. The best material for that is an empty Bombay Sapphire gin bottle, which not only has a pretty light blue shade, but also has large flat areas from which to make points.

Knapping is a reasonably popular hobby these days. Look for flint knapping on Google and YouTube and you'll find all sorts of stuff. There are several magazines and newsletters to choose from.

Please - I don't want anybody to come up with the idea to make a visit!

I think, it's understood (Lol!)

I like visitors, especially those who come over to drink. I was just reminding folks, however, that this area killed scads of European settlers back in the day, so you might want to get your vaccinations up to date before visiting. Uncle Sam vaccinated me, but my family's been here nearly 3 centuries through all the epidemics so I figure I was immune already.

When I wanted to look at your pics, Yahoo wanted a registration, where I'd even get an E-mail address.

Is that for free? I don't like to read all the conditions; if it's for free, I'll do it.

Yup, it's free. Sign up for Yahoo and you get an email address (which I never use--I just let it trap spam) and a place on Flickr to post your pics.

OK attempt #7

Spent the last 10 years in Southington, CT

Small Town USA

Here's the Town Green

home-top1c.jpg

The Congregational Church

first-church-sothington.jpg

Big Event in Town is the Apple Harvest Festival

P9290078.gif

And where ther's Apple Festivals there's apples

Consumer.jpg

Finally our (very) little Ski Resort ...err Hill

3100791913_0665723c43.jpg

Here's my hometown, the thriving metropolis of Davisboro, GA. That's my clock shop in the two story brick building on the left. One of two businesses left in town. I understand it used to be a relatively vital city 40 or 50 years ago. At least it's quiet.

Hey Capt. Sopwith, I was in Dahlonega last summer for a cousin's wedding. I go up to Helen quite often and have some clocks for sale there. Beautiful country.

post-14238-1247754757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Lucky

Hey, Mr.Lucky - if your clock shop is one of the two businesses in town, I hope, the other

is a supermarket?

Hey, Mr.Lucky - if your clock shop is one of the two businesses in town, I hope, the other

is a supermarket?

Believe it or not, it's a photography studio. We drive @ 16 miles to the supermarket. But since it's a farming community, we never go hungry. My neighbor has a lot of 3 legged cows :)

I grew up about 25 minutes northwest of Southington, near Litchfield. It's a nice area.

As of right now I live in Maryland just outside of:

photo_lg_washingtondc.jpg

Here's a place in Bethesda proper:

1401615143_24c76a44e4.jpg

The world is a small and precious pearl.

Southington? In my maps I just had one in Southington. Duce Lewis!

This is my home turf. The pretty little city called Breda,

located in the southern part of The Netherlands near the

Belgian border. 25 Kilometres from Antwerp, 45 kilometres from Rotterdam,

100 kilometres from Amsterdam.

Famous for the Jazz Festival, Harley Davidson Day, Balloon Fiesta,

Netherlands Military Tattoo, the pretty church and the Great Market (best place to drink

a wine or beer in the summer, and watch pretty women parade).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breda

Cheers!

Muesli - are you OFF pilot? In that case I would like to add you to our map-of-pilots project.

I grew up about 25 minutes northwest of Southington, near Litchfield. It's a nice area.

SirMike,

Litchfiied sure is nice

I used to take my li'l Mazda Miata up thata way

The rolling hills and curving roads were pure pleasure

There was also an excellent Mexican restaurant just west of town center

Can't remember the name though

SirMike,

Litchfiied sure is nice

I used to take my li'l Mazda Miata up thata way

The rolling hills and curving roads were pure pleasure

There was also an excellent Mexican restaurant just west of town center

Can't remember the name though

La Tienda perhaps? It had a big Cactus light in the window.

La Tienda perhaps? It had a big Cactus light in the window.

That's it!

Some of the best Mexican food in the State

The Margarita Machines never stopped running

Mmm ...I'm hungry

That's it!

Some of the best Mexican food in the State

The Margarita Machines never stopped running

Mmm ...I'm hungry

I think they've turned into something else now, though it's still a Mexican place if I recall. I ate a couple times at La Tienda a very long time ago. It was pretty decent. I haven't eaten down in that area in a long time (there's also a Chinese Buffet called 'Ming's' in that plaza). When I'm up in CT on vacation I usually end up going to places in Torrington or eating at home.