Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Hitler Parody: Over Flanders Fields

I think BoB only touched on a few because it is so difficult to touch on all. It took a well documented training-end of an elite unit and kept it very close to authentic by following the book. I think it touched on the comraderie that any unit whether elite paratroopers or dogfaced grunts.

As far as the opening scene in SPR, anyone who was not blown away in the theater by that must be emotionally detached. I also thought the cemetery scene was quite authentic. There are tons of videos and pictures of vets in Normandy, Arlington, Vietnam wall that fall to pieces when they get there. It carries them back to a time in the past that they cannot put into words for someone who has not experienced it. That is why I found the old man with his family being overcome by seeing his dead Captains gravestone after 50 years to be quite touching and very real.

Yup, ditto. But that was not "his" Captain - that was the Captain, who was sent out to save him,

and who lost his life for him.

I found that scene made the drama more intense, cause all the time until the end, I thought, the

old man was Tom Hanks - the Captain - after all those years. That way, I believed throughout the

whole film, that the Captain would survive. And was quite double shocked, when he was hit fatally.

If you ever get the chance, watch Jeremy Clarksons TV documentary 'For Valour'.

It's a programme about the Victoria Cross, and in particular, the exploits of one Major Robert Hendy Cain, who earned himself the VC at Arnhem, amongst other things, taking out Tiger tanks with the crumby British PIAT. All the more remarkable perhaps, because his own daughter didn't know he had earned the VC until after his death in 1974. He'd never thought to mention it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Henry_Cain

Programs like that do a lot more for me that ANY war film. I don't need to see bits of bodies flying across the screen to know it happened.

I've watched The Longest Day any number of times because it's such a massive event. For all its attention to authentic realism, I've only watched SPR once.

BoB (that is Band of Brothers, not Battle of Britain) is very watchable, largely because it's the real veterans who dictated their own true story. Real life stories of brave men, no extraneous plot required.

If you guys are at all interested, a few weeks ago I put together another spoof based on the 787. I don't know how many of you follow the airlines, but it's more or less my life and I love it, so I had to spoof it.

It picked up about 4,000 views the last 2 days, so I'm rather happy with it. I hope you all enjoy it too.

Jaysus! Talk about "a Rock and a Hard Place"!

But it's true. Moral relativism leads directly to Dachau and its equivalents. There most definitely are absolute good and evil things, and those who think otherwise are not only fools, but are the primary reason why evil gets whatever footholds it can amongst a great majority of people who are fundamentally opposed to such things. The good people who still possess an innate sense of right and wrong are afraid to speak out against patent evils because they don't want to be branded as intolerant by the moral relativists and sued out of house and home.

Thus, evils that could easily be crushed at their beginnings are allowed to grow and spread, until they take over the reins of the state and thereafter can dictate their tune. And all such tunes involve a Dachau for somebody, based on race, creed, color, sex, political views, or whatever.

When that happens, there's nothing for it but for those remaining to undergo a Verdun. This leads to massive wars that kill even more people than the Dachaus of the evil regime. Such massive bodycounts are the ONLY fruit of moral relativism. And it could all be avoided before it started by just not being afraid to say "that's WRONG" to the jerks who start the whole process.

So in actuality, the REAL choice is between being able to denounce evil without fear of repercussions from a morally relativistic, holier-than-thou group of PERCEIVED social superiors, and just going with your God-given sense of right and wrong. Failing to do the latter leads inevitably to a choice between Dachau and Verdun, to the great harm of all. So to me, the best way to prevent both horrible evils from working their will, AND THEN having to fight horrible wars to stop them, is to immediately slap the bejeezus out of all those who claim there are no absolute goods and evils. Without their BS blinding otherwise good people to the blindingly obvious, we wouldn't have the problems we do.

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything". That's pretty much the ONLY lesson to be learned from history, as a practical matter, for all of us who don't lead armies or run nations.

BoB (that is Band of Brothers, not Battle of Britain) is very watchable, largely because it's the real veterans who dictated their own true story. Real life stories of brave men, no extraneous plot required.

That I have no problem with. But the problem is, every swinging Richard who musters to the Pìobaireachd, hears the bugles, follows the drums, obeys his draft notice, or whatever, is equally brave.

An' now the hugly bullets come peckin' through the dust,

An' no one wants to face 'em, but every beggar must;

So like a man in irons, which isn't glad to go,

They moves 'em off by companies uncommon stiff an' slow.

(Kipling, "The 'Eathen")

I thought both SPR and BOB were very good

Both had combat that was quite realistic and shocking

IMHO the cemetary scene added alot to SPR as it showed the lasting effects

But imagine if a realistic film on Verdun was made

A 10 hour epic couldn't show all the horrors of that battle

Just pictures of the bayonet trench bring pause

If you guys are at all interested, a few weeks ago I put together another spoof based on the 787. I don't know how many of you follow the airlines, but it's more or less my life and I love it, so I had to spoof it.

It picked up about 4,000 views the last 2 days, so I'm rather happy with it. I hope you all enjoy it too.

Considering I work for a major international carrier, and I am a licensed commercial aircraft mechanic....

I nearly pissed my pants!!! That was the BEST one yet! AirHitler! That was fantastic. Who wants to fly to JFK anyway! Awesome and very well thought!

Thanks for making a really good one. Some of these are terrible. What did you use to make the subtitles?

OvS

I used Sony Vegas. Great program.

I work for the Airlines, too. Ramp for UA out of SFO.

If you like the video, pass it on to your friends, would be nice to get 10,000 views. Something of a milestone, I think. :)

Edited by Launchbury

"For all of Spielberg's talents, he has a tendency to the overly saccharine or maudlin at times."

Spot on that man. Spielberg's films are inevitably spoilt by his inability to make a point without drowning it in pink icing. And for everyone else who's been saying that SPR is such a superb war film, may I suggest you dig out a copy of Come And See - now *that* is a war film.