Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Hitler Parody: Over Flanders Fields

Very funny... not sure if it was a put down of OFF or a recommendation, after seeing all the easy kill posts on ROF. :biggrin:

I happened to have just watched a DVD of the film Valkyrie tonight, amazing, true story. I often wonder if it would have had any affect on the war if the assassination had been successful?

as to hitler represnting germans... he was actually austrian, just like bruno!

as to assassinating hitler it would have gone longer if they had not done something about himmler. i believe churchill himself said that hitler could sometimes be of grat assistance to the allied cause with his quirky moods and behaviour. however many alternate histories i've read over the years where rommel or canaris take over have the germans sueing for peace with the western allies giving up all lands taken in 1939-1940 and turning their full attention to the russian whom the german military percieve as the real threat. in most of those histories after a few months an exhausted GB takes the deal. so does the USA so we could turn our attention to Japan who actually attacked us. interesting lines of thought.

Just FYI, I'll be coming out with a few more of these, all of them aviation-themed for those of us who like a laugh with the industry we love.

OvS, thanks for cuddling (Lol!) Of course he couldn't represent the Germans - he was a native Austrian.

What clouds my mind sometimes about that time, is that the Germans followed him without more resistance.

And that's what the used video scene shows: a bunch of sweating high ranking officers - and none of them had

the courage to pull that creep over the desk and shout into his face "It's over; we're finished with you maniac!"

And to cuddle you back a little: there must be far more Italians making very good meals, than in any mafia families.

The world would be so much poorer without them...

OvS, thanks for cuddling (Lol!) Of course he couldn't represent the Germans - he was a native Austrian.

What clouds my mind sometimes about that time, is that the Germans followed him without more resistance.

I think it all comes down to Hitler's miraculous charisma, his incredible luck during the early years and that he seemed to achieve everything he had promised and then some. I've read from many sources that even in the final months of the Third Reich he was still able to convince people who had doubts about the final victory (Endsieg) just by talking to them. He must have been a really convincing and charismatic personality to make so many intelligent people follow him to the bitter end. I've also read comments about people who were completely under Hitler's spell when listening to his speeches and talking with him in person, if they were privileged enough to meet him, but when they read his book Mein Kampf they felt it was very awkward and not at all convincing. So it was his personality and not his writings which made normally quite sensible people believe in him like he was a god. Hitler had no need to give specific orders about matters such as the mass murders of Jews and other people, because he had more than enough willing believers under his command who were eager to do what they thought their beloved Führer would want to be done in each and every situation.

He must have been a really convincing and charismatic personality

Yes, I think, everyone who met him said that - must have been a very strong appearance.

My mother, who heard him in the radio as a girl of 10 years, and only seeing pictures of him

in schoolbooks, thought of him as a great over-father.

When all had gone down in ashes, a world collapsed for her.

Edited by Olham

göring once said to a friend, it doesn't matter if there is a monarchy, democracy or whatever. that's all a farce. you can always manipulate people and make them do what you want to do. only thing you have to do is make them believe they are threatened by another country or race or religion.

that's quite true. today and last couple years is no different. for both sides...

"Okay I admit. It was me. :) I'm glad you guys enjoyed it."

Well, very well done. I was impressed, given that script writing really isn't that easy, and being funny even less so (as I've found to my cost).

Olham - I well understand your reticence regarding the video, and I winced slightly at the context, but, when all's said and done, it's now a historical period which is slipping - like they all do - into its place in history. When I was a young lad, I read a boy's annual sort of book that described the American Civil War (getting me interested in it forever, dammit), wherein it mentioned that the last survivor of that war had died a few years earlier. History.

A few days back, Henry Allingham finally stuck his spoon in the wall, poor old sod. But he'd had a magnificent life, it seems, and used his latter years to good effect, telling the young people of Britain what war was about. Good on him. A life well spent. But there goes the final - is he the final one? - serviceman from WWI.

In a few years, we'll be saying much the same about WWII servicemen and women, and the immediate emotional distance from such a traumatic period will recede. It recedes all the time, of course, but with such distance, all personal feelings and implications about WWII will also be viewed (to my mind, quite properly) through a more objective lens. In short, whilst there are people who might feel that Germans have some sort of unique guilt or responsibility with regard to WWII, I'm not one of them. As a historian, I can see (I hope) a larger picture in which personal guilt (or suchlike) is simply a chimaera - individuals were guilty, people as a whole were gullible or acquiescent; this is simply a fact that is repeated throughout the known history of mankind.

So, forget that social conscience for a moment. The Germans I know are remarkable people who've well absorbed any lessons to be learned from a war that ended nearly 70 years back. Barring a few right wing nutters - that every country has, including the UK, USA, Oz and SA, let's not forget - there's no issue to address.

Well, that's the way I see it, anyway.

My best wishes to you!

Thank you all again. Maybe that video is an Anti-Hitler-shadow remedy.

Watched it again, and the laughing came easier this time. There's hope!

Just FYI, I'll be coming out with a few more of these, all of them aviation-themed for those of us who like a laugh with the industry we love.

Did you really make that? It was great, can't wait to see more!

How about some about the war between ROF and OFF.. that would be interesting.. maybe it would lighten up things on the forums if they could laugh about it a bit?

Great stuff. Laughed so hard, I loved it. And if it had come from Churchill with differnet verbage, or Roosevelt, it would and could have been done just as well.

How about some about the war between ROF and OFF.. that would be interesting.. maybe it would lighten up things on the forums if they could laugh about it a bit?

Interesting indeed, but better make sure the number of compliments/criticisms are exactly the same for each sim

...they will be counting :yes:

OMG!

Alright, I just saw this, and while I fully appreciate the initial feelings expressed by Olham, this is still one of the funniest bits I have seen in ages, and I am now cleaning up the coffee I just spewed all over my monitor!

I agree with the comments made here about being able to laugh at, belittle, and generally slam one of history's most vile figures. People like Hitler are fair game for anything, IMHO. The whole "Springtime For Hitler" routine in "The Producers" is another one of my all-time favorite digs at the maniac. By the way, I have an avitar that might come in handy for someone, (watch out for the llama, he spits).

nazi_llama_1.gif

I'm sorry Olham...too soon?

Cheers!

Lou

Thank you all again. Maybe that video is an Anti-Hitler-shadow remedy.

Watched it again, and the laughing came easier this time. There's hope!

I think it would be difficult to see the humor if you speak German. It's funny because of the tension between what he's really on about, and what a translator tells you he's saying. If FDR, or Churchill, were raving about something, and the OFF material was in German, I'm sure it would fall flat with me. Being an English speaker, the english would register first, then I'd have to read the German...but it wouldn't be funny.

Yes, it only works for me, when I turn the sound off. The read, with the acting, is funny!

I always tend to think 'there but for the grace of God go I', for if I had grown up in Germany at that time I would most likely have joined the Hitler Jugend and become a fervent Nazi. It is very hard to go against the feeling of your nation at such a time. In my time, I joined the Boy Scouts instead...

I think it would be difficult to see the humor if you speak German. It's funny because of the tension between what he's really on about, and what a translator tells you he's saying. If FDR, or Churchill, were raving about something, and the OFF material was in German, I'm sure it would fall flat with me. Being an English speaker, the english would register first, then I'd have to read the German...but it wouldn't be funny.

you know what... you're 100% right. I didn't of it that way. I have no clue what he is shouting about, so to me it's hysterical seeing the subtitles. I think the one with the Patriots loosing the Super Bowl, and the one Where Hitler's XBox breaks are truly comical in every sense the subtitles can toss at you, but still, if I knew what he was saying, I don't think I would be laughing either.

BTW... what movie is this? Is there an English subtitiled version? I have a huge collection of WWII movies, I'd love to add this one if it's any good? From what I can see, the acting looks very good.

Thanks,

OvS

You don't have to understand or play OFF to know what he's talking about...atleast I didn't.

The movie is called Downfall and yes, there is an English subtitled version.

And, being a Patriots fan, is there any chance you could provide me with a link to the Super Bowl loss flip out?

You don't have to understand or play OFF to know what he's talking about...atleast I didn't.

The movie is called Downfall and yes, there is an English subtitled version.

And, being a Patriots fan, is there any chance you could provide me with a link to the Super Bowl loss flip out?

Don't hate me for this... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cKtFhArBps...=PL&index=8

James, you havent seen this movie yet?! This is "must see" movie. This is probably one of the best ww2 movies i have seen. The german name of film is "Der Untergang".

you know what... you're 100% right. I didn't of it that way. I have no clue what he is shouting about, so to me it's hysterical seeing the subtitles. I think the one with the Patriots loosing the Super Bowl, and the one Where Hitler's XBox breaks are truly comical in every sense the subtitles can toss at you, but still, if I knew what he was saying, I don't think I would be laughing either.

BTW... what movie is this? Is there an English subtitiled version? I have a huge collection of WWII movies, I'd love to add this one if it's any good? From what I can see, the acting looks very good.

Thanks,

OvS

James, you havent seen this movie yet?! This is "must see" movie. This is probably one of the best ww2 movies i have seen. The german name of film is "Der Untergang".

Thanks Arto, I'll look for in on Amazon! I've seen Stalingrad, which was German made and was a fantastic movie. Probably one of the best and most authentic. So I'm sure this one will be the same. Just from the silly parody's it looks very good. :good:

OvS - the movie "Der Untergang" shows the final days in the Fuehrerbunker; and Hitler's decay and loss

of reality. The officers report about the Russians closing in on Berlin. Hitler wipes it away and says, this

would all be cleared by Steiner's counterattack. The officers have to tell him, that Steiner could not

unite enough forces to make that attack. That's what leads to the outbreak of Hitler's rage.

He explains to the officers remaining in the room, that he couldn't lead Germany any further to get out

of this situation, when his orders were not followed.

Maybe I'm extremely sensitive, but when I see his madness in combination with his charisma; and the

obvious fear of those officers in the face of all this madness and rage - it makes me feel horrible.

I did not manage to see the whole movie; it just brings up too bad feelings in me.