Sign in to follow this  
badgerboy

battle damage to aircraft

Okay, here are my settings - not necessarily best for all cards; don't know; but an orientation.

I am running an ATI RADEON X1900, and everything is fine.

PS: "simulation warnings" and "advisor messages" must be un-clicked, if you want them. I don't.

Thanks Olham,

Here are my settings.

post-50791-1249509103_thumb.jpg

post-50791-1249509139_thumb.jpg

post-50791-1249509181_thumb.jpg

post-50791-1249509219_thumb.jpg

post-50791-1249509240_thumb.jpg

Thanks Olham,

Here are my settings.

whoops,

here's the one I messed up

post-50791-1249509623_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert on this; I can only tell you MY settings, as they work

for me (wonderfully!):

Try these clicks in "Parameter Editor for Overrides":

+ Disable Vertex Buffers

+ Disable Index Buffers

+ Disable Write-Only Vertex Buffers

+ Disable Write-Only Index Buffers

Try these in Parameter Editor for Texture Info

Put "Composite Terrain Texture Pool" on "managed".

Put "Composite Aircraft Texture Pool" on "managed".

Put "Vertex buffer Pool" on "managed".

I hope mostly, that the line "Composite Aircraft Texture Pool" being set to "managed" would do the trick.

And again for all with that problem: first make sure, that you have set the Aircraft skin resolution IN WORKSHOP

on "normal res." (see my previous screenshot of "Workshop").

In the start window of "BHaH", click on "workshop", there on "Graphics config" button, then on "file",

"custom settings" (ignore warning) > "window" > "overrides" and "texture info".

Also there: "change display options" - here you choose the highest resolution, your monitor can do.

Also near there: Set player FOV button (below left of Graphics button). FOV = Field of view

That is recommended, I believe, at 23 x 19. I have mine (for my 4:3 monitor) on 25 x 20 - works fine for me.

Thanks, Olham; I never noticed that 'window' button at the top.

Well, I now see visible damage. It is the result not of changing settings but of changing planes. I have been flying an EIII in my campaigns and seeing no visible damage. Tonight in quick combat I flew an EIII, DVII, and Roland CII against a 2 gun Sopwith tripe (for max hits). In each case I made myself an easy target but manuvered enough to present different aspects of my plane to the gunfire. In the case of each plane I took many hits, saw debris flying off when looking back, and soon had an unflyable aircraft. I inspected each plane for visible damage while going down. I couldn't find a single sign of visible damage on the EIII. The DVII was shredded with splinterted wood, flapping canvas, and many bullet holes. The CII had only a few bullet holes in the upper wing panels. From the number of hits and the amount of debris flying off I would have expected all three to look like the DVII.

I then flew a Spad VII and Newport 11 against an Albatross DII and did the same as above. Again I saw debris flying off. I couldn't see a single bullet hole in the Spad. The Newport had multiple bullet holes in the horizontal stab and elevators but nowhere else.

Olham, Which Albatross do you fly? I'm wondering if it shows damage more like the DVII than the EIII.

It appears to me that visible damage is more a function of the airplane than graphics settings.

I do have a damage display issue that I strongly believe has nothing to do with graphics settings. I never see the red text messages listing the damage to my plane or the blue messages listing damage I inflict on enemy planes (and yes I have hit some). Homeboy tells me he sees both. My overides and other settings are identical to his. Is there a command that toggles the text display of damage?

It really is amazing how much information is out there, but you'll need to read, a talent that is no longer practiced it seems

Thanks to the guys on this and other forums:

See the FAQ near the top for intial set up

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

and also

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm

There it was, question #26 in small print- how could I be so stupid!

Your sarcasm is thinly veiled, uncleal, as is mine. :biggrin:

Condor- I just flew a quick combat with pilot never dies setting with a DVII, and did in fact see damage to my L wing (fabric flapping and everything) after a few well-placed bursts from a Neuport.

Olham- it must have been one of the 'clicks' you suggested in the overrides, thank you VERY much :yes:

This game gets better every day.

Condor- I just flew a quick combat with pilot never dies setting with a DVII, and did in fact see damage to my L wing (fabric flapping and everything) after a few well-placed bursts from a Neuport.

Olham- it must have been one of the 'clicks' you suggested in the overrides, thank you VERY much :yes:

This game gets better every day.

Just for fun, try the same thing in an EIII. It will be interesting to find out if you see visible damage. I didn't.

Just for fun, try the same thing in an EIII. It will be interesting to find out if you see visible damage. I didn't.

I'll try it- haven't tried the EIII yet so I guess it's about time anyway.

Just for more fun, try it using my DM - and then Prop Wasches - Both can be downloaded - see the

OFF 3rd Party File and Mods Release Announcements forum.

Variety is the spice of life -they say :biggrin:

Condor, the blue and red lines should be among the three options in the overrides,

top right side. They should NOT be disabled.

Also, you may try these commands in sim:

- Status message (Toggle): Shift + B

- Kill labels (Toggle): Ctrl. + Shift + /

I am mostly flying the DIII, but also DVa and DII, and I saw multiple variations

of damage (holes in upper and lower wings, shots through radiator, shot up tailplane,

broken off wingtips, fabric missing showing framework etc.)

It appears to me that visible damage is more a function of the airplane than graphics settings.

I agree. And it might not just be a function of the threshold values that PW mentioned. I think bulletholes are decals applied to the underlying model skin, and it could be that some of them are set too low relative to the skin, so are inside the model instead of just above the outer surface.

You're right guys, Pol said recently, when you make a model, you also have to do the varieties of damages.

Just tested the DVII:

A/C slider set to 5

Workshop skin setting set to middle button

- NO bullet holes

- But when severely damaged - shredding of the elevator and wing root showing when I lost a wing.

I would like to see some bullet holes when slightly damaged.

Guest British_eh
I don't see much damage but my crate is hard to handle. :biggrin:

Right mate, sorry and all that stuff but you seem to be in a spot of trouble. Now take my word for it, just because you don't see things as being in a bit of a mess,they are. I suggest you might want to look about for a parachute, see if one of those Royal Engineers left his in there somewhere. Oh, good luck and God bless olde chap!

Cheers,

British_eh

Barkhorn, that sounds like there are two damages: the damage on the model (wing missing),

and the damage shown on the skin (bulletholes).

See my "texture info" settings further back, and check, if you have them like that.

I assume, that some of the aircraft skin things need to be on "managed".

Barkhorn, that sounds like there are two damages: the damage on the model (wing missing),

and the damage shown on the skin (bulletholes).

See my "texture info" settings further back, and check, if you have them like that.

I assume, that some of the aircraft skin things need to be on "managed".

I'll try those then.

Okay, here are my settings - not necessarily best for all cards; don't know; but an orientation.

I am running an ATI RADEON X1900, and everything is fine.

Gave this a try and game did not load. It would take me right back to QC combat screen. So I tried it with other pilots, and other aircraft. Still same happened. So I am thinking these settings are not for everyone. I am one that sees no damage most of the time. Once in a while I see some but have never seen a bullethole.

After applying new graphics settings it is usually a good idea to go back to workshop and click on the graphics settings button and reset your screen resolution settings. For some reason these sometimes reset to 800 X 600, causing your game to crash. Reset your resolution to the maximum your monitor can support with a comfortable refresh rate if a CRT.