Dont know whether ive put this thread in the correct place.

im flying the FA-18A in the desert storm mod and I was just wondering if its possible to do any ini changes in order change the flap settings on the aircraft so that they are not automatic?

If this is possible could someone explain how to do it please?

Cheers

Mike

Hey mike,

If you look in the F-18s data.ini file, you'll find the entries for the flaps.

Make a backup of the data.ini first!

One of the lines within will read something like AUTOMATIC_SPEED, or AUTOMATIC_MACH, or AUTOMATIC_AERODYMANIC_LOAD, or something similiar.

Simply change that line to read MANUAL or MANUAL_WITH_BLOWBACK, and that should work for you.

FC

Hmmm just to make things clear for myself - doesn't the real F-18 have automatic flaps, FBW and all that? I think I've read that somewhere, but I might had just made it up lol

It has FBW from what ive read - I think Ezlead used to fly one of these so would actually know!

Hmmm just to make things clear for myself - doesn't the real F-18 have automatic flaps, FBW and all that? I think I've read that somewhere, but I might had just made it up lol

They are both automatic and selectable at the same time as determined by the computers. All of the flight controls are tied into one another through the computers. The pilot can select the position he wants for lift purposes but the computers adjust the flap positions to assist in roll and (on the Supers) speed brake functions. The fact of the matter is that all of the flight control movements of the real aircraft cannot be simulated with SF/WoX series.

If you have some questions on the F-18, there is a guy in my squad who flew them for his entire 20 year Naval career, including the initial acceptance training. He stills flies them in some offical capacity, though not sure what. He is definately the guy to ask, so post your questions and I will put them on my squad's website, or you can register and post them yourselves. His call sign is Houdini.

11th_AF_Taxman

One of our moderators, Hrntfxr, used to work on them (knowing him, he performed intricate and delicate repairs on F-18s, using bubblegum, bailing wire, and duct tape :haha: ). He's another source of info.