Sign in to follow this  
Fliegenhund

Mental note "dont do scrambles"

Was cruising along up to 5hrs with 7 kills with my latest pilot in J28w. Just took off on my last mission a scramble. I got barely 500ft off of the ground and myself and my two wingmen were descended on by about 8 tripes, 6 of them were Aces! Needless to say I we got shredded and that pilot is dead. Next time its different mission. I did a search here on scrambles and wish I had read Bulletheads words of wisdom before I took off on that one. :(

Nice tips uncleal, I love the sneaky route too. I dont use TAC 90% of the time but for this I clicked it on and they were like 7K up and out some distance. They dove straight down once I started climbing and I realized I had been outfoxed. It also led me to wonder how the AI planes can can withstand the 10G's in a straight dive from 5K up?

Well not scrambling and instead waiting a while is called dawdling..

a good idea is to stay above the airfield. The airfields AA guns will give you a helping hand.

AI is able to do so - just accept it for now.

Fliegenhund, pull yourself together, man - 8 Tripes are like holidays for a scramble!

I'm usually jumped at by 12 - 16 fighters!

Next time (if you do them at all) press "Pause" and check them via TAC, by clicking "enemy target"

again and again, until you know, how many they are, and what type. That's not unfair, cause in a

real airfield, you would know beforehand, who is coming for dinner.

Next: Either wait, until everybody is turning low, before you start; or start fast and try to get 1 - 2 miles

out of it all. Mostly, 1 - 2 craft will follow. Mark one for your wingman and order "attack". Kill those!

And then return climbing, so you can eliminate one after the other, from top to bottom.

Eight Tripes should be nice firewood for an evening by the fireside!!

PS: I have a pilot in Jasta 28w, and one in Jasta 10, both in Wasquehal. Great action there!!!

Edited by Olham

Ugh, I can relate to this one a little too well...

My German Jasta 4 Pilot, Wilhelm Reinhart, who had nearly 10 hours, 5 confirmed kills and five more pending, and an Iron Cross, met his bitter end last night, all during another Scramble missions. We were jumped by a flight of DH2's - nasty little buggers I should add. Sadly though, while I was being chased and harrassed by two of the British scouts, it was the ground that ultimatley claimed Wilhelm's life. While circling, I dipped my left wing a little too low, clipped the ground, and just like that, my career was over. I actually yelled "NO!" at my desk. To say I was more than a little invested in my German pilot would be an understatement.

So for me, my pilot mortality rate is now 100% as opposed to the slightly better 99.99% when young Wilhelm was still alive.

PS: Oh yes, and hi guys, I'm back and safely moved into my new apartment.

PSS: Don't fly drowsy. I killed Wilhelm while flying a late night mission half-asleep. A poor decision...

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Yeah, hmm - that's what we do here. New pilots coming tomorrow. See, that you are one of them.

Call him Reinhard Fuchs (and act like a fox).

These DH2's actually ended one promising pilot's life for me. They should not be underrated, especially

in scrambles, they are extremely nimble, and there is at least one squad. flying in sand colour, which

is really good in them!

Edited by Olham

Yeah, hmm - that's what we do here. New pilots coming tomorrow. See, that you are one of them.

Call him Reinhard Fuchs (and act like a fox).

These DH2's actually ended one promising pilot's life for me. They should not be underrated, especially

in scrambles, they are extremely nimble, and there is at least one squad. flying in sand colour, which

is really good in them!

I think that was the squadron that took me out! They were light sand color and several had a large number 1 on the upper wing. Very talented squadron.

Indeed! I call them sand fleas! But they are good!

One more note:

Scrambles where not made in reality - at least on the German side. MvR regarded them as

sheer suicide and said calmly: We'll meet them again.

So, it wouldn't be foul play or cowardly, if you would just not fly them and click "time advance".

I like them and mostly fly them. But I would perhaps not with a 17 or more hours pilot.

Scrambles go best using turn fighters. Since the enemy is way above you and faster to start with, you're not going to want to climb after him if he zooms, regardless of what plane you have. What you do want is the ability to attack and evade as rapidly as possible. You will need to do a fair bit of evasion since it's hard to ascertain the number, formation and position of the enemy all while struggling to get altitude. Stick close to the base ground fire field.

If you have a plane like a Spad-- floor it and stay low until you can get some distance on the enemy, then climb and turn to fight them. The temptation is to turn fight, avoid it. Stay low and fast until you can get a little breathing space. This intial phase is a defensive one-- space gives you time to set up your second phase: attack. Then turn and meet the enemy-- you become offensive against the enemy aircraft. If they follow, drag them over the ground fire if possible to soften them a bit.

It's easier if you have a Nieuport, Pup, Camel etc-- just keep turning to keep your tail clear and make snap shots when they attack. Try to lure a turn fight-- low and slow is literally the case in these battles. Then the turn fighter negates the element of surprise and actually takes the advantage because there's nowhere to dive to once you have out turned him. I prefer this method since I can hang in the ground fire area while playing a simultaneous offense-defense combination.

Remember that just because the enemy has height, surprise, energy etc-- do not let that fool you into thinking you have to play defense the entire time. Take the fight to them where possible, break up their attack by making attacks where possible. If you see a stragler break off from the group, make your attack on him. It's balancing on the razor's edge: you're using evasion to keep enemies above you from killing you and at the same time attacking enemies who have lost their advantage by getting low and slow.

One more note:

Scrambles where not made in reality - at least on the German side. MvR regarded them as

sheer suicide and said calmly: We'll meet them again.

So, it wouldn't be foul play or cowardly, if you would just not fly them and click "time advance".

I agree with MvR completely. I have absolutely no problem in watching the show from a trench. And if you're on automatic time advance, you can still just hit ESC as soon as you're in the cockpit and end the flight. However, doing it that way usually means a few of your suicidal squaddies will die.

If you have a plane like a Spad-- floor it and stay low until you can get some distance on the enemy, then climb and turn to fight them. The temptation is to turn fight, avoid it. Stay low and fast until you can get a little breathing space. This intial phase is a defensive one-- space gives you time to set up your second phase: attack. Then turn and meet the enemy-- you become offensive against the enemy aircraft. If they follow, drag them over the ground fire if possible to soften them a bit.

It's easier if you have a Nieuport, Pup, Camel etc-- just keep turning to keep your tail clear and make snap shots when they attack. Try to lure a turn fight-- low and slow is literally the case in these battles. Then the turn fighter negates the element of surprise and actually takes the advantage because there's nowhere to dive to once you have out turned him. I prefer this method since I can hang in the ground fire area while playing a simultaneous offense-defense combination.

Sound advice SirMike

Watch your tail fastidiusly

No harm in just flying evasively if it's too tense

Speed and snap shots are very important

Wear them down 1 burst at a time

Eventully some will crash or bug out or at least loose performance

High speed low take-off will usually gets you to the edge of the fight

Fight from the outside in and your tail will be clearer

Climbing helps but only where reasonably safe

:biggrin: I agree, the temptation is to Turn and fight them on take off. Lost one of my favorite Albatross D-3 pilots Johnny Wisemuller , Two D-3s were luanching when the 2 flights of N17s or N16s droped like rain, The Wingmate got smoked and was burnig just off the edge of the airdrome when a N16 overshot him I banked right and got a long burst of 50 or so rds from the spandos ( spandus?) the Nuieport staggered 6 hits but flew on while I picked up 2 Nuieports on my 6 oclock and they were the best shots in england 8 hits then 8 more barked the lewis drum fed machine guns. Clack went the motor , Black smoke then all Red as my kite hit the trees. Pity he had almost 9 hours 2 kills ( N 16 and a Sop 1 1/2 strutter) and 2 claims a Balloon and a N 16. In conclusion, follow the Olham Ditca because Low and slow= find a new pilot. :sorry:

When they say scramble, I scramble!

Someone coming to hit MY house? Oh no they di'int!

That's what the Camel is made for: Dishing out the pain!

and if I'm feeling mean enough, I'll hit THEIR airfield after I'm done mopping up.

Camel FTW!

Guest British_eh

Yes, some good advice here, and I like Uncleal's thoughts. I'll add one more. Wait on the field, yes, wait, wait, and let the AA Fire/Flak sort them out a bit. Perhaps 3 - 4 minutes. Then as Unlceal states, T/O in another direction, and gain some altitude before coming back to the fray. Now you have a bit of an advantage :minigun:

Cheers,

British_eh

Carrick, those machine guns are written "Spandau" - Spandau is a western part of Berlin,

there was a lot of war production especially in WW2.

Sorry to hear your pilot died, but we are lucky bleeders, we can grow through these experiences,

the real pilots were just dead once and for all.

Yep, good advice, UncleAl and British_eh.