Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

WW2 Sims

Im after a little help. Im looking to invest in a new WW2 flight sim as I don't have one at the minute. I played the new IL2 demo last night (PS3) and although it was too 'arcadey' for me, the graphics were absoloutely awesome. As far as I know the IL2 games for the PC are not 'arcadey'. Is this a correct assumption?

The only WW2 sims I know of are CFS3 and the IL2 series. Could someone give any advice to which one to get? Preferably id like an in-depth sim with the best graphics available.

cheers

Mike

Il-2:46 is the newest WWII sim there is I believe. Its successor won't be out for awhile yet. There's also Battle of Britain 2, which is older than Il-2 but newer than CFS3. All of them are far more realistic than the Il-2 console demo version by default, but I think there are settings in the full game to make it less arcade like.

I still remember 10 years ago we had WWII sims coming out every month. That all stopped just a few years later.

I think there are settings in the full game to make it less arcade like.

Yes you can use these settings in the demo but when i stuck it on the hardest it was impossible to fly with the PS3 controller. Kept going into spins and stalls whenever i tried a slight turn. As I don't have a joystick for the PS3 ill be sticking to using flight sims on my pc. I think ill be getting Il2 1946 though. Read loads of good reviews and comments etc.

Thanks for your help guys

Mike

P.S. as an afterthought does it run ok on vista 64?

Edited by mikepie11986

dntknw.gif Not sure what you are looking for. I picked up Battle of Britain II Then loaded the patches works fine. It does have a steep learning curve so used the forum for advice. good.gif

Hi MaverickMike,

Thats a good question considering what your looking for in a WW2 PC game, since some are strong is some areas that you want, but so-so in others. Il-2 probably has the best AC and cockpits GFX's of the three (Il-2 1946/ BoB II WoV/ CFS3) the terrain is good as is the DM and AI, the FM's are a mixed bag some people love 'em some don't. I personally don't have a problem with most of the AC in Il-2 1946 but a few of them just don't seem right too me, but thats just my personal view. Also a major strong suit of Il-2 1946 is there are LOT's of flyable AC in all the major WW2 theaters, also ton's of Mods and skins. If Il-2 has any major flaws I would say it is the SP campaigns. I do not play Il-2 1946 much because of that, it just doesn't draw me in. I don't do MP much anymore but if I understand it correctly thats the real meat and potato's of Il-2 1946.

BoB II WoV has some very good AC and cockpit GFX (a step below Il-2 1946) and the terrains are good (vastly improved with the 2.10 patch) they are just a tick below Il-2 1946. The FM/DM and AI are also very good especially with the new 2.10 patch hard to say now if Il-2 1946 is superior, so I'll say there probably even. BoB II WoV stong suit is it's SP campaign, it does draw you in, downside is it's set in one time period...the BoB and accordingly the AC set choices are limited to what took part in the BoB, so flyable AC are the Spitfires/Hurricanes/Bf-109E's/Me-110's/Ju-87 Stukas, (maybe the Battle too, not sure about this one) you can't fly the bombers but you can man the gun positions, not sure if the bombadier station is manable. The game is somewhat modable but not to the extent of Il-2 1946. Skins are not an issue with this game since it does come with a new multiskin pack that provides most AC with historical skins and unit markings correct for the BoB (thanks to ACE of Il-2 fame).

CFS3 I really can comment on since my only copy was mainly just used so I could play OFF3 BHaH. I do understand there are lots of mods but again I cannot rate it fairly with the other two sim's.

drinks.gif

P.S. I missed your one question, I have all three sims installed on my Vista 64 PHE rig, Il-2 1946 needed minor tweaking and BoB II WoV also needed very minor to run on my Vista OS. CFS3 seemed to run with no tweaking needed.

Edited by godzilla1985