I was thinking....we have the aggressors F4,and F16 etc...so why not a small mission on range..?

heres my idea...

USAF v USSR...

we adapt a few missiles so no live warheads, they cant launch etc but we get a lock....

and hence a "Kill"...1 point to us...

I was toying with invisible harmless missiles that we fire..(no smoke...rockets invisible) so when you lock up the "Target"...u get a virtual "Kill"

I dont know wether having the contestants on same side...as it may make it harder to shoot them as they will move according to your flight path...?

I think maybe this could be feasible...tho I havent a clue to making a mission as such...im a dolt in that area...lol

wot you guys think..?

also would the game recognise a "Kill"...even tho the missile is harmless and the target is unharmed...

Edited by russouk2004

I was thinking....we have the aggressors F4,and F16 etc...so why not a small mission on range..?

heres my idea...

USAF v USSR...

we adapt a few missiles so no live warheads, they cant launch etc but we get a lock....

and hence a "Kill"...1 point to us...

I was toying with invisible harmless missiles that we fire..(no smoke...rockets invisible) so when you lock up the "Target"...u get a virtual "Kill"

I dont know wether having the contestants on same side...as it may make it harder to shoot them as they will move according to your flight path...?

I think maybe this could be feasible...tho I havent a clue to making a mission as such...im a dolt in that area...lol

wot you guys think..?

also would the game recognise a "Kill"...even tho the missile is harmless and the target is unharmed...

The Range only has one blue airfield. You would have go a similiar route as when the Firebee drones were used. Have the Red Force already in the air.

The Range only has one blue airfield. You would have go a similiar route as when the Firebee drones were used. Have the Red Force already in the air.

Hi Ant, Jeff, what was that about "Great minds..."? I was looking into this for the final -531 mission pack.

Here you go, F-100D Aggressors circa 1965, with a pairs departure from Da Nang (closely followed by a pair of F-4Bs on a rollercoaster ride through the highlands.)

img000151024x7682.jpg

Everything leaves from the same base, but remember to set FriendlyAirDefenseActivity=0 to avoid being toasted by the local 'blue' AAA.

Cheers, regards, Paul.

Hey Russ, great minds think alike :wink: I've been toying with the idea of a stand alone mod for Red Flag and a terrain of Nellis Range/Las Vegas area for MP action. We've got the Aggressors and other aircraft, just need a terrain and a specific weapons pack using "inert" weapons for scoring. Having actually worked F-16 Aggressors and been stationed at Nellis would allow for the details to be there. Thoughts?

I had a thought...Ive seen some aggressor film footage ,where the aim 9 was just attached to an F16 with the seeker active...and no warhead,or fuel etc...and in a mission lock on for 5 seconds and that was a "Kill"...so maybe summat like that ...and 3 lock ups and ur out of the game...

Yeah, those are CAP-9, active seeker only, same for CATM-120s. SOP for most training ops. Only reason I mention inert msls is a hit will be recored but a lock won't, of course a constant ringing of a radar lock will surely get your attention :grin: I think an international virtual Red Flag would really be fun to put on.

How would you set it up so that locks count as a kill - or is this MP only?

I'm thinking it might be easier just to take out the damage effects and leave the missiles the way they are so that the AI can handle it and people can't 'cheat' in MP.

I'm with jtin on this one. Make special missiles that have no warheads. The sim will still record the hits in the log, just no kills. This also keeps a realistic accounting of number of weapons. You can even do the same for the gun.

For those who want to fight against AI, I've already got that set up in the AT-38B for training, with various aspect angle missions, a dedicated AI opponent that uses specific AI OPFOR weapons, even ROE for 'floor morts'.

FC

could create some invisible harmless missiles...that are fired and as above,u get a recorded kill when u hit the bad guy..set a pylon to have the invis missile and a fixed missile on pylon that cant fire...so it looks like the CAP-9, active seeker only, mike mentioned..would be easy to make some to add as a fixed object..

I'm with jtin on this one. Make special missiles that have no warheads. The sim will still record the hits in the log, just no kills. This also keeps a realistic accounting of number of weapons. You can even do the same for the gun.

For those who want to fight against AI, I've already got that set up in the AT-38B for training, with various aspect angle missions, a dedicated AI opponent that uses specific AI OPFOR weapons, even ROE for 'floor morts'.

FC

That is a good idea, as it would give the firer better feedback as far as hitting, launch procedures, envelope, etc. But the only problem is that would the targeted player "know" that his or her plane was hit?

Guess it's time to make some missiles and see if that pans out.

Edited by EricJ

I had in mind more that there would be hits and kills - your plane would actually go down. The main problem I see with no damage is that people and AI are still gonna be flying and fighting whereas IRL, they're vectored back to base once they're 'dead' (is this right?)

Well it's really ROE, or Rules of Engagement, you get "shot" you assume a specific flight profile and therefore not considered "in play". And it's going to require some judgement too, with no explosive effect (maybe like 1b warhead to get the effect?) gonna need controllers who say "you're dead", etc.

After testing, the explosive effect does go off (no damage of course but visual and audio effects) and a hit notation in the Mission log, guess it solves that issue... Here's my test R-73 I had a MiG-29 shoot at me:

CAR-73.zip

Edited by EricJ

ok, so the scoring isn't an issue and you should be able to tell when hit. Now what about a terrain etc? I thought someone had Nellis in works? I can bring the F-16C Aggressor up to par and we could also introduce "Smokey SAMS" for ground engagements.

That would work, possible specific SAM sites due to the game cycling various SAM and AAA units (if we go that far) into the game, so that "Smokey" might smoke you by accident :smile: