Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Did you have a ww1 pilot in your family ?

Yes there is.It's the only time I have ever seen what his plane looked like in color.I have been looking for a color art work or profile of it for a while now.

I am somehow related to Hans Jeschonnek, who seems to have flown a Fokker DVII with Jasta 40

(as I found a downloadable skin here in our download section - maybe we even have him in OFF

already? I don't know right now).

I have never researched, what relative he exactly was. He commited suicide as a high Luftwaffe officer

in the "Third Reich", when Peenemünde was bombed hard the first time (don't know exactly why - seems

he was responsible for the realisation of Luftwaffe programs, and the bombing must have been a bad

set-back, about which Hitler was certainly extremely upset.)

My grandfather (father's side), had been an infantry soldier in the Somme area. In an assault, he got shot

through both upper arms by machine gun fire, and that was it for him - he survived half crippled though and

so he was lucky somehow - I'd say, after lots of horrible pics I have seen about trench warfare meanwhile.

Seems there is more than one skin for Herr Hans Jeschonnek. This is one I flew against tonight.

post-45792-12534928799176_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Arto! Do you have the title for the book on Carl Degelow?

ah, sorry. Black Fokker Leader - Carl Degelow. Writed: Peter Kilduff, ISBN 978-1-906502-28-7.

Wow, this is a great thread indeed!

Now I got curious about Jeschonnek and Jasta 40 and found this painting in the website

of the aerial paints artist Barry Weekley.

That site had dozens of pages with lots of WW1 Squads, Jastas and Escadrilles.

www.barryweekleyart.com

Thank you for the ISBN-Nr., Paarma.

Yes, this picture you got known jasta 40 pilots emblems.

Wow, this is a great thread indeed!

Now I got curious about Jeschonnek and Jasta 40 and found this painting in the website

of the aerial paints artist Barry Weekley.

That site had dozens of pages with lots of WW1 Squads, Jastas and Escadrilles.

www.barryweekleyart.com

Thank you for the ISBN-Nr., Paarma.

post-45827-1253531668875_thumb.jpg

Jasta 40, Wasquehal, 28. April 1918

Leutnant Karl Alfred Mahlo

Just arrived at my new Jasta 40, I had a sortie with Rausch, Jeschonneck, Hertel and Dilthey today.

I was lucky - my flight got Albatros DVa; I could even let my Berlin Bear get painted on mine.

A-flight went up with 6 Pfalz DIIIa. That is a sturdy battle horse, and she sure can dive like hell, but

apart from that, I wouldn't like to fly her. B-flight where 6 DVa.

On the way to military defense 429, A-flight ran into 6 SPAD XIII; three or four more joined in shortly.

I managed to remain unnoticed in the bad April wheather, and lead my flight around a cloud to a higher

position; then we attacked. Now the SPADs had a bad time - we where chasing them all over the sky!

They performed their dive-away tactics, but the Pfalzes followed and chased them back up to us.

Right at the beginning, my craft was hit - the ailerons didn't work too well anymore, and my roll rate

was that of a van; but Lammertz and Klemm stayed with me all now and cleared my back several

times.

The first craft I attacked was hit in a dive. When it pulled up with lots of G, still getting hit, the left wings

just flew away, and it spiralled down like a feather.

Now I witnessed Hertel being chased by two Frenchmen, and I came down on the right one. Dilthey

and Jeschonneck firing at the other, we got him out. I stuck to mine, and followed his descend in softer

spirals, always keeping my eyes on him. When he had to evade a dive of Rausch pulling up steeply and

banking right, I hit him full length from nose to tail. Now he lost speed but continued his climb. It was

terribly easy to follow him and fire 100 - 200 rounds into him, until he literally fell apart and out of the sky.

I had fired all my ammunition, and so I watched my wingmen Klemm and Fellinger shooting up the last

SPAD near us at low altitude. Then we reassembled and went home. I was excited - none of my wingmen

was missing!

Near our field, we saw the Pfalzes of Hertel, Jeschonneck and Dilthey coming in. Von der Ziegler was

wounded, and he made a crash landing, but he will be alright.

Hertel, Dilthey and Jeschonneck came for gratulations, and we discovered, that we are relatives!

What a first day!

I know, this would normally belong into "Screenshots" or "Reports from the frontline".

But as it was a sortie with my relative Jeschonneck, I made an exception.

Edited by Olham

What they put you in the air your first day. Degelow say in his book that he was reading and studing maps and ground marks very carefully many days before even got change to get air, even talking about taking part of the action in behind the enemy line. Very nice and accurate looking markings Olham! I think its quite historical, when you have the dva. Probably most experienced pilots had the pfalz´s.

Degelow noted in book: "The pfalz was somewhat underpowered and did not climb aswell as the albatros, but felt it was a safer a/c. So took thesecond-rate pfalz and , having learned its limitations, made the bestof it"

Jasta 40, Wasquehal, 28. April 1918

Leutnant Karl Alfred Mahlo

Just arrived at my new Jasta 40, I had a sortie with Rausch, Jeschonneck, Hertel and Dilthey today.

I was lucky - my flight got Albatros DVa; I could even let my Berlin Bear get painted on mine.

A-flight went up with 6 Pfalz DIIIa. That is a sturdy battle horse, and she sure can dive like hell, but

apart from that, I wouldn't like to fly her. B-flight where 6 DVa.

On the way to military defense 429, A-flight ran into 6 SPAD XIII; three or four more joined in shortly.

I managed to remain unnoticed in the bad April wheather, and lead my flight around a cloud to a higher

position; then we attacked. Now the SPADs had a bad time - we where chasing them all over the sky!

They performed their dive-away tactics, but the Pfalzes followed and chased them back up to us.

Right at the beginning, my craft was hit - the ailerons didn't work too well anymore, and my roll rate

was that of a van; but Lammertz and Klemm stayed with me all now and cleared my back several

times.

The first craft I attacked was hit in a dive. When it pulled up with lots of G, still getting hit, the left wings

just flew away, and it spiralled down like a feather.

Now I witnessed Hertel being chased by two Frenchmen, and I came down on the right one. Dilthey

and Jeschonneck firing at the other, we got him out. I stuck to mine, and followed his descend in softer

spirals, always keeping my eyes on him. When he had to evade a dive of Rausch pulling up steeply and

banking right, I hit him full length from nose to tail. Now he lost speed but continued his climb. It was

terribly easy to follow him and fire 100 - 200 rounds into him, until he literally fell apart and out of the sky.

I had fired all my ammunition, and so I watched my wingmen Klemm and Fellinger shooting up the last

SPAD near us at low altitude. Then we reassembled and went home. I was excited - none of my wingmen

was missing!

Near our field, we saw the Pfalzes of Hertel, Jeschonneck and Dilthey coming in. Von der Ziegler was

wounded, and he made a crash landing, but he will be alright.

Hertel, Dilthey and Jeschonneck came for gratulations, and we discovered, that we are relatives!

What a first day!

I know, this would normally belong into "Screenshots" or "Reports from the frontline".

But as it was a sortie with my relative Jeschonneck, I made an exception.

Thank you, Paarma. Yes, I followed their "design idea" for Jasta 26.

Don't know for the Lozenge - I took it from a 3view of Pearson, well aware,

that the colours look different to the other Lozenge.

Do you know, why Pearson did this one (Albatros DVa, pilot: Schreiber) in different colours?

Im not sure why he use this lozenge colors, meaby the printing is too saturated. The lozenge colors are much speculated, and there is many opinion of it. I would personatelly use more less colorfull scheme, especially in game, becourse in the air the plane look easily and too often too colorful arcade neon craft :). I think wings got much weathering and in the long run paint fade. I would use James or Makai´s lozenge wings.

Here you got much information about lozenge colors. Just choose whitch you belive would be more historical correct.

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/Colors/German/loz2/index.html

Thank you, Paarma. Yes, I followed their "design idea" for Jasta 26.

Don't know for the Lozenge - I took it from a 3view of Pearson, well aware,

that the colours look different to the other Lozenge.

Do you know, why Pearson did this one (Albatros DVa, pilot: Schreiber) in different colours?

I'm amazed that such a relatively high number of folks here had WW1 aviator ancestors, considering how few of them there were compared to those in other services.

I can't claim this distinction. Both my grandfathers and all their numerous brothers were US and/or Foreign Legion grunts, as were most of my European cousins. However, I did have some European cousins on both sides at the Battle of Jultand.

I'm amazed that such a relatively high number of folks here had WW1 aviator ancestors, considering how few of them there were compared to those in other services.

I can't claim this distinction. Both my grandfathers and all their numerous brothers were US and/or Foreign Legion grunts, as were most of my European cousins. However, I did have some European cousins on both sides at the Battle of Jultand.

Some things don't change then mate,my family are still fighting each other grin.gif

Interesting reading, this thread.

About Jeschonnek: He probably killed himself because he was receiving more and more criticism from his superiors (especially Hitler - Jeschonnek seems to have been a great admirer of the Führer and so his criticism hurt him very much) as the war was starting to go badly for Germany and the Luftwaffe was shown to be completely inadequate to the tasks required of it. Jeschonnek was partly responsible for the logistics, and he apparently did as well as it was humanly possible to do in those difficult conditions (Luftwaffe was simply too weak to survive against all the opponents on different fronts). The final straw was during the first Peenemünde raid, when Jeschonnek made the serious mistake of ordering the Berlin air defenses to fire at German interceptor fighters which had gathered near Berlin - there was some kind of a miscommunication and the fighters weren't where they were supposed to be.

Yes, you're right, Paarma, the colours look too bold somehow.

I may leave them for this skin, or perhaps tweak them a little in Photoshop.

Thanks for the link; I had it somewhere, but now saved it again.

About Jeschonnek / Jeschonneck:

I'm beginning to get confused - German Wikipedia has him, and say, he entered the

Fliegertruppe in 1917. But then they write, he fought at the frontiers of Ober-Schlesien?

And they write Jeschonnek, while there is also Jeschonneck elsewhere.

Now I wonder, if there where two different ones, both pilots in WW1 ?

This is not about a relation, but a few years ago I got my first copy of Combat Report by Bill Lambert who flew with 24 Sqn in 1918 in SE5As. He talks about a pilot called Southey who was a South African (and shot a few aircraft off his tail apparently). At the time I was working with a girl called Gill Southey (she is now married and has changed her name). I asked her if she was related, and she said he was her grandfather. Unfortunately there is no photo of Southey in the book, although he was still alive when the book was written in the 60s.

I would just try to make more less contrast to the wings and desaturate it a bit. It looks great lozenge anyway...

Hans Jeschonnek older brother "Kurt" was observer in flieger-abteilung (A) 281. He was killed in combat on 23 august 1918.

Yes, you're right, Paarma, the colours look too bold somehow.

I may leave them for this skin, or perhaps tweak them a little in Photoshop.

Thanks for the link; I had it somewhere, but now saved it again.

About Jeschonnek / Jeschonneck:

I'm beginning to get confused - German Wikipedia has him, and say, he entered the

Fliegertruppe in 1917. But then they write, he fought at the frontiers of Ober-Schlesien?

And they write Jeschonnek, while there is also Jeschonneck elsewhere.

Now I wonder, if there where two different ones, both pilots in WW1 ?

Hello,

i only know from a distant relative of my wife, Obermaschinenmaat Berthold Schilling, who died on airship LZ 104 (L 59) over the gulf of Otranto in 1918 - whence my quest for information on this. http://www.frontflieger.de/3-s-f.html Schilling can be found further down.

My father (born 1911) has been an engineer at the Junkers works in Dessau, seldomly flying a Ju 52 for transports. Widowmaker recently posted a story about a B17 "Ye olde pub", something like that happened to my father in France in a 52, but the other way round. In fact i would not be here writing, had the british pilot not spared him. Those incidents have seldomly made public, seems it did not fit into propaganda.

Greetings,

Catfish

About Hans Jeschonnek:

German and English Wikipedia contradict about him.

In English, I read, he was a Leutnant in Jasta 40, and had two kills by the end of the war.

In German, they say, he was a Flieger in Oberschlesien. Very confusing.

Thanks, Arto - I will work on the wings again. I will also do an own Lozenge version with

the clolours of that site you posted earlier.

My Grandfather on my mother's side was a motorcycle courier. I believe he got gassed somewhere along the line, and was invalided out. Ultimately, drank himself to death by the time he was 40, so not all casualties of that war died on the field of battle.

Well, after having seen World War One, drinking could be excused as a late term consequence, I'd say.

Some things don't change then mate,my family are still fighting each other grin.gif

Here's a funny thing. Many of my ancestors were Borderers, who had blood feuds between families that lasted for many generations. But when they got run out of the then-new UK and came over here, they colonized together and intermarried like their fathers and grandfathers hadn't been burning each others' houses down for centuries. And that's how I ended up with so many Borderer ancestors blink.gif .