Sign in to follow this  
andqui

Since there's going to be another patch...

...do you think it might be possible to take a quick look at the altitude settings in the OFF manager?

What I mean is that when the flight altitude says 13000 feet, what that actually means is that the AI flight leader will take-off and then head to the front at 7-8000 feet, and then climbs up to altitude when reaching the patrol waypoint. After the patrol, they go back down to 7000 feet or so. So the effect is that, in 1918, when we need to be at 15000 feet to avoid getting bounced, we are really just strolling along at 8000 feet, except for a short climb, turn, descend at the patrol area. Why not just keep the altitude constant?

thanks

Not that I want to add anything to the Devs plate, but that is a good suggestion. It would also add a little more combat scenerio variety to the game by allowing us to bounce the enemy from up above a little more often instead of almost always being the one getting jumped.

Hellshade

Bouncing enemies isn't easy, because they see you coming. I'm a bit light on OFF experience trying this, but I know using the Schragemusik in CFS3, you couldn't sneak up on the bombers 'properly'. To make a movie of a typical attack, you had to fake it and make the bomber a friendly. You couldn't make an AI target fly normally as you approached, simulating that it hadn't seen you, and suddenly react when it came under fire. Be a nice development to see resolved, but it's hard coded I believe.

When I recall, I think I even tried building missions to fly as a Mosquito nightfighter stalking German nightfighters, I had to make the German planes 'friendly'. OK it took the challenge out of it, but then again, using Frosty's adapted TAC altered to look like a H2S radar screen, all targets friend and foe were just black dots on a green screen. You had to get close to identify them by sight before firing. It wasn't a complete milk run, because there were also real enemy nightfighters hunting me, just black dots themselves. There were a lot of compromises to get it to work, but the tension and immersion levels flying in the dark with your eyes peeled watching blips on a screen, went beyond 'fun' and passed into stress. heat.gif

Edited by Flyby PC

A fair point, Flyby. I mis-spoke. I shouldn't have said "bounced" since that means having the true element of suprise. I met it would be nice to have an altitude advantage so you get to choose a little more often if you want to engage or not. And if it were to wait until Phase 4, that would be just fine by me.

Hellshade

well, it is possible to breathe for long periods of time at 11000 feet. Quito sits at around 9500 feet.

But my point is that it is a bit irritating to fly as a wingman and only stooge around at half the intended altitude for 7/8 of the time, wide open for anything to come down upon.

...Quito sits at around 9500 feet.

Might we assume you are from Quito? Certainly there would be no problem. But when you're sleeping at near sea level, and going to work at 10,000, there's going to be some heavy breathing going on. I'd drop down to 8,000 for the homeward leg.

A 1917 Era engine . . could be set up for High Altitude Work, but it would be a DOG below 8000

Carburators were rather crude, Hell the rotories didn't even use one grin.gif

I dunno, Unc. Quite a few things dating from 1917 flew for hours at altitudes of 15k or more. Gothas, DH-4s, Rumplers, etc. Both planes and people could stand it.

hi,

i can't confirm that. i'm as often higher than the enemy as he is higher than me. i like it to have different altitudes in missions. every alt has it's advantages. the main operation area is always with the assigned altitude. the way towards it and back might vary, but that's ok. it's the same for the enemy. it always depends when of each assigned mission you meet them.

No we won't be doing anymore in that area, we really need to get on with P4?

Set the max Alt in workshop should help but that's it.

Pol: ...we really need to get on with P4...

Why that haste? We have just got P3, and would like to enjoy it.

No we won't be doing anymore in that area, we really need to get on with P4?

Set the max Alt in workshop should help but that's it.

I can live with that no problem. I got BHaH when it first came out...9 months ago is it? It was fantastic when it came out. It has improved to "beyond amazing" (or as someone else said "classic flight sim territory") and it is still the only game I load up to play regularly besides Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. It will certainly keep "as is", with the exception of whatever plane packs you put out, until Phase 4 is released. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Hellshade

Lol Olham, well it's not haste but there's a lot of work to do to make a P4, and I'd rather start in this decade ;).

Thanks Hellshade :)