Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

What's Stopping You?

I've no doubt bitten off more than I can chew here, but at least I've stepped up to the plate. Gmax is free, the CFS3 SDK is free, and there are quite a few folks around here to ask for help. So if you want to see your favorite plane that ain't in OFF so far, go make it yourself. Or at least make a new skin for something in the game. There are free analogs of Photoshop out there, too.

All it takes is time and practice. True, this is time you could spend flying instead of modding, but IMHO there aren't enough skinners yet and WAY too few plane-builders. So give it a try and see if you like it. If you don't, no harm done because while you were trying it out, you at least didn't kill your favorite pilot grin.gif .

I always wanted to learn to use the Gmax but although started a couple of times, never managed to get over the learning curve. I suppose I'm getting old. And I can do some skinning work, did already for IL2 and FSX, used to work as a graffic artist for many years, but I'm not sure which skin isn't already made, I mean the historic ones.

And if I make it to finish a model of an airplane, then what? How does it comes into game? I suppose it has to be with a patch or to some next Phase, has to be intergraded with airfields and squadrons, right?

I am interested but without knowledge Sir! itifonhom

I always wanted to learn to use the Gmax but although started a couple of times, never managed to get over the learning curve. I suppose I'm getting old. And I can do some skinning work, did already for IL2 and FSX, used to work as a graffic artist for many years, but I'm not sure which skin isn't already made, I mean the historic ones.

I'm an old, gimpy, drunken curmudgeon with a lot of other things on my plate, but I chip away at Gmax a little every day or so. Especially right now, when I'm under doctor's orders to quit chipping at flint for the time being. One of these days, I'll have it figured. That's only the 1st step in making a plane, but it's a big one.

As for skinning, knock yourself out. I don't make historical skins--neither do most other skinners. First off, there are so many ace skins in the game already, with more to come, that it's more trouble to research who hasn't been done yet than it is to research how to do a specific ace skin. Second, the non-ace skins for included squadrons are generally already there, too. So, most folks just roll their own. This was, after all, the golden age of personal markings.

And if I make it to finish a model of an airplane, then what? How does it comes into game? I suppose it has to be with a patch or to some next Phase, has to be intergraded with airfields and squadrons, right?

If you make a new plane, it will only ever work in QC and MP. There's no way to add it to the campaign and OBD doesn't take user submissions for a variety of good reasons. But, this is still better than nothing.

Check out the downloads section (link is at the top just under the logo) to see what all has been done already by users.

Lookin real good BH!good.gif

I've tried using Gmax about 3 times before and found it way too complicated and beyond my abilities, but this time Im giving it one more try. Taking it real sloooow and researching everything that needs to be done and how to do it thoroughly. So far I've got a pretty good start on an Aviatik C.I.

-Rooster

Lookin real good BH!good.gif

Thanks, but it's really crap and I'm sure it'll only get worse. I fully intend to skimp on a lot of things and just hit the high spots. I'm viewing this plane as a learning experience for me. IF (a big if) I ever finish all the things that need doing, I'll do something up all nice and pretty.

I've tried using Gmax about 3 times before and found it way too complicated and beyond my abilities, but this time Im giving it one more try. Taking it real sloooow and researching everything that needs to be done and how to do it thoroughly. So far I've got a pretty good start on an Aviatik C.I.

I look forward to seeing it.

Hi BH,

This is something that I really should explore. I can't grumble about certain kites being missing from OFF unless I take some steps to rectifying the situation: most people know I'd kill for a SS DIII/IV, Big Ack, etc, so I suspect that it won't really harm my cosmic soul to do a bit of work!

Can you tell me where I can get hold of the software involved, and what sort of PC spec you need to run said software?

Cheers,

Si

Can you tell me where I can get hold of the software involved, and what sort of PC spec you need to run said software?

If your computer can run OFF, it can run Gmax no problem.

First off, you need Gmax, which you get here.

To make planes for OFF, you need the CFS3 SDKs from Microsoft, which are available here. The only one you really need is the "Aircraft, Vehicle & Building SDK v1.5", but get the others just in case MS pulls the plug on this site in the future. You never know where your creative talents will lead you...

Install Gmax, then install the SDK. The AV&B SDK installs as a "gamepack" into your Gmax tree, the others into your CFS3 tree. Once you get the AV&B SDK installed, look through its gamepack with Windows Explorer. You'll find some docs which won't make much sense to start with, and also a Gmax shortcut. Always run Gmax from this shortcut (copy it to your desktop) because this is set up to load the necessary plug-ins that let you make CFS3/OFF planes. The big thing here is being able to export models in .M3D format, which is what the games use. Regular Gmax won't do this.

Having done this, go to the OFF "Photoshop and Paint Shop Help for Skinning and 3D Modeling" forum here at Combat Ace and in the stickies, find Stumpjumper's thread about a great Gmax tutorial. That's very good at showing you what goes into making a flyable plane for CFS3/OFF, and after reading and doing it, the SDK's docs will suddenly make sense. This tutorial also links to several others which are very good for the nuts-and-bolts of making an airplane that looks good.

Time factor for me. I'd love to master Gmax, but too many conflicting interests. I've attempted the GMax tutorial about 3 or 4 times, I've done the spikey mace thing about 3 times, and the ramped space base thingy, but then I don't get the time to go any further, and when I do, I've forgotten it all.

Hopeless case I'm afraid. I hardly even fly at all these days, BhaH or CFS3, and even my multiplayer days are a thing of the past, - and that was a lot of fun. I used to make videos too, but haven't even taped any footage for donkeys years....

I once hoped to build a CFS3 version on the Eastern Front, with Stalingrads grain silo, tractor factory and Pavlovs house, the Kremlin, Gumrack and Pitomnik, but I don't see that happening. It's a full time job in itself. For a while I was quite inspired with OFF and MAW, and there seemed to be a real creative community out there taking an interest. Don't want to dredge up the past, but MAW seemed to take too much out of its people, and the stress fractured the whole community. The later add-ons, PTO and ETO etc have their moments of absolute brilliance, but collectively never quite hit the spot for me, .....but that's another story.

OFF is unique in so far as it started out as the best, but every release gets better and better. It really is something pretty special. I'd even be tempted to start making vids again, but I immediately hit the buffers with my lack of knowledge about WW1. I'm working on it, but 'knowledge' is pretty superficial until you arrive at the same conclusions coming from multiple opposite directions. It all takes time, and I like to get things right.

The film I'd like to make would also need the earlier planes too... I could improvise I expect, but there's no hurry while I'm digging deeper into WW1.

It's good to see some encouragement for more Gmaxers. You don't have to be good before ideas start bouncing around, suddenly you have a community of builders all learning from each other, and who knows what that can lead to...

Finally finished up my Aviatik C.Ia model. It was definately a learning experience....a long, frustrating learning experience, but I got her done. Theres a few mistakes and parts where you can tell that I was getting impatient, but its way better than I ever thought I could do. I didnt make a skin or FM since it was just for getting a grip on Gmax, But now I ALMOST know what I'm doing.

post-45810-12552527515927.jpg

post-45810-12552527688996.jpg

-Rooster

good.gif

Rooster, that looks outstanding, first effort or not, good on you Sir for tackling the Gmax program. Bullethead, kudos to you as well for the same effort and for getting this topic started here. I do intend to take on the Gmax learning curve myself, and am hoping for a quiet winter that will allow me to do so. I would love to build an early-war kite or two.

Cheers!

Lou

It was definately a learning experience....a long, frustrating learning experience, but I got her done.

"Amen" to that! I've loved 3D modeling for years and have used about a half dozen apps., but I never could get my head around 3DStudioMax, or its cousin, G-Max. I've bought tons of books which had tons of advice on all sorts of problems, except mine. I'm convinced that the only way to reduce the learning curve on these two apps. is to be sitting next to someone who's already good at it so you can ask questions. Well done, Rooster! It's a beautiful model.

Finally finished up my Aviatik C.Ia model.

Damn, that's very good! Congratulations! Drinks on me drinks.gif .

You're obviously more ambitious than I am (I picked a monoplane for my 1st attempt) and do better work than I've got so far.

Very nice engine there, especially. Did you find separate drawings for it, and if so, where? I'm having a Hell of a time finding good drawings of a Le Rhone 9J.

I do intend to take on the Gmax learning curve myself, and am hoping for a quiet winter that will allow me to do so. I would love to build an early-war kite or two.

The more, the merrier.

While you're waiting for the proper time to really get into a plane, I suggest you begin now building up a library of parts you'll use a lot, such as MGs and rotary engines. MGs at least are fairly simple compared to planes so are good for teaching the basics of the Gmax interface and methods.

Thanks for the kind words guys, they'll serve as encouragement for my next model. Hope to see some models from you this winter Lou.

BH: I couldnt find any seperate 3views for the engine, so I just slid my model back a little and eyeballed it with my Aviatik 3view to get the proportions close. Then I found a good photo of the engine and added in the details.

-Rooster

Thanks for the kind words guys, they'll serve as encouragement for my next model. Hope to see some models from you this winter Lou.

BH: I couldnt find any seperate 3views for the engine, so I just slid my model back a little and eyeballed it with my Aviatik 3view to get the proportions close. Then I found a good photo of the engine and added in the details.

-Rooster

This is great stuff guys, and I'm going to move this thread into the Modeling, Skinning area. Someday, if I ever have more time, I'd like to try this myself.

All the best,

OvS

Finally finished up my Aviatik C.Ia model. It was definately a learning experience....a long, frustrating learning experience, but I got her done. Theres a few mistakes and parts where you can tell that I was getting impatient, but its way better than I ever thought I could do. I didnt make a skin or FM since it was just for getting a grip on Gmax, But now I ALMOST know what I'm doing.

-Rooster

That's a good first model Rooster! good.gif Now you've got it together, have look at the tutorial on smoothing in this link:- http://www.sim-outho...ead.php?t=15533 and see what use you can put it to!

And hello Flyby, good to see you're still in circulation! bye.gif

Edited by hairyspin

Kudos to you guys!.... I am very impressed by your Aviatik Rooster!...And I also look forward to your future efforts BH...and indeed all the modellers! :drinks:

Thanks for the link to the tutorial hairyspin. Im trying to find an easy to follow step by step tutorial on how skin it and lay out the maps like they are in OFF with everything being on one DXT image. Can you reccomend any good ones?

Thanks Widowmaker, its not OFF quality by any means but I'm kinda proud of it.

-Rooster

Edited by Rooster89

Thanks for the link to the tutorial hairyspin. Im trying to find an easy to follow step by step tutorial on how skin it and lay out the maps like they are in OFF with everything being on one DXT image. Can you reccomend any good ones?

Thanks Widowmaker, its not OFF quality by any means but I'm kinda proud of it.

-Rooster

And so you should be proud Rooster!!!...If that is a first effort, I cannot wait to see your future work!!!!! :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

-Rooster

Uncle Milton is your man; his excellent C162 tutorial covers mapping in very good detail:- http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

Don't be put off by the FS9 flavour, most of his stuff is directly applicable to CFS3/OFF.

Alright so I need a Regristration code to run Gmax where do i find it?

Nevermind, sorry about that.