Sign in to follow this  
Ryan H

The sopwith pup.

Is the Sopwith Pup a deadly weapon? Was it that good in real life? That thing can turn on a dime and flys great! I've done two missions with my new pilot and I'm starting to question its flight charicteristics. My first flight was a scramble; I downed 5 enemy Alb. DIII aircraft. Second mission, another scramble; I downed 8 enemy Alb. DIII aircraft. The thing is though I dont think my wingmen (all 5 of them!) got anything. I know its not me, I dont consider myself to be a gifted pilot because I've been blasted out of the sky hundreds of times. It seems strange that I can turn the Pup on a dime and pull it to the sky on its propeller but why dont my wingmen fly it like that if its so agile? Just curious I suppose. Thanks for any feedback.

The Pup is a wonderful little fighter, and it was historically one of the most beloved British fighters of the war. It's extremely easy to fly and when mastered, can be deadly in the right hands. I've had some of my most successful OFF careers flying the Pup.

And you're probably a much better pilot than your wingmen, especially if you're flying in a not-so-elite squadron. Have fun with the Pup! :grin:

The Pup is a wonderful little fighter, and it was historically one of the most beloved British fighters of the war. It's extremely easy to fly and when mastered, can be deadly in the right hands. I've had some of my most successful OFF careers flying the Pup.

And you're probably a much better pilot than your wingmen, especially if you're flying in a not-so-elite squadron. Have fun with the Pup! grin.gif

Sounds great! I had a feeling it was something like that, thanks for the re-assurance!

yes do have fun with that little beast, in the right hands it can be a killer.. and fun to fly to boot.. ;)

some planes just are really to hard to fly unless you get many hours in it to learn how it handles in my opinion, (a good example flew a spad the other day for my first time.. that was bucking around like a stallion.. ) damn thing reminded me of a Focke Wolfe in its handling.. just overall tricky to fly in unskilled hands..

The pup was easy, turned on a dime, and deadly!! so have fun

my 2 bits worth..

Blue781

It is a very nimble aircraft. I just wish that stupid face guard wasn't right in the way.

It is a very nimble aircraft. I just wish that stupid face guard wasn't right in the way.

yes it is quite annoying isnt it.. :drinks:

I like the Pup too (though I can't speak for the Alb drivers!)...they dont seem to like them much!! :grin:

In fact...I think I will skin one!

(I mean paint a Pup...Not skin an Alb Pilot!....although, saying that......) :grin:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

It's annoying, but the trade-off is the open space in the upper wing.

The Pup is without a doubt the most even-tempered kite you will ever fly and fight in. She forgives even the most ham-fisted pilots and makes them look like aces. If you can't fly a Pup and look like Commander Joe Fall doing it, you may be in the wrong sim :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

The Bordeauxred Baron:

Oh, I like Pups - vizz mustard! Mmuahahahahaaaaa!!!!

No, honestly - zey fly as beautiful as a butterly -

ant ar as easy to make "kaputt" - Mmuahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

Olham:

I tried it some time ago, and you had to hold it to fly straight forward - it seemed

to have a strong urge to climb, which it can do well with little effort. It was easy to fly.

But view is a bit poor, when you come from an Albatros or a Pfalz; large upper wing

with an "attic window" (otherwise the pilot wouldn't see whom he chases), and that

more than annoiing ring in front of your face.

Since I have developed my shooting to some extent, I may try it again, cause the

flying bit is real fun. But it doesn't appear to me as a fighter really. Must give her

another campaign to find out.

(I mean paint a Pup...Not skin an Alb Pilot!....although, saying that......) :grin:

*Note to self: Don't get shot down in Widowmaker's sector.

I really enjoy flying Pups. No bad habits at all, able to do all sorts of crazy turns at ridiculously low speeds, very easy to land, etc. I feel invincible when I fly it.

However, it does have a few of drawbacks......

1. It's rather flimsy.

Don't get too wild with it at high speed or you might break it. It's not as easy to break as a Nupe or Albatros, but it does happen occasionally (especially if you've taken wing damage). Fortunately, you can hear it creak ominously, which is usually sufficient warning to back off. Also, it doesn't need many hits before its performance is seriously degraded and not very many more will do fatal damage somewhere. So it's rather important to use the admirable maneuverability to stay out of the way of Hun bullets.

2. Very low firepower.

Only 1 gun, and it fires very slowly. You'll rarely see more than 6 rounds in a 1-second burst. Problem is, Albatri are rather tough birds. Thus, you have a choice of saddling up and hosing them over a long period of time, or trying for precision shots into their vitals. I prefer the latter because when I follow Albatros #1 too long, Albatros #2 gets me on me, and the Pup can't take any punishment. I find it best to try for short-range, high-deflection snapshots into the engine, radiator, or pilot, rather than following a target all around. If you get good at this, you can fly with only 75% ammo or less, because you'll be getting 2-3 kills per sortie with only 100-200 rounds.

3. Low speed and weak climb.

These mean that if an Albatros wants to play with you, you have to fight. It also means that most of your fights will begin with Albatri swooping on you from high above. The Pup has more macho at 16,000' than the Albatros, but you're very unlikely ever to get near that height to find out. Anyway, at the beginning of a fight, the Albatri will be way faster than you after their dives, and you're totally unable to follow them up in zooms. So stay in the horizontal mostly just concentrating on being hard to hit, until the Albatri blow their E to a level where you're all over them.

She underpowered and lacks real firepower, but she compensates for this by being incredibly nimble and agile, she's perfect for a turning dogfight, but just don't try to outrun anyone in her.

I downed 8 enemy Alb. DIII aircraft.

The Pup is good, but downing 8 DIII's is a bit ridiculous (although I have seen where many AI crash due to bad piloting down low, and we get the credit).

Is this with labels and TAC turned off, so the visibility limitations of the Pup are imposed? If not, I would suggest perhaps increase the difficulty by turnng that stuff off.

The Pup is good, but downing 8 DIII's is a bit ridiculous

My thoughts exactly. That was without tac or labels. What helped was that everyone was so close together and the Pup can turn so fast that its easy to get a 360 degree view of the battlefield and pick your next victim. The Alb pilots were flying like crap though. Climbing, stalling, then diving back down and doing it again. seemed very strange.

The Pup is a nice little flying machine. I prefer it to any of the Alb aircraft, even if it's slower and underpowered. The Pup is reasonably sturdy and does just about whatever you want it to. In the event of a power loss, it can glide for miles.