Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Two Blue Max Replicas on eBay: LOOK!

Greetings All,

Just a quick notice to anyone that's been wanting an early-style replica of the Orden Pour le Mérite, there are two remaining at the following eBay location:

Blue Max Replicas; 2 Available

I mention these because nearly all the OPLM replicas that come along are the later type with the art-deco style eagles. The ones this fellow is offering are the older, late 19th early 20th century style. Now, due to the quality of the photos its a bit hard to be sure, but I've gone ahead and purchased one myself, (he had 3 to start with). They appear quite nice with very good detailing, and I have a hunch these are older repros as I have not seen anyone making this style lately. Might be a pig in a poke, but on the other hand if they are of a higher quality by a German maker such as Wagner they will be worth far more then the "Buy Now" price. And even if they are not, they still look to be of nice display quality. Just thought some of you might be interested.

Cheers!

Lou

Great offer, but I have one already, thanks! :grin:

By the way: do you know what the "F" under the crown stands for?

Frederick. He was the German Emperor that instituted the Blue Max medal. drinks.gif Prost

I thought it was Friedrich, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

I was lucky enough to spend fifteen years in Germany as a kid (Mom's German, from Weisbaden) so I learned a few things.good.gif

Okay - and then you went to the States and "americanised your memories":

it is "Friedrich" instead of Frederick, and "Wiesbaden" instead of Weisbaden.

(But that's okay - our names must be hard to spell sometimes)

Of course it is Friedrich II (Der Große) who instituted the Pour le mérite in 1740. BTW Oberstleutnant Marquise de Varenne was the first officer who was awarded with the PLM

Okay - and then you went to the States and "americanised your memories":

it is "Friedrich" instead of Frederick, and "Wiesbaden" instead of Weisbaden.

(But that's okay - our names must be hard to spell sometimes)

I have pretty much forgotten all my German. It's been over 20 years since I've been back. I can still understand quite a bit when my mother speaks German with her friends or her family. I just don't speak it myself anymore. When my Dad was alive he wouldn't let us kids speak German around him. Go figure?

Oh dear - yes, I think I know why.

Here's where I got my Knights Cross a few years ago, solid-silver frame on an iron core, made on one of the genuine WW2 jigs apparently:

http://www.nicholasmorigi.com

Put pour le merite into their search engine (page-link doesn't work, sorry), they have a few. The solid-silver one costs a fortune but I'm not impressed with it's enamel-work, looks a bit rough.