Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Its official. Tis my favorite game ever!

Well, I am ashamed to admit it but I had doubts & reservations as to when I spent the $30 about a month ago for this Over Flanders Fields package.

At the time I was perfectly happy in my little WW2 universe with IL2-1942 on the pc and birds of prey on my xbox 360. In fact, I had just gotten my 120" screen set up with the projector & my lazyboy, for online xbox birds of prey goodness:

091920096389.jpg

091920096392.jpg

Then one day in the il2 birds of prey forum, somebody asked if there was a good WWI sim and somebody else suggested OFF. Well I scoffed, and the devil on my left shoulder said WWI is sooooo sloooooow compared to WW2, why would anybody wanna fly an underpowered kite? And the angel on my right shoulder said, hey dumbass remember Red Baron from Dynamix back in 1990, you know that game you were addicted to and played like mad when you were a teenager, the game where you would comb the huge manual over and over at school when you werent playing because you were so facinated with the stories of the aces and the whole shabang? I was like yea Red Baron was amazing, but its so dated now and I tried Red Baron 3d and I hated it and I am scared to try courting WWI again because I was so hurt and disappointed with Red Baron 3D!

So, I came over and checked out the site, I must admit that I was pre-set on convincing myself that WWI just was not for me anymore, but I instantly got a good feeling, because the website was very charming, well layed out, the colors and artwork just seemed so right. So I hung around for a couple of days, read the forums, read the FAQs, debated purchasing, talked myself out of purchasing, left, came back, left, came back, read the forums, read the FAQs, debated purchasing, talked about OFF with my girlfriend who is a licensed pilot that makes fun of me for playing flying games and not actually taking flying lessons and she said, "Buy it, WWI is far more interesting (she also used to play Red Baron back in the day).

So I took the woman's advice and bought it, but its funny to me how long I waffled over a simple $30 purchase, I guess I just had some sort of emotional issue with Red Baron and my dissapointment with Red Baron 3D. Now I know there are some diehard redbaron 3d fans out there so let me clarify. At the time of RB3D I had a crappy, crappy, celeron gaming computer that ran it like crap. At the time, I did not know a whole lot about computers, so I had no idea that I needed a better computer (and or graphics card) to get the graphics and features to make it an enjoyable experience. Pre 2002 I was only used to plug and play games and computers so I guess I was lucky back in 1990 because my dad had some top of the line computers for the time that were able to play the original red baron perfectly. So alas, at the time of RB3d my computer was crap, so maybe I never gave the game a fair shake and unfortunately for RB3d it is too late now!

Anyway back to the topic at hand. After burying a few DID pilots in the beautiful poppies, the addiction had set in and now this $30 purchase has cost me over $650, because some prick bastard (lol) on the forum here suggested that a FFB joystick was the way to go and also, my GF was making fun of my CH gear so after searching around I came across the logitec G940 and had to have it (its amazing with OFF!) and then I saw that this game was supported in SoftTH, and I tried it with my big 30" and mismatched old samsung 19" lcd and it WORKED! So then I got to searching and found two dell 20"s on ebay that matched up to my 30" and BAM, I now have nearly 180 degrees of WWI immersion goodness!

102320097528.jpg

Did I say this game has cost me over $650? I'm sorry but that is wrong, it has now cost me over $1,000 because I have ordered an XFX 5870 because my 8800 ultra is having difficulty cutting it at 4960x1600 res and I wanna move some more of those candy sliders to the right!

So yesterday, without naming names because that gets pilots killed in OFF lol, I earned the Blue Max! And have to say that even though I have a PRICK BASTARD CO that only verifies about 1/3 of my claims, I absolutely love this game. It is my all time favorite and I have an entire xbox and lazyboy setup collecting dust. My pre-orders for several xbox and PS3 games have gone unclaimed because I have no desire or time to play anything else. My hats off to the entire OFF team! You have done an amazing job and I can't wait for the future to see what you will eventually be able to do when you have your own game engine and don't have to go off of CF3 although you did an amazing job with that platform!

BlueMax.jpg

A heart warming tale. :grin: Great GF BTW! :salute: You're doing something right.:kisses: Thanks for telling us about your OFF evolution I only wonder if you will struggle to pay for the add-on pack when it is available? :lol:

• Like 1

hee, hee...good one RC

appraiserfl, great story, and I soooo want your OFF gaming set-up. SWEET!

Cheers!

Lou

• Like 1

Uncleal, having read your post above I had to see what it was that I am missing since my OS is Vista. I read post 49 and found that my experience was contrary to your statement of CFS3 QC being non-operational or that it messed up the install for Vista users. I am able to operate in CFS3 QC and rather enjoy the Gotha. Maybe I have moron's luck :dntknw: and maybe others with Vista have trouble but it's not my experience.

RC- Oh I think the decision to get any expansions at this point will be more or less much like a reflex reaction lol.

RAF-L I love my setup! You know having one 30" with trackIR is something else and I was truly spoiled with that, but now with the 20"s flanking it I can see so much more with less head movement with the trackIR. My situational awareness has literally doubled! I just single handily put five Nieuport 17s into the grave because I was able to keep all of em in view! It was a beautiful fight, I kind of felt like a zen judo master because I was able to stick and move, stick and move, and the minute one came at me from behind I would pull a sort of immelman and come right at them and stick the leader in their lufberry chain. Truly spectacular and that is why I say once you go three screens you won't go back. I thought my setup was obscene and it is, but now I want three 30s but I think my woman has her limitations lol! I would suggest people here look into AMDs 5000 gfx card series because they support EYEFINITY which allows three monitors of equal resolutions for gaming!

Uncleal- I'm running Vista64 ultimate and FF is a must! There are other issues with Windows 7 for me right now, namely my appraisal software does not support it yet, so I have to hold of on that upgrade. So far, OFF appears to be running very smoothly...I did have an issue off the bat with trackIR, but that is my fault for not having it selected in admin mode. Other than that I am very happy with Vista64 and OFF. The only thing W7 has that I really want is the ability to use an Nvidia GFX card an an ATI gfx card at the same time (not in SLI or crossfire).

BH- she has a sister, but the sister is not the same (and Ill leave it at that lol) as opposed to my GF who is more like sara connor lol. Kinda funny to be dating a woman that would rather talk about attack helicopters, muzzle velocities and jets instead of useless crap, but then again her daddy was a career military man so its not so surprising!

Edited by appraiserfl

apraiserfl,

I have been flying IL2 - 1946, the full edition with all expansions in it. It was great.

But then I found OFF. That was a year ago now, October 12th, 2008.

A date I may never forget. This was not only so much better - this was the FEELING

I had searched for all the time!

Since I have installed BHaH, my friends are worrying, this was an addiction.

I answer: Yes, of course it is! - what's wrong with that? :grin:

Does your GF have a sister? grin.gif

More to the point does she know how much you have spent getting the perfect setup for this sim?

More to the point does she know how much you have spent getting the perfect setup for this sim?

Lol, yea but were not married.....sooo its not like she runs my pocket book! Besides, when I get myself I toy, I usually buy here something she wants at the same time. Its usually an outfit, boots/shoes, a gun, or ammo lol. I am verrrrrry lucky because she does not care to much for jewely!

apraiserfl,

I have been flying IL2 - 1946, the full edition with all expansions in it. It was great.

But then I found OFF. That was a year ago now, October 12th, 2008.

A date I may never forget. This was not only so much better - this was the FEELING

I had searched for all the time!

Since I have installed BHaH, my friends are worrying, this was an addiction.

I answer: Yes, of course it is! - what's wrong with that? :grin:

It is an addiction, it is easier to control than a drug addiction, however make no mistake it is an addiction! Although it seems like its an expensive addiction it really is not. My corvette costs me nearly $1,500 a month after I factor in gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. whereas PC gaming costs me about 3 grand a year tops! I really am considering gettin rid of the vette as I barely drive it and after havin one for five years Im a bit over the experience. Id rather play OFF than cruize in it, is that bad or what?

06042007500.jpg

06042007502.jpg

IL2 is great, but it does not "put you there," like OFF does. As I said earlier, once I went tripple screen it was all over for me! I can't get IL2 to work in tripple screen because its opengl and softTH has many conflicts with it, but I dont really care because I most likely wont be playing IL2 until SOW comes out.

appraiserfl, where you live buddy? I wanna come help you play with your toys, hehe :notworthy:

Beautiful setup.. Thanks for your wonderful tale ;)

and when the expansion comes out it will be even better...

If these guys ever had the funds to buy their own engine.. well i wont go there because the level of awesomeness would be to great... hahahaha

Cheers and see you over the front! :drinks:

Edited by Blue781

Uncleal, much respect to you and I was not trying to say you are wrong. The situation with Vista and CFS3 QC may be user and machine dependent also. Like I said I may have moron's luck as I am not PC savvy.

A great compliment to OFF, appraiserfl, when you rather fly Over Flanders Fields, than to cruise in that car!

OvS will digest it double - he seems to be into cars a bit!

A great compliment to OFF, appraiserfl, when you rather fly Over Flanders Fields, than to cruise in that car!

OvS will digest it double - he seems to be into cars a bit!

Ohh well I love cars, love drivin em, especially corvettes. The best part about cars is you dont have to land em, lol. Im kind of like indiana jones in that respect haha, I can fly the plane, thats not the problem, I just have difficulty landing em.

But im ok to land in OFF, I wont say its very easy because I just had a 19 day stay in the Hotel De Ospital in sept 1916 because I had a landing mishap lol.

Heres my other vette I had prior to the black z51. This one is an 01 z06, and was probably the best car I ever owned.

DSCN2069.jpg

Edited by appraiserfl

Geeze - sell one of those cars and make a donation to OFF for their publicity/commercials!

They could do with some - they are still far too little known.

What did you crash-land in 1916? Let me guess - a DH-2?

Hope the boys smuggle in cigars and brandy for ya.

Geeze - sell one of those cars and make a donation to OFF for their publicity/commercials!

They could do with some - they are still far too little known.

What did you crash-land in 1916? Let me guess - a DH-2?

Hope the boys smuggle in cigars and brandy for ya.

Ahh the silver one is my old one, I sold that in 2007. The black one is what I have now, but I will probably sell it soon because its getting harder and harder to justify its cost :/

No I crash landed my german ace "Baron Gobel Hornswaggle Von Goldendiamond" into crumpet land so no cigars and brandy for me, only tea and biscuits :(

And now my latest ace, "Baron Gobel Hornswaggle Von DiamondWulf," has just bit the dust, with 25 confirmed and over 50 unconfirmed. It looks like the BlueMax he earned a few flights ago was the kiss of death for him, because he had a crash landing the next mission which put him out for 19 days and then he was never the same afterwards.

I am working on a product that could benefit OFF, but I won't get into that until later, still in planning phases, but who would I contact if I wanted to license something with OFFs permission?

I am working on a product that could benefit OFF, but I won't get into that until later, still in planning phases, but who would I contact if I wanted to license something with OFFs permission?

Write an E-mail to: support@overflandersfields.com

or a PM to OvS (he is one of the dev team) here from the forum

Write an E-mail to: support@overflandersfields.com

or a PM to OvS (he is one of the dev team) here from the forum

Thanks Olham, I will keep the info in my cap for when I'm ready!