Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Which Purple For Albatros?

Just wanted some feedback on the new J32b D.V's purple vs the stock lighter purple. I posted the Jasta 12 D.V's with the stock light purple last night. I just did a few with the darker purple. IMHO they look much better with the darker purple. Before anyone else downloads the Jasta 12 D.V's I would like to know from you guys if I should change to the darker purple. Which does seem more accurate. It's how it's done in Osprey's Albatros Aces Part 2.

Top or bottom?

I'd post them both, and I'm not being facetious. Color interpretation based on WW1 photographs and fabric swatches is problematic at best. I just don't believe that one color interpretation is better than another, simply because so many variables act on color. You could actually do a hundred variations of the purple and the green and all would be correct. Everything from very faded to factory fresh (very dark). And even in factory fresh, there would be variations in the paint batches.

I have some genuine green/purple German fabric stashed away somewhere...I put it away somewhere safe about four years ago and haven't come across it since! :dunno:

I remember the purple being quite dark though, definitely not lilac. I don't know the aircraft type it was from either, but I reckon it's quite representative of the general green/purple shades used.

When I get the chance, I'll turf out my little cubbyhole and try 'n find it. When I do, I'll post some photos if you want.

Aside from that, I totally agree with what Heck said.

Regards.

Bucky

I Agree as well. I know that getting the right shade of any color is impossible. But I figured while I'm doing fuselage markings and weathering, why not change the camo as well. Most profiles I've seen have a darker shade of purple. So thats what I use sometimes. I just happen to like the darker shade. Personal preference really. Just wanted to know if people might want the darker purple or the stock purple for the Jasta 12 D.V's. Mine now have the darker shade. I suppose I could post two in the same download. A lot more work though. I dont know. If people want it I'll do it. I've changed a lot of the stock skins in my game to make them more historically accurate. Some markings and colors werent right. Simple things really, like the white faceplate on the Jasta 2 Dr.1.s was missing. As was the upper and lower wing cross fields on most of the other Dr.1's. Some were white and some were over painted in olive paint. Just some examples. So I'm always changing things. Thats why I asked about the purple paint. I even try messing with the lozenge colors. I'm very limited these days for purchasing any other books, so I really rely on other peoples (you guys) research and input. I do my share of internet reading, but everything is limited. Need to join or pay for profiles in most sites. There are sooo many books I wish I had in front of me right now. But you all know that WWI books are not cheap. It's frustrating to do, for example, only 2 Jasta 32b D.V's knowing there is a whole book out there just for Jasta 32b with lots of pics.

Personally, I kind of like the darker...Never much cared for the Lilac... :dntknw:

Paint was probably the last thing on the minds of supply to the German front lines in 1914/18 let a loan the colour. I bet no one knows the correct shade of colour. I have not seen many colour photos of WW1 aircraft only the ones touched up by printers in books. You go ahead quack74 what ever you turn out mate is good many thanks for all the time you and others put into this great sim.

If I may just add my thoughts I would some a little rough round the edges with oil streaks paint flacking off and well used. Please don't take this as a criticism of any work that's just my thought's.

• Like 1

If I may just add my thoughts I would some a little rough round the edges with oil streaks paint flacking off and well used. Please don't take this as a criticism of any work that's just my thought's.

I'm not sure if I understood you don246. You would like more oil stains and weathering? Or less? I never wanted to go too crazy with the wear and tear. Some people dont like dirty planes. I like'em dirty and used. Criticise all you want. That's what these forums are for. I take no offense from the input from any of you guys. It usually helps to make things better. Infact I would like more Criticism. I just want to make stuff that everyone would like to use.

I like weathering also, it adds a lot of character. For the purple, I would vote for 75% dark purely based on aesthetics. I also think it's impossible to really know an "accurate" color. Even if you could, the perception of color varies with size, distance etc., so it's really an art not a science.

More weathering was the word I should have used is what I would like to see like flaking paint work and oil stains round the engine cowling. This MoraneN is a good example of what I mean.

post-21673-12572084987848.jpg

Edited by don246

Good. I always want to make the planes look used and beat up. I just thought everyone liked them better clean. So I only added a little wear and tear on my other skins. Next batch I'll do more. Thanks guysdrinks.gif

By the way, tomorrow I'll add the dark purple version of the Jasta 12 D.V's. I'll edit the current download file. So there will be 10 light purple and 10 dark purple. So everyone can chose for themselves. Just re download the Jasta 12 D.V file when you see it has been edited.

Hey bucky, I'd like to see that wing fabric. Post a pic.good.gif

Edited by quack74

Hey bucky, I'd like to see that wing fabric. Post a pic.good.gif

Me and my big mouth! :mega_shok: ..That means I've got some serious sorting out to do! I'll start digging sometime this week.

On the subject of weathering, I would politely suggest that you don't overdo it...Your skins are just about right in the wear 'n tear department already, IMHO.

Me and my big mouth! mega_shok.gif ..That means I've got some serious sorting out to do! I'll start digging sometime this week.

On the subject of weathering, I would politely suggest that you don't overdo it...Your skins are just about right in the wear 'n tear department already, IMHO.

Hey bucky, I would "like" to see it. I dont "have" to see it.grin.gif Dont go digging through your stuff just for a pic in this threadno.gif . It's ok, when you get it you get it.

Hey bucky, I would "like" to see it. I dont "have" to see it.grin.gif Dont go digging through your stuff just for a pic in this threadno.gif . It's ok, when you get it you get it.

Nah,...just, er,..how you Americans say: "Busting your balls?

It's something I've been meaning to do for ages. But never do today what you can put off till next year. That's my motto.

Hey, man, you have my address. Looking forward to it! You can throw that Sop prop in as well. Thanks!

LOL!...I bet you must be thinking I've been holding out on you all this time, eh Jim?

Nothing personal man...I just hate tidying up, that's all.

I just hate tidying up, that's all.

You and Daisy from KUA!

No, but I've seen Sanford and Son so I have an idea! Hey, I'd be doing you a favor taking that prop off your hands. I tell you what, I'll even pay for half the shipping.

In short, if it's near enough it's good enough. Paint technology was still a reletively new science at the outbreak of the war. Whilst most natural pigments had been already superceded by more stable synthetic compounds developed during the Industrial Revolution, the suspensions and base colour may still have been derived from organic sources. Linseed oil and lead based whites were still commonplace and their rate of degradation when exposed to the elements would have affected the colours. The emerging car industry in the years leading up to the war and advances in the internal combustion engine during the war accelerated petrol-chemical technology resulting in a range of stable by-products suitable for paint production. But it was not until the 1920's that modern paints as we know them started to appear. I think the variation in the colours that each 'skinner' chooses adds an authenticity, in some way mirroring what would have probably happened at the time. Pilots would have chosen a 'livery' for their aircraft and had it painted maybe, to reflect some of their own personality. Whether it be to instill a fear into their opponents or create a feeling of security within themselves when they climbed aboard their 'trusty' machine. This is more prevalent with many of the German Aces seeming to have a greater artistic licence and drawing on their ancestral past for inspiration.