Sign in to follow this  
RobK

Stand alone install - how to do?

Good morning, All,

Could you provide me with some guidance on how to do a stand alone install for SF2V, SF2E and SF2I? I've done several searches, and topics are found that mention stand alone installs, but I've not been able to find out how to do one. I see that several of the mods suggest or require stand alone installs, and I'd like to use them if possible.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Warmest regards,

RobK

Good morning, All,

Could you provide me with some guidance on how to do a stand alone install for SF2V, SF2E and SF2I? I've done several searches, and topics are found that mention stand alone installs, but I've not been able to find out how to do one. I see that several of the mods suggest or require stand alone installs, and I'd like to use them if possible.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Warmest regards,

RobK

Rob

The only mods/campaigns for SF2 that is for a stand alone install that I am aware of is NF4+. To do that you have to install SF2:E to another folder other than your program files folder.

Which other mods are saying then need to be installed to a sep instal for SF2 series?

One of the nice things about the 2nd gen ThirdWire sims, is the ability to create stand-alone installs inside the mod folder. To do so (and using SF2E for an example in a merged install in the programs file folder, find the Thirdwire folder, copy the StrikeFighters2.exe and the StrikeFighters2.ini files , rename them "NF4.exe", and then run the renamed executable (NF4.exe).

This will create a new sub-folder within your mod folders named 'NF4" :grin:

Then, it should be mostly a matter of installing Nato Fighters 4 into that folder. You'll need to access NF4 using the renamed .exe file, of course.

Thanks to BPAo for providing the tip....

Edited by Fubar512

Rob

The only mods/campaigns for SF2 that is for a stand alone install that I am aware of is NF4+. To do that you have to install SF2:E to another folder other than your program files folder.

Which other mods are saying then need to be installed to a sep instal for SF2 series?

I did not know NF4+ had to be installed in standalone folder. I kinda installed it in my merged install. Still works.

I did not know NF4+ had to be installed in standalone folder. I kinda installed it in my merged install. Still works.

You are fine with a merged install. My recommendation is a sep install though. But that is my thing.

a separate install can be usefull if you want to keep a scenario clean of other objects. I have a seperate one for SF2 Vietnam and Israel as well as everything in a massive merge.

and, of course, NATO FIGHTERS!!

having them separate has helped in troubleshooting mods in work. For 99% of the time, the massive merge works just fine.

Good evening, all.

Wow, thanks for all the input! I think I am understanding how to do this, but I'll ask a few more questions if I could...

Dave, I think you're right that only NF4+ requires the stand alone install...I was under the impression that SF2V Air and Ground War Expansion Pack also needed it, but I don't see where that is the case. Sorry for the confusion. So when I install SF2:E, I save the executables to a different folder? Does the so-called mod folder go to the same place?

Fubar512:

Thanks for the tip. So if I copy the executable and the ini, but leave them in the same folder as SF2:E it will treat it like a separate install and set up it's own Mod folder in the appropriate place? Nothing else needs to be copied?

I was planning to install my SF2:E with NF4+ , SF2V with Air and Ground War Expansion Pack, then purchasing SF2 Israel and installing it separately and removing my old WOI (I've actually already removed WOI, and removed SF2:E and SF2:V in preparation for the above).

Once again, thank you to all who replied for your assistance and patience.

Warmest regards,

RobK